Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Raspberry Buttermilk Cake (Pare ve)

Amarante

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 4:16 pm
This was a simple cake to prepare and a useful idea of how to make a pareve dessert with buttermilk. I wonder how this would work in terms of fried chicken since buttermilk marinated fried chicken is a classic preparation

Raspberry Buttermilk Cake

(adapted from Smitten Kitchen, originally from Gourmet Magazine)

Makes one thin 9-inch cake, serves 6-8

1 cup (130 grams) all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon (2 grams) baking powder

1/2 teaspoon (2 grams) baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 stick (56 grams) margarine - I used Country Crock plant butter - for this recipe I used the one made with almond oil

2/3 cup (146 grams) plus 1 1/2 tablespoons (22 grams) sugar, divided

1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest

1 large (57 grams) egg

1/2 cup (118 ml) well-shaken cultured coconut milk (or soymilk curdled with 1 teaspoon lemon juice)

1 cup (5 ounces or 140 grams) fresh raspberries

Preheat oven to 400°F with rack in middle. Grease and flour a 9-inch round cake pan. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.

In a larger bowl, beat margarine and 2/3 cup (146 grams) sugar with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, then beat in vanilla and zest. Add egg and beat well.

At low speed, mix in flour mixture in three batches, alternating with coconut milk, beginning and ending with flour, and mixing until just combined. Spoon batter into cake pan, smoothing top.

Scatter raspberries evenly over top and sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons (22 grams) sugar.

Bake until cake is golden and a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack and cool to warm, 10 to 15 minutes more. Invert onto a plate.

In making this cake I used cultured coconut milk (it used to be called coconut kefir) in place of the buttermilk. It works great and I like to keep a bottle around for baking with, but feel free to substitute soy-milk curdled with a bit of lemon juice if you don’t happen to have the cultured coconut milk on hand.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins