Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Bar Mitzvah gifts: Lakewood/Jackson
1  2  Next

DVOM

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 8:28 am
Good morning all!

My oldest son is having his first Bar Mitzvah of his class next week. The Bar Mitzvah boy also happens to be a very close friend. What is the standard amount of money spent on Bar Mitzvah gifts in Lakewood/Jackson? My boys' school is one of the few that allows boys to invite their friends to their party. I'd also love some ideas of what gifts people give, aside for the usual seforim or Judaica.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 8:33 am
What we did for my son’s class in Lakewood is all the parents chipped in a set amount and that amount was given to each boy in the form of a gift card at the time of his bar mitzva. Pretty sure it’s the same school as your boys go to, as I think you’ve mentioned it. Can’t hurt to reach out to the other parents to see if they’re interested.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 8:39 am
Some schools boys chip in.
Otherwise we go to Lakewood judaica (James st) and ask for $12 Sefer. They wrap it for you and have an excellent return policy for the boys.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 3:40 pm
If you specifically want to get something on your own because it’s a close friend, for close friends I either give cash (if I want to give a decent amount - $50-$75 although some people give more) or a nice designer wallet from the outlets, which is around $50 (but I’ve gotten for a little less too).

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 3:58 pm
My son was just bar mitzvah. His favorite less expensive gifts were a personalized hat brush, a $25 visa gift card, and a personalized Tehillim. He was also excited to get his own “tikun” that Sefer that has standard text with Sefer Torah writing to practice leining. He enjoyed leining lol.

Most of the cash and checks gifts were in the $100 range.

DVOM

Post Sat, Aug 15 2020, 7:04 pm
Oh boy. 50-100$ is a lot of money! Wow. When classes chipped in for gifts, how much money did each boy give?

keym

Post Sat, Aug 15 2020, 7:10 pm
I started giving to some bar mitzvah boys customized name stamps that they can label their seforim and personal effects.
Prices run in the $18-$25 range.

http://www.judaicarubberstamps.....10-20

Here's one such place

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sat, Aug 15 2020, 8:04 pm
DVOM wrote:
Oh boy. 50-100$ is a lot of money! Wow. When classes chipped in for gifts, how much money did each boy give?

Way less... I think we gave 150 total for a class of about 30. Which is like $5 a boy.

amother
Brown

Post Sat, Aug 15 2020, 11:11 pm
My son enjoyed most the non seforim gifts. His most used gift was a beautiful watch. I later checked the price on Amazon and it was $20! Guess what we bought for our next friend's child's BM? Yup the $20 watch from Amazon.
He also loved the cash and checks even the $25 ones.
I believe that a child that isn't spoiled will be happy with any amount of cash. It doesn't need to be $50-100 at all.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sat, Aug 15 2020, 11:38 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
My son was just bar mitzvah. His favorite less expensive gifts were a personalized hat brush, a $25 visa gift card, and a personalized Tehillim. He was also excited to get his own “tikun” that Sefer that has standard text with Sefer Torah writing to practice leining. He enjoyed leining lol.

Where can you get the personalised gat brush?

DVOM

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 4:39 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
My son enjoyed most the non seforim gifts. His most used gift was a beautiful watch. I later checked the price on Amazon and it was $20! Guess what we bought for our next friend's child's BM? Yup the $20 watch from Amazon.
He also loved the cash and checks even the $25 ones.
I believe that a child that isn't spoiled will be happy with any amount of cash. It doesn't need to be $50-100 at all.

Ok, nice to hear another perspective!

20$ I think we could manage.

I really like the stamp idea... I know most of my son's friends already have watches.

Any other ideas in the 20-30$ price range? Links most welcome!!

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 5:41 am
keym wrote:
I started giving to some bar mitzvah boys customized name stamps that they can label their seforim and personal effects.
Prices run in the $18-$25 range.

http://www.judaicarubberstamps.....10-20

Here's one such place

This was my sons favorite bar mitzva present. Instead of the actual stamp he got a pamphlet with a choice of stamp and font types. He was so excited to pick out his own stamp and send in the pamphlet and then when the stamp came in the mail he was thrilled.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 5:48 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:

This really depends on your circles. My son didn’t get gifts close to that.
He got a lot of sefarim which is typical and many boys build their collection now and some checks from family and friends averaging in $36 range.

keym

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 5:51 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
This really depends on your circles. My son didn’t get gifts close to that.
He got a lot of sefarim which is typical and many boys build their collection now and some checks from family and friends averaging in $36 range.

Yeah this.
My son got mostly $25-$36 checks with only a few in the $100 range

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 6:23 am
DVOM wrote:
Ok, nice to hear another perspective!

20$ I think we could manage.

I really like the stamp idea... I know most of my son's friends already have watches.

Any other ideas in the 20-30$ price range? Links most welcome!!

Leather wallet which is also around 20 bucks on Amazon. My son is enjoying that on a daily basis.
The watch my son got was a really pretty one. Not the kind he wore before BM. In the beginning he saved it for shabbos but now he wears it daily.

keym

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 6:45 am
My son got a nice pen with his name engraved on it.
Kiddush cups.
Shofar
Seforim. He loved the basic and classic seforim sets. Mishna Brura, set of Mishnayos, etc

DVOM

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 7:04 am
Such great ideas, guys! Thank you!

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 10:17 am
I like Kodesh gifts. GC to sefarim, not materialisim velt. (wallet)

a check nice too. with a spiritual wishes card.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 10:19 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
I like Kodesh gifts. GC to sefarim, not materialisim velt. (wallet)

a check nice too. with a spiritual wishes card.

That’s nice, but what does the bar mitzva boy want? Not all 13 year olds are interested in sefarim. My son had a hard time spending his gift cards to judaica stores.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 11:57 am
My boys got a few sets of cufflinks that they enjoy.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics