Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Chabad names- how to still be unique??
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 8:28 am
I'm expecting another boy BE"H and already know that DH will want to give him a very lubavitcher name, and is already pushing for a Menachem (Mendel would be a bonus for him). I'm having a lot of trouble connecting with the name or liking how it sounds. I already gave my older son a 'chabad name' but it was one which I genuinely liked the sound of. I also have a DD called 'Nechama' which I feel is very similar to 'Menachem'. We'll be sending him to a chabad mossad with no shortage of Menachems and I feel uncomfortable with how kids get called Menachem X, Menachem Y, Menachem Z etc and feel like it really lacks originality.

Anyone advice?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 8:37 am
I don't know. Try a different chabad name?
Like a previous rebbe?
Not chabad, so maybe I shouldn't comment

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 8:43 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
I don't know. Try a different chabad name?
Like a previous rebbe?
Not chabad, so maybe I shouldn't comment

Lol! Shneur maybe..just as popular. Chabad is very much into giving their rebbes names. Not just Mendel.

Good luck op and b’shu tova.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 8:45 am
A name is given through ruach Hakodesh, don't push yourself to give a name you're not comfortable with.
I'm Lubavitch, my oldest is Menachem Mendel and I love it! It's a zchus to have a child with the Rebbes name and I'm so happy to have that opportunity. You have to give a name that you connect to and that you appreciate.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 8:48 am
I hear you, I'm chabad but have a very unique name, though I did name my first son menachem mendel for various reasons....

My next is named a more unique chabad name....

I suggest reading the family tree of the rebbaim - seeing their names and their children - there's many and see if one talks to you

WitchKitty

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 8:58 am
Maybe you can invent a unique nickname for him?

tree of life

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 9:04 am
Hi I'm chabad bh with 7kids some have chabad names with not chabad together
Then choose one of the other names to call your kid hatzlocha mazal tov

banana123

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 9:12 am
Go through the hakdama for Hayom Yom.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 9:16 am
banana123 wrote:
Go through the hakdama for Hayom Yom.

Ooh what's there?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 9:21 am
Every Menachem can be called Mendel FYI. Even if the name is just Menachem Chaim you can call the kid Mendel Chaim. I have a friend with a Menachem she calls Nachy so maybe that's different enough for you.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 9:24 am
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
Every Menachem can be called Mendel FYI. Even if the name is just Menachem Chaim you can call the kid Mendel Chaim. I have a friend with a Menachem she calls Nachy so maybe that's different enough for you.

I'd be worried about Nachy and my DD Nechama getting mixed up!

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 9:26 am
My name is Mushka and every single person I have ever met (outside of lubavitch ie even frum ppl who should know better, not to mention secular or not. Jewish) comment without fail on my unique name.

Anyways chill, wait til you give birth, you'll have 8 days to think about what suits your newborn, not something worth fighting or stressing over now

mum22

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 9:28 am
My Menachem is called Meni.

Choose a nickname that suits you.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 9:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ooh what's there?

So many different names. Some are really beautiful

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 9:29 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
My name is Mushka and every single person I have ever met (outside of lubavitch ie even frum ppl who should know better, not to mention secular or not. Jewish) comment without fail on my unique name.

Anyways chill, wait til you give birth, you'll have 8 days to think about what suits your newborn, not something worth fighting or stressing over now

I remember someone once saying "Wow Mendel, that's such a unique and beautiful name" and I told her it's the first time I've ever heard that LOL

banana123

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 9:32 am
mum22 wrote:
My Menachem is called Meni.

Choose a nickname that suits you.

Like Meni Naftali. Smile

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 9:32 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
I remember someone once saying "Wow Mendel, that's such a unique and beautiful name" and I told her it's the first time I've ever heard that LOL

Lol! DH said he can be unique when he goes out on shlichus in my home country (where there are next to no Jews) Tongue Out

Good Friend

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 9:43 am
If he wants to name after a Chabad Rebbe there is also Yosef Yitzchok, Sholom Dovber, Shneur Zalman, Dovber, Shmuel, Yisroel for the Baal Shem Tov, Levi Yitzchok is the Rebbe's father who's yortzeit is actually today, Yisroel Aryeh Leib- Rebbe's brother, gavriel Noach is also given as of the murder of the shluchim in India.
And there are many children of random, such as Chaim avrohom, Moshe, Menachem Nochum, Boruch, Boruch Sholom, Yehuda Leib, Yisroel Noach.

I could go on, or you could check in front of hayom Yom.
There are plenty of nicknames to make these names unique.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 9:44 am
Your husband chose last time, you choose this time. Maybe give after one of tour grandparents instead.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 9:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm expecting another boy BE"H and already know that DH will want to give him a very lubavitcher name,

OK, so we know what dh wants. What do YOU want?

You don't HAVE to give a kid a chabad name just because you are chabad. There are plenty of good, solid chabadnikim who don't have chabad names, especially the younger generation.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names