Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
I am opening a school in Bayswater-girls entering 5-8 grade
1  2  Next

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 12:40 pm
I am opening a school in Far Rockaway for girls going into grades 5-8. This will not be your typical Bais Yaakov/yeshiva day school. Class time will be shorter, learning (experiencing and discovering) will be longer and girl-lead (with supervisions but not direction) and there will be a lot of focus on the hows and whys of Judaism. Cost will be much less than traditional day school tuition.
If you or someone you know would like to hear more, please reach out to me.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 12:41 pm
Very interesting! Can you say what the hashkafah will be like and where it will be located?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 12:41 pm
Wow, that sounds amazing! Where were you when DD was struggling with traditional school?

Hatzlocha, may Hashem bless everything you do, every step of the way.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 12:51 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
Very interesting! Can you say what the hashkafah will be like and where it will be located?

I’ll answer the easy question first- it will be located in Bayswater (Far Rockaway) which is right near the 5T.
In terms of hashkafa, I’m not really sure how to define it, so I will just tell you what it will be. We will have a torah- guided hashkafa which will be imparted from a place of love. The girls will learn WHY we do things, not just what we do or don’t do. We will learn to love and accept all jews, whether they look like us or not. We will learn how to be solid future mothers of bnei Yisrael.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 12:54 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Wow, that sounds amazing! Where were you when DD was struggling with traditional school?

Hatzlocha, may Hashem bless everything you do, every step of the way.

Dude, where was I when I was in high school? Or even elementary school?!?!
I am so done with a system that focuses so much on what is NOT important, that they don’t have TIME to focus on what IS. I’m done with a system that expects every child to be the same, and penalized children JUST for being children. I’m done with a system that is about being better than everyone else, but not doing OUR best. I’m done with a system that focuses on how much Chumash, Navi, and Gemara they teach, but are not focused on how to apply those lessons to daily life. I can keep going on and on with what I’m done with....

yiddishmom

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 1:15 pm
Kudos to you!!!! Yay!!

May you have much success, and let's hope you will be the Sara Schenirer of this generation!

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 1:17 pm
yiddishmom wrote:
Kudos to you!!!! Yay!!

May you have much success, and let's hope you will be the Sara Schenirer of this generation!

Amen amen amen amen amen!!!!! As my mom always says, “from your mouth to God’s ears!”

icebreaker

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 1:33 pm
Sooooo awesome!!! Now you have me dreaming!! Wishing you all the success in the world!!!

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 1:40 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
I am opening a school in Far Rockaway for girls going into grades 5-8. This will not be your typical Bais Yaakov/yeshiva day school. Class time will be shorter, learning (experiencing and discovering) will be longer and girl-lead (with supervisions but not direction) and there will be a lot of focus on the hows and whys of Judaism. Cost will be much less than traditional day school tuition.
If you or someone you know would like to hear more, please reach out to me.

Why did you start 2 different threads about the same thing?

Lets_Eat_Pie

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 1:44 pm
I wish I had gone to this school Smile Best of luck!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 1:49 pm
Hatzlachah! Where do you see these girls going to high school? Or is the end game to have your own?

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 1:50 pm
icebreaker wrote:
Sooooo awesome!!! Now you have me dreaming!! Wishing you all the success in the world!!!

Amen, thank you!!

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 1:51 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Why did you start 2 different threads about the same thing?

I just put it in two different places. People outside of certain areas in NY may not look at the NY forum. I know I usually don’t.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 1:52 pm
Lets_Eat_Pie wrote:
I wish I had gone to this school Smile Best of luck!

Amen, thank you!!

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 1:54 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Hatzlachah! Where do you see these girls going to high school? Or is the end game to have your own?

It’s very possible that they will continue on into our own high school. Right now I’m focused on this year, and my daughter, who is going into 6th grade. I am opening it up to other grades because I have gotten questions from parents of older girls. I would like for this to continue into high school, because I don’t think any of the local high schools adequately prepare our girls for they life that THEY try to set them up for.

Zehava

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 1:55 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
I am so done with a system that focuses so much on what is NOT important, that they don’t have TIME to focus on what IS. I’m done with a system that expects every child to be the same, and penalized children JUST for being children. I’m done with a system that is about being better than everyone else, but not doing OUR best. I’m done with a system that focuses on how much Chumash, Navi, and Gemara they teach, but are not focused on how to apply those lessons to daily life. I can keep going on and on with what I’m done with....

Amen sister
I hope you’re also working on the part where girls have to sit quietly in one place for so long. So unnaturally painful for kids especially those more high energy.

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 2:02 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:

We share the exact same “hashkafa”.
In fact, if I’d live in that area I’d apply to be a teacher in your school! Wishing you loads of hatzlacha!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 2:19 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
It’s very possible that they will continue on into our own high school. Right now I’m focused on this year, and my daughter, who is going into 6th grade. I am opening it up to other grades because I have gotten questions from parents of older girls. I would like for this to continue into high school, because I don’t think any of the local high schools adequately prepare our girls for they life that THEY try to set them up for.

Sounds good. I would expect this question from the older girls' parents, particularly if the girls' skills will be on par for the schools they want/need to go to and if you have or are developing the relationships necessary to get them in.

Signed,
A mom who has done this before and felt the misery.

This was a big question when a Montessori type school opened by me. People were worried it would be too different and nobody would want the kids.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 2:29 pm
Zehava wrote:
Amen sister
I hope you’re also working on the part where girls have to sit quietly in one place for so long. So unnaturally painful for kids especially those more high energy.

Ugh!! Kids are not meant to sit quietly in their desks!! Class time will be much shorter- like 20 minutes, and most of the learning will come from the girls doing on their own- take the grammar lesson and write about what you did in science, following the grammar rules. Take what you learned in dikduk and figure out what something in davening means, or a perek of tehillim. Take what you learned in math, and apply it to baking or building. Make and take care of a garden. Let’s go to the park and learn there today. App of the above and more!!

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 2:30 pm
Surplus wrote:
We share the exact same “hashkafa”.
In fact, if I’d live in that area I’d apply to be a teacher in your school! Wishing you loads of hatzlacha!

Amen!! Thank you
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children