Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Intermittent Fasting - Calories and Hunger
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 2:35 pm
I am new to the world of Intermittent Fasting. I've perused The Obesity Code by Dr Jason Fung and am highly interested.

I have so many questions:
1) If previously I was on a 1500 cal diet, am I now supposed to eat 1500 calories during my eating window? SO two huge meals? What if someone is doing a 4-hr window - they eat all 1500 calories in 4 hours?

2) I am prediabetic and desperately want to keep my blood sugar lower. How long does it take to see results?

3) If I eat all my calories in my window, will I still be hungry the next day before breaking my fast?

Any tips, resources, websites would be great. I've started 3 days ago. I'm doing this to lose weight and lower my insulin. TIA.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 3:44 pm
I don’t suggest doing intermittent fasting. It’s extremely hard to keep to from what I understand and it’s unhealthy.
My best diet where I’ve Lost the most weight and maintained was when I ate healthy, balanced meals, healthy snacks and did basic exercise like walking a half hour to/from school.
[Reference to Tanya removed by mod. Tanya has sent a cease and desist order to Yael regarding posts about her, and therefore posting about Tanya is not allowed here.]
Intermittent fasting to me is basically a form of disordered eating which is unhealthy. I don’t recommend.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 3:49 pm
If you are pre-diabetic, cut all sugar, all gluten, all processed foods.
Eat whenever you are hungry, but only when you are hungry (not when you are bored or upset).
Eat no more than 1-2 fruits a day.

It will work wonders.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 4:08 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
I don’t suggest doing intermittent fasting. It’s extremely hard to keep to from what I understand and it’s unhealthy.
My best diet where I’ve Lost the most weight and maintained was when I ate healthy, balanced meals, healthy snacks and did basic exercise like walking a half hour to/from school.
[Reference to Tanya removed by mod. Tanya has sent a cease and desist order to Yael regarding posts about her, and therefore posting about Tanya is not allowed here.]

Intermittent fasting to me is basically a form of disordered eating which is unhealthy. I don’t recommend.

Tanya is a forbidden topic on Imamother

[edited by a mod. If you see a problematic post, please report it! Mods do not read every post. Thank you!]

lamplighter

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 4:13 pm
some people are very successful with intermittent fasting. start with fasting 16 hrs and break your fast on a protein meal.
People who do best on IF eat low carb during their window. Let go of the calorie counting.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 4:16 pm
Actually, intermittent fasting works very well for prediabetic and diabetics. If you are on facebook, join a group called reversing diabetes.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 4:19 pm
PM Andrea Levy on this board. She has reversed her diabetes and lost over 100 pounds so far. She has the most common sense and safe approach I know. She's really happy to share everything she's learned.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 4:22 pm
I've done intermittent fasting and it's really helped me! I basically stop eating for the day at 6 pm and don't eat anything till my coffee around 8 am and then I eat breakfast around 10. I drink water at night. Not sure if this is what you meant it works for me!

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 6:46 pm
Also going to say pm Andrea levy on here. Her story is amazing. She has deleted posts about her journey.

I’ve been doing intermittent fasting for 11 months now. I lost the weight I wanted (not a lot) the furs 3 months and didn’t lose since then. Just maintained.
I eat 1:30-9:30.
For me it’s the most sustainable diet I’ve ever been on.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 7:07 pm
This diet isn’t about calories. It’s about when u eat.

I was prediabetic and now only eat in a 2 hour window.

The only way I can do this is if I’m in ketosis. Otherwise I’m too hungry.

I’m all healed now after a few months. It’s life changing.

Good luck!

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 9:54 pm
Burlywood- did you eat whatever you wanted or you did a diet during those hours?

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 10:55 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Burlywood- did you eat whatever you wanted or you did a diet during those hours?

I don’t really diet. But I have so much less time to eat and snack. And if I want to eat some healthy food- there is only so much you can eat. And I’m not noshing all this hours I’m fasting.
But I eat plenty of treats. I think if I’d watch myself more then maybe I’d start losing again. But at this point I’m just happy not to gain.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 12:52 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
PM Andrea Levy on this board. She has reversed her diabetes and lost over 100 pounds so far. She has the most common sense and safe approach I know. She's really happy to share everything she's learned.

Thank you FF! All true! Op, pm me!

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 1:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am new to the world of Intermittent Fasting. I've perused The Obesity Code by Dr Jason Fung and am highly interested.

I have so many questions:
1) If previously I was on a 1500 cal diet, am I now supposed to eat 1500 calories during my eating window? SO two huge meals? What if someone is doing a 4-hr window - they eat all 1500 calories in 4 hours?

2) I am prediabetic and desperately want to keep my blood sugar lower. How long does it take to see results?

3) If I eat all my calories in my window, will I still be hungry the next day before breaking my fast?

Any tips, resources, websites would be great. I've started 3 days ago. I'm doing this to lose weight and lower my insulin. TIA.

I’m of the opinion that one might start with a low carb way of eating and progress to longer fasts over time, as Jason Fung Says, by growing your fasting muscle.

I’m not particularly dogmatic about fasting but I do consider it an important part of keeping my body guessing.

I think a great food plan to start with us NSNG. No sugar, no grains, ( including no starch and fruit. All food you can buy at your local store. REAL food.

I eat to satiety. It’s a process. I really hate the way I feel when I overeat so I am careful that when I eat, I’m not stuffing myself and regretting later. I don’t count calories.

Everyone gets different results in different time. I was insulin resistant probably for 49 years ( baby formula) and severely obese. My results have taken longer than some people but I am very consistent so don’t you be worrying about other people, just you. If you do this, a combination of real and low carb good with intermittent fasting, you will get better. Sometimes you can see it and sometimes not but you have to keep at it. That’s the secret.

Re your question about being hungry. There is no real answer for it but trial and error. Today I ate twice mid day and if I ate again tonight I’d be starving in the am because my digestion slows overnight which somehow makes me hungry in the am. I break my fasts at different times but for example Sunday fasted thirty or so hours from Shabbat lunch and was just fine. Today I think was around 12 hours fast and eating over a five hour window. I switch it up but am slwAys very careful about the types of good I eat. I have very strong boundaries on that and never cheat because it keeps me from craving, believe it or not.

Another good book- why we get sick by Benjamin Bikman and the diabetes code by Jason Fung.

All y Th he best to you. You can do this.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 1:07 am
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Also going to say pm Andrea levy on here. Her story is amazing. She has deleted posts about her journey.

I’ve been doing intermittent fasting for 11 months now. I lost the weight I wanted (not a lot) the furs 3 months and didn’t lose since then. Just maintained.
I eat 1:30-9:30.
For me it’s the most sustainable diet I’ve ever been on.

I deleted posts about my journey?!?! What do you mean?

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 1:36 am
andrea levy wrote:
I deleted posts about my journey?!?! What do you mean?

Probably autocorrect from "detailed!"

You are amazing Andrea, a real inspiration to so many of us!

For me, I do some intermittent fasting, but I would never be able to give up fruit. Pizza would be hard to give up, but fruit would be impossible!

I do 14-16 hour fasts on many days, once you get past the mental hump it's really no big deal.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 10:32 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
Probably autocorrect from "detailed!"

You are amazing Andrea, a real inspiration to so many of us!

For me, I do some intermittent fasting, but I would never be able to give up fruit. Pizza would be hard to give up, but fruit would be impossible!

I do 14-16 hour fasts on many days, once you get past the mental hump it's really no big deal.

Thank you! I think it’s great that you are doing what works for you! I think the hardest part IS finding what works for you. I don’t think people have to go as far as me but if they had as hard a time as me, then doing what I do might help them as it does me.

My main message is definitely doing what works for a person! And to keep doing it!

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 12:00 pm
It's funny, because when I look at my eating patterns, I've always done intermittent fasting, long before I ever knew it had a name. It's part of my natural rhythm.

I have never been able to eat breakfast. My stomach takes a long time to wake up. One cup of coffee, and that's it. "Most important meal of the day" does not work for me, it just makes me queasy.

By lunch time, I'm usually doing stuff around the house, working, or too distracted to sit and eat. I may feel hungry, but I push it off a bit. Lots of water with a bit of lemon juice, or some pure pomegranate syrup.

I'll have an early dinner, with lots of protein, a big salad, some sauteed veggies, and maybe some watermelon if I get hungry later. If I want a treat, I'll have a little bit of 70% or higher dark chocolate. Lots more water, for the rest of the night. Having a large cup with a straw makes it effortless. Unsweetened fruit concentrate like black cherry is really nice in the water.

It's too early to see if I'm actually losing pounds, but my IBS has cleared up quite a bit since I started keto.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 12:20 pm
Can you explain a bit about intermittent fasting? What’s the logic behind it?
I realise that I also tend to just not eat for hours after a big meal (if I had a big satisfying breakfast I’ll skip lunch, if I had a big lunch I’ll skip dinner etc.) and usually don’t eat breakfast until hours after I’ve gotten up because I’m just not hungry. I have gotten into the habit of drinking coffee in the morning but also not first thing.
Is this something I can pursue in a more structured or constructive way?

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 1:33 pm
I didn't read all of the replies, sorry if already mentioned what I'm about to share

In short, my favorite resource is the podcast, Intermittent Fasting Stories by Gin Stephens.

I love IF. It fits beautifully into my lifestyle & I'm already seeing health benefits even though I'm relatively new to it.

People who criticise it I'm sure are well meaning, but I think are simply ignorant about what it really entails & offers people. For some IF sounds radical; it might give people associations with disordered restricting types of fads; it might simply go completely against what most of us have grown up hearing, "dogma" about how to eat & how to lose weight.

The two books that I hear are most currently popular & helpful, are:
An easy read, for the layman, Gin Stephens book Delay Don't Deny.
And for a heavier, more science based version, there's Dr. Jason Fung's The Obesity Code.
Another resource is Dr. Fung's websites is the Diet Doctor.
Back to the IF Stories podcast, one thing that I like about it, is that rather than YouTube videos on IF where way back I found mainly young, already healthy random people sharing in more of a fad, hype way, often with immodest pictures & it can sound unprofessional & not too credible, these podcasts are often people in their 40's, 50's & up, by health care professionals, I just heard one by an obgyn, then a registered dietician, accountants, teachers, people busy with families etc; it's less "sensational" & more practical then some of the YouTube kinds of content I had been seeing when initially researching, & I found the podcasts in that respect refreshing & more practical.

Some things I've Learning on the way:

- some people think IF goes along with a Keto diet. It can, & Dr. Fung often teaches about this, but one thing Gin Stephens encourages is that each individual will come to see what aligns well with their own body.
It might be keto - some do keto & after a long time (after much healing has taken place by not just weight loss, but also the potential myriad of health benefits people are finding, like it's impact on type 2 diabetes, just the tip of the iceberg) then might then shift towards eating a more varied diet, more wholesome carbs or whatever makes sense to them.
IF doesn't require a particular diet (in the 'foods-choice' meaning of the word) & isn't a "diet" either (in the restricting calories for weight loss sense of the word).
Gin Stephens Shares that she lost a lot of weight eating fast food while IF, & overall her tastes changed; that plus "appetite/hunger correction", today she gravitates to more wholesome [eating]"window worthy] foods. There's just no rule, it's very individual, other than the fasting piece.
*It obviously doesn't mean that one will be healthy just fasting and then eating french fries, hamburgers, chocolate and pizza*; however the process of allowing for gut rest, & the balancing out of hormones, & the insulin resistance issues which can repair - that the fasting itself when done wisely, does the body just so much good in and of itself.
(& fasting for longer & longer, doesn't necessarily make it better; a common ratio one can experiment with to start out is roughly 16:8, 16 hours fasting, 8 eating. My ratios change day to day.)

- Body composition changes via IF, where many share losing inches & fat, but the scale stays higher than they'd expect. One's clothes can be a better marker for weight loss. (Muscle weighing more, bone density increase...)

- it takes some patience. For me the adjustment has been so far relatively quick, but for others, it can take some time for one's body to learn - from the lack of constant spikes in insulin via grazing & "keeping one's metabolism up" as we've all been taught - for the body to shift into accessing its energy more from our own energy "pantry", our fat storages, which is called autophogy.
For some it's a bumpier adjustment that might take a few weeks or it sounds like a few months, & for others it's much, much quicker.
I love the IF Stories podcast, because story after story, I'm hearing what I'm seeing in myself, that after decades of trying to calorie restrict, diet, you name it, IF has been a surprisingly, relatively simple process. People share about liking the heightened clarity during the fasted state.

I feel so good & am less hungry, people are calling this "appetite correction", leaving go of the addictive, sometimes constant feeling the urge to be running on quick glucose sources for energy all day.

- Some resources say fasting can include fat, or sugar alternatives. Gin Stephens & Dr. Fung don't agree. They propose that during the fasting window, to only include black tea, coffee, water etc, only unflavored seltzer, it's point being to keep insulin spikes out of the fasted state. For many this sounds insurmountable.
(I've come to see that switching to black coffee wasn't as inconceivable as I though it would be. It's pretty nice blended up with ice, it tastes "creamy" when blended into a foamy, slushy drink. After just a week or so, I had already not missed my creamy coffees too much, & if I want, will often open my "eating window" with a bulletproof coffee or whatever.

- Finally, it's good to have some salt water during the fasted state. People like Himalayan salt which supposedly has a higher mineral content? I'm not totally sure of the science here, but it sounds like simply that salt water helps to keep electrolytes & to retain one's hydration, eliminating potential headaches or lethargy otherwise. I just intuit how much to have based on how I feel each day, & with a little salt water along with my black coffees, I feel really good, & overall more energized each day during my fasting windows than I did prior to incorporating IF into my life.

I just wanted to share all of this detail, because it's been so very helpful to me, I'm just so grateful & wanted to offer this info to others in case it helps even just one other person.
Hatzlacha raba!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise