Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
I will no longer tip the grocery driver
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 1:36 pm
I gave a tip online but he left it at my doorstep and did not bring it inside. I will not be tipping online anymore.
Vent

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 1:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I gave a tip online but he left it at my doorstep and did not bring it inside. I will not be tipping online anymore.
Vent

Thanks. Vent accepted.
I am sorry that for 2 bucks I didn't bring the order into your cabinets but I do understand your frustration.

Your grocery driver.
Tongue Out

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 1:43 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Thanks. Vent accepted.
I am sorry that for 2 bucks I didn't bring the order into your cabinets but I do understand your frustration.

Your grocery driver.
Tongue Out

Excuse me, who's talking about putting the order into the cabinets? My grocery charges for delivery and they also charge a tip. For delivery charge I expect the guy to bring the boxes inside and not leave it outside sometimes without even knocking on the door. I'm not supposed to be shlepping up my grocery order, that's part of their delivery services.
OP, you should definitely let the store know about this.

LiLIsraeli

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 2:04 pm
Due to Covid-19, most grocery stores are not allowing their drivers to enter people's homes, for everyone's safety.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 2:09 pm
LiLIsraeli wrote:
Due to Covid-19, most grocery stores are not allowing their drivers to enter people's homes, for everyone's safety.

The groceries in my neighborhood don't have this policy. And they wear a mask. They don't need to bring it all the way inside, they can knock on the door and leave it right inside the door. They can bring it up the stairs as well.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 2:09 pm
LiLIsraeli wrote:

THIS.

Also, most people don't WANT a driver in their house, considering they were probably in everybody else's house too. Who knows what he may have picked up, and then brought into your house?

If the groceries are at your front door, how far can they be from the kitchen anyway?

I just got a SodaStream delivered. The box was heavy so the guy brought it into my kitchen, but then he just handed my the receipt and booked it on out of here. He didn't hang around to unbox it, set it up, and explain everything to me. I get it. That's life these days. I think I'll figure it out on my own.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 2:13 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
THIS.

Also, most people don't WANT a driver in their house, considering they were probably in everybody else's house too. Who knows what he may have picked up, and then brought into your house?

If the groceries are at your front door, how far can they be from the kitchen anyway?

I just got a SodaStream delivered. The box was heavy so the guy brought it into my kitchen, but then he just handed my the receipt and booked it on out of here. He didn't hang around to unbox it, set it up, and explain everything to me. I get it. That's life these days. I think I'll figure it out on my own.

Some people live on a fourth floor in a building without an elevator. They pay for delivery and tip so they get the items delivered to their door.
I'm pregnant and am not supposed to lift heavy things. My husband gets home from work around 8PM. If they leave my order downstairs at 2 PM then it means my food is getting spoiled.
I had this once, I ended up walking up and down 5 or 6 times with fridge or freezer stuff, which totals to 20 flights up and down. Also not recommended.

ETA- Instacart always delivers upstairs to my actual apartment door. My supermarket usually does too, but I get very very annoyed when they don't. If it happened on a regular basis I would first try complaining, if nothing was done I wouldn't be able to shop at that store.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 2:25 pm
Just tip in cash (or ice cream when it’s hot) after they bring in boxes.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 2:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Vent

I hope ur kidding. Are u aware there’s a pandemic going on and workers don’t risk their health going into homes? Go ahead and hold back your dollar bill and make a chilulHashem.

number

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 2:27 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
THIS.

Im guessing you don’t live in a building. Taking something up the steps isn’t the same thing as entering someone’s home.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 2:31 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Some people live on a fourth floor in a building without an elevator. They pay for delivery and tip so they get the items delivered to their door.
I'm pregnant and am not supposed to lift heavy things. My husband gets home from work around 8PM. If they leave my order downstairs at 2 PM then it means my food is getting spoiled.
I had this once, I ended up walking up and down 5 or 6 times with fridge or freezer stuff, which totals to 20 flights up and down. Also not recommended.

When I lived in Manhattan, I was at the top of a 4th floor walk-up. It was horrible. I can't even imagine doing it pregnant. Are they leaving your food in the downstairs lobby, or up to your own door?

Is there any way you can ask a neighbor to help you bring groceries into the house? If not, you could at least get the frozen stuff, and bring in a couple of items at a time.

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 2:32 pm
At wits end really frustrating!
What’s even more frustrating is that every single question here since March ends up turning into a covid debate.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 2:32 pm
number wrote:
Im guessing you don’t live in a building. Taking something up the steps isn’t the same thing as entering someone’s home.

I have a feeling op lives in a private house. Maybe I’m wrong.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 2:35 pm
As others have posted, stores are delivering through contactless delivery. They will leave it at the doorstep.

There is a difference between leaving it at your front door if you live in a private house and leaving it outside on the street if you live in an apartment building. They are not supposed to leave it on the street if you live in an apartment building but are supposed to bring it to the front door of your apartment.

I have all my groceries delivered and they bring it up to my apartment front door but don’t come inside my unit. I don’t want a delivery person coming inside. They text me when the order has been left.

If there is some reason, that you are physically unable to retrieve groceries from outside your door, you can leave a note in the delivery instructions. In my experience, the delivery people will go inside if a person is elderly or physically disabled. At that point, the person getting delivery is more at risk than the delivery person because it is unlikely they have exposed themselves.

Because of the pandemic, I am tipping more generously than usual as I am tipping about 20% of the total. The person who delivers also shops for me so they are really providing a service as they spend time selecting and paying and then delivering. All this during a pandemic so I really am grateful they are providing this service so I don’t have to do it myself.

ETA OP lives in a private house and seems to want the delivery person to come into her house rather than leave it at her front door. Delivery services are instructed to leave at front door now. If you live in an apartment building, they are supposed to leave it at your front door. But it is nit reasonable to ask a delivery person to enter a house during the pandemic in general. Once it is at front door, unless someone can not walk, they are able to slowly take items out of the bags and bring inside by themselves.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 2:39 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
I hope ur kidding. Are u aware there’s a pandemic going on and workers don’t risk their health going into homes? Go ahead and hold back your dollar bill and make a chilulHashem.

They're risking their health just as well by walking on the street and going to work. Putting the boxes right inside the door is less of a risk than being on the street or at work. The pandemic is not an excuse to leave groceries outside or downstairs.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 2:42 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Excuse me, who's talking about putting the order into the cabinets? My grocery charges for delivery and they also charge a tip. For delivery charge I expect the guy to bring the boxes inside and not leave it outside sometimes without even knocking on the door. I'm not supposed to be shlepping up my grocery order, that's part of their delivery services.
OP, you should definitely let the store know about this.

My grocery store they still don’t bring the groceries inside. They used to, and if I happen to get to the door right as they’re dropping AND it’s a super nice delivery guy, he may toss the boxes into my hallway for me, but that doesn’t usually happen. I don’t tip them cuz I don’t usually see them- they dump, knock, and run.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 2:44 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
THIS.

Just for the record, not everyone’s kitchen and front door are close to each other. My door is in the front, middle of my house, and my kitchen entrance is in the back, off to one side. It’s not FAR, but when I’m carrying a box full of drinks, it doesn’t feel super close either.

number

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 2:48 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
I have a feeling op lives in a private house. Maybe I’m wrong.
Oh. I assumed it was a building because that’s happened to me and it’s infuriating. If it’s a private home then never mind.

number

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 2:49 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
Just for the record, not everyone’s kitchen and front door are close to each other. My door is in the front, middle of my house, and my kitchen entrance is in the back, off to one side. It’s not FAR, but when I’m carrying a box full of drinks, it doesn’t feel super close either.
If there are no steps involved then my kids push it for ne.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 2:51 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
They're risking their health just as well by walking on the street and going to work. Putting the boxes right inside the door is less of a risk than being on the street or at work. The pandemic is not an excuse to leave groceries outside or downstairs.

Ridiculous and untrue
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette