Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Upsherin Cupcakes

kenz

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 8:23 pm
Can anyone advise me on an easy yet adorable way to decorate cupcakes for an upsherin? I don't love the idea of using fondant because I'm not proficient at it. I would even buy little edible decorations if anyone knows of anything like that.
Thanks!

happy chick

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 8:32 pm
You can make black and whites (I know you said cupcakes, but maybe it will work for you) , but best if you make them yourself so you can make the black part smaller (as the yarmulka) and then on the white part make eyes/mouth/etc.

Frumme

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 8:33 pm
If you can find a Hebrew alphabet mold, you can melt chocolate, fill the molds, and let set. Then frost your cupcakes with colorful or vanilla frosting and top each cupcake with a chocolate.

Or even easier, frost each cupcake and then stick a premade Hebrew letter cookie in each one 😉

kenz

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 8:35 pm
happy chick wrote:
You can make black and whites (I know you said cupcakes, but maybe it will work for you) , but best if you make them yourself so you can make the black part smaller (as the yarmulka) and then on the white part make eyes/mouth/etc.

Thanks! I've seen these and they're really cute - I just have no patience to make cookies... I find cupcakes so much easier.

trixx

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 8:35 pm
@craftsbyesty
Get customized cake toppers and stick into plain frosted cupcakes

kenz

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 8:36 pm
Frumme wrote:
If you can find a Hebrew alphabet mold, you can melt chocolate, fill the molds, and let set. Then frost your cupcakes with colorful or vanilla frosting and top each cupcake with a chocolate.

Or even easier, frost each cupcake and then stick a premade Hebrew letter cookie in each one 😉

Thanks! Definitely a possibility, but I'd like something a little more colorful and fun if possible. I guess I could do different colors for the letters, but that kind of eliminates the easy part of it... Wink

kenz

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 8:38 pm
trixx wrote:
@craftsbyesty
Get customized cake toppers and stick into plain frosted cupcakes

Thanks! Do you know if there is a website, or do you have to request what you want?

Stars

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 8:50 pm
Why don’t you just buy a tip and pipe fancy frosting over them? Look on YouTube for a tutorial.

kenz

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 9:01 pm
Stars wrote:
Why don’t you just buy a tip and pipe fancy frosting over them? Look on YouTube for a tutorial.

Thanks, I know how to do that but I want some more decoration, upsherin-related.

Stars

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 9:06 pm
kenz wrote:
Thanks, I know how to do that but I want some more decoration, upsherin-related.

How about the alef beis mild idea with colorful candy melts, or white chocolate that you color with food coloring?

kenz

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 9:11 pm
Stars wrote:
How about the alef beis mild idea with colorful candy melts, or white chocolate that you color with food coloring?

Definitely a possibility - I just don't love working with chocolate molds. (I know, I'm being picky, but I've gotten some really great help on Imamother so I figure it's worth persisting...) Very Happy

Good Friend

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 9:38 pm
kenz wrote:
Thanks! Definitely a possibility, but I'd like something a little more colorful and fun if possible. I guess I could do different colors for the letters, but that kind of eliminates the easy part of it... Wink

Probably easier to do different color frosting- just make one bowl of plain white frosting (or buy) and divide into small bowls and add different colors of food coloring. Then the letters can be 1 color and it's still colorful.

I recently made chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting and colorful sprinkles and then drew letters with melted chocolate piped out of a Ziploc bag onto wax paper, in the freezer for 20 minutes and then I easily removed the chocolate letters and stick them standing up onto the cupcakes.
It really was easy and colorful because of the sprinkles.

kenz

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 9:47 pm
Good Friend wrote:
Probably easier to do different color frosting- just make one bowl of plain white frosting (or buy) and divide into small bowls and add different colors of food coloring. Then the letters can be 1 color and it's still colorful.

I recently made chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting and colorful sprinkles and then drew letters with melted chocolate piped out of a Ziploc bag onto wax paper, in the freezer for 20 minutes and then I easily removed the chocolate letters and stick them standing up onto the cupcakes.
It really was easy and colorful because of the sprinkles.

Okay, we're getting somewhere. Very Happy
This is definitely along the lines of what I was thinking. How did the letters come out? Did they look "professional"?

gonewiththewind1

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 10:00 pm

Last edited by gonewiththewind1 on Thu, Apr 01 2021, 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

kenz

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 10:09 pm
RoyalDiamond wrote:
Make two curves with strawberry syrup on moon cookies, and stick them into cupcakes for 3D effect

Hm - cute - if I'm picturing it right. Thanks!

gonewiththewind1

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 10:12 pm

Last edited by gonewiththewind1 on Mon, Dec 06 2021, 8:36 pm; edited 6 times in total

bsy

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 10:14 pm
My mother once did aleph beis chocolate molds and put the cupcakes on toy train tracks with a letter on each cupcake.

Good Friend

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 10:45 pm
kenz wrote:
Okay, we're getting somewhere. Very Happy
This is definitely along the lines of what I was thinking. How did the letters come out? Did they look "professional"?

Not super professional, although my lack of effort was probably a factor. I made them for something not very important so I didn't try hard to do a good job.

trixx

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 11:12 pm
kenz wrote:
Thanks! Do you know if there is a website, or do you have to request what you want?

It's all custom made so message for what you want
She has a site but not a lot of products listed there
https://www.etsy.com/shop/craftsbyesty/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins