Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
ASAP - apt help Monsey.
1  2  Next

Rebotzinjr1

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 11:59 am
Hi.

I’m reaching out bec I’m getting desperate. I’m divorced with a kid, my ex is making me move back to Monsey. I have been looking for an apt since lag boomer, no joke. I can afford up to 2000 a month w utilities.

Besides the lack of apt, most people won’t even let me come to VIEW the apt once I say I’m divorced.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m really stuck

Blessing1

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 12:00 pm
What area and what size are you looking for? There are apartments listed in kol hatzibur.

Rebotzinjr1

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 12:02 pm
Anywhere not the center near blueberry other than that I’m flexible

Rebotzinjr1

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 12:03 pm
Those are all chassidish, once they hear I’m divorced they hang up

Blessing1

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 12:13 pm
Rebotzinjr1 wrote:
Those are all chassidish, once they hear I’m divorced they hang up

Oy really? That's sad. Why does it matter?

Rebotzinjr1

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 12:21 pm
No idea but that is what I’ve been dealing with. Really frustrating as I have no where to live

Blessing1

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 12:24 pm
Did you try the apartments advertised in the community connections?

watergirl

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 12:29 pm
I don't Monsey area very well. But why are you limiting your search to that location specifically? Monsey is huge! Are you only willing to rent from chassidim? Also, this is illegal. Fair housing laws protect you. If you get hing up on again, you have a case against them... so I am assuming you are not looking at legal rentals?

By the way, my husband’s ex is divorced and she lived in literally 10 rentals in Monsey. At least. And I know many other divorced women who rent with no problem there.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 12:33 pm
watergirl wrote:
I don't Monsey area very well. But why are you limiting your search to that location specifically? Monsey is huge! Are you only willing to rent from chassidim? Also, this is illegal. Fair housing laws protect you. If you get hing up on again, you have a case against them... so I am assuming you are not looking at legal rentals?

By the way, my husband’s ex is divorced and she lived in literally 10 rentals in Monsey. At least. And I know many other divorced women who rent with no problem there.

She said anywhere BUT Bluberry area. She's not looking for a specific location, just not near there.

Simcha36

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 12:35 pm
Do you drive? pls pm me, I may know of something...

Also, why was it ok for you until now to reisde elsewhere?

Would you want a good attorney (not cheap) who maybe can evaluate if he can help you stay where you are?

Last edited by Simcha36 on Tue, Aug 11 2020, 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

watergirl

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 12:36 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
She said anywhere BUT Bluberry area. She's not looking for a specific location, just not near there.

You are right, I reread.

If thats the case and she has all of Monsey to move, the divorce should not be an issue. MANY divorced people rent in Monsey.

newbie613

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 12:36 pm
Why do you say you’re divorced?

Simcha36

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 12:39 pm
newbie613 wrote:
Why do you say you’re divorced?

landlord want to know who is your spouse, what does he do for a living

they have the right to know who they rent to

if they dont want a single lady, better not to go see it. some rent only to ppl from their group, some only to ... - whatever, doesnt even matter why.

Plenty of divoced reside in Monsey.

There are enough landlords who will rent to a single lady, assuming she has the ability to pay rent. and references . (that goes for everyone, single, married)

esuss

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 12:44 pm
Why can't you say "I am divorced but I work or I have income from ___ source and I have references that I can provide you if I see the apartment and I like it." or something to that effect? That worked for me.

little neshamala

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 12:45 pm
There are tons of neighborhoods in monsey where you'd be able to rent just fine. The fact that youre divorced isnt a problem...but its very very hard to find apartments now because of covid...all the newly marrieds who were going to fly off to Israel are stuck here for now, and theyre taking a lot of the apartments...also a lot neighborhoods will only advertise thru whatsapp groups they trust and word of mouth

watergirl

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 12:48 pm
Simcha36 wrote:
landlord want to know who is your spouse, what does he do for a living

they have the right to know who they rent to

if they dont want a single lady, better not to go see it. some rent only to ppl from their group, some only to ... - whatever, doesnt even matter why.

Plenty of divoced reside in Monsey.

There are enough landlords who will rent to a single lady, assuming she has the ability to pay rent. and references . (that goes for everyone, single, married)

All of this goes on the application. They ask to see pay stubs to show income.

It is literally illegal to deny an application to someone based on marital status, occupation (as in, choice of occupation), what group they belong to... it DOES matter why.

The Fair Housing Act (Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968) introduced meaningful federal enforcement mechanisms. It outlaws: Refusal to sell or rent a dwelling to any person because of race, color, disability, religion, relations, familial status, or national origin. https://www.hud.gov/program_of.....rview

I once worked for a tenant placement company. One owner said he would only rent to white collar tenants. Guess what? The company was shut down because they discriminated. They should have told this owner they cant work with him.

OP, make sure you are looking at LEGAL rentals. You have a better chance of not being discriminated against.

IMHopinion

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 12:53 pm
They’re scared you won’t be able to pay your rent if you’re a one adult household.

watergirl

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 1:12 pm
IMHopinion wrote:
They’re scared you won’t be able to pay your rent if you’re a one adult household.

If thats the case, do they also hang up on kollel families or SAHM families?

crust

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 1:48 pm
watergirl wrote:
If thats the case, do they also hang up on kollel families or SAHM families?

Yes, they will want someone to back up newlyweds. They will rather rent out to someone that has Section 8 because it gives them more security.

I am not justifying anything but if I would've invested in any asset, the mature thing to do is to rent it out sensibly.

We can all be idealistic until it comes to our own money or assets.

I am so sorry OP. I hope you can find a place. I do know many divorcees that rent in Monsey.

Do you have a Rav that can vouch for you? Do you belong to a kehilla? Do you have any connections there?

I think maybe someone in Rabbi Steiners Kehilla might be able to help you.

Rebotzinjr1

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 3:56 pm
Hi all. First of all thank you for all your responses.
Yes I’ve been looking in ALL the papers that come out
Most are looking for chosen Kalllah
I have offered to give reference, co sight exct
Legal apt (non jewish) won’t take bec I don’t make enuf according to them
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics