Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Road trip with baby

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 10:43 pm
Hi!
Is it safe to do a road trip with a month and a half- almost 2 month old baby? I read online that it’s not safe for babies to sit in a car seat for a long time.
Anyone have any information on this?

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 10:50 pm
Yup I drove from NY to FL when my baby was 8.5 weeks old. He was also three days post bris (had a very delayed bris) it was cleared by both mohel and pediatrician. It worked out amazing!

amother
Green

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 10:50 pm
It’s not really safe - call your pediatrician. Aside from that, it won’t be too enjoyable for you....there’s a lot of worrying with a 2 mo th old, especially away from your pediatrician. Sleep schedules, up all night in hotel rooms, schlepping along all the “stuff” that a baby needs- feeding schedules etc. especially if this is your first. I shudder to think about the road trip we did with my first as a small baby.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 10:58 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
It’s not really safe - call your pediatrician. Aside from that, it won’t be too enjoyable for you....there’s a lot of worrying with a 2 mo th old, especially away from your pediatrician. Sleep schedules, up all night in hotel rooms, schlepping along all the “stuff” that a baby needs- feeding schedules etc. especially if this is your first. I shudder to think about the road trip we did with my first as a small baby.

We actually already went from NJ to Florida and back when he was only 2 weeks... I never heard about it not being safe before that and it wasn’t too bad. BH my baby sleeps very well and doesn’t cry unless he needs something... but now that I know I want to find out if safe or not before we do it again.. I guess I will ask pediatrician and see what she says.

Thank you!

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 11:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We actually already went from NJ to Florida and back when he was only 2 weeks... I never heard about it not being safe before that and it wasn’t too bad. BH my baby sleeps very well and doesn’t cry unless he needs something... but now that I know I want to find out if safe or not before we do it again.. I guess I will ask pediatrician and see what she says.

Thank you!

You drove from NJ to Florida or you flew?
I'd do it if my baby was a good baby and I'd make sure to make frequent stops to take the baby out of the car seat and have the baby move around and stretch. The question is if the baby will be content sitting in the car for hours at a time.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 11:52 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
You drove from NJ to Florida or you flew?
I'd do it if my baby was a good baby and I'd make sure to make frequent stops to take the baby out of the car seat and have the baby move around and stretch. The question is if the baby will be content sitting in the car for hours at a time.

we drove, and stopped so baby can stretch.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 12:21 am
Can an adult sit in the back with the baby to supervise? If you do it, definitely plan on frequent stops to let the baby stretch, eat, etc

ETA: I saw you said you’re asking your pediatrician—that’s definitely the right source to ask for safer questions.

Last edited by challahchallah on Wed, Aug 12 2020, 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 12:22 am
I remember my mother holding the baby in the car. I’m expecting my first and love road trips so that’s what I would do. Sit in the back for part of the trip and holding the baby so he/she isn’t in the car seat the whole time.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 12:23 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
I remember my mother holding the baby in the car. I’m expecting my first and love road trips so that’s what I would do. Sit in the back for part of the trip and holding the baby so he/she isn’t in the car seat the whole time.

This is definitely unsafe. The baby needs to be securely strapped into the carseat the entire time you are driving. It is also illegal in the U.S. and many other places.

lucky14

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 1:10 am

What country do you live in? Are there parts of the world where this is really thought to be OK? Babies need to be in car seats. If there was a car accident the baby could easily go flying into something.

To the OP: not sure about health risks but as far as being able to tolerate longer car trips I think that would be a great age.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 1:17 am

This is totally safe... Unless there's a short stop or an accident. In that case, the baby would most likely go flying through the windshield or slam into the inside of the car so hard it would die. Just being real.

essie14

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 1:20 am

Please please please do not do this. Its extremely unsafe. You should sit in the back seat with the baby and when you see he needs to get out, your husband can stop the car.

Besides that in the US and Israel this is illegal.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics