Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Highrisk to covid and working

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 10:51 pm
I work in a large school elementary school as an assistant teacher. Problem is I am high risk if I get the corona virus. Should I go back to work in September wearing protective gear and having a pexiglass on my desk, or wait it out a couple month to see if students/and or staff are getting sick? My biggest concern is that I really need the money from the job to pay tuition for my kids. My whole tuition is paid from that salary.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 11:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I work in a large school elementary school as an assistant teacher. Problem is I am high risk if I get the corona virus. Should I go back to work in September wearing protective gear and having a pexiglass on my desk, or wait it out a couple month to see if students/and or staff are getting sick? My biggest concern is that I really need the money from the job to pay tuition for my kids. My whole tuition is paid from that salary.

Did you look into if you can get unemployment if you are high risk and can't work?

mra01385

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 11:31 pm
I tried to look online. Do you know if you have to be earning a certain amount while you were working to qualify? Some of my salary was tax exempt because was used to pay for school tuition.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 12:03 am
DH is high risk. But he's also an essential worker (he's a nurse). He's been working the entire time. He's just very good about washing his hands, wearing his masks, sanitizing as needed, and maintaining social distancing as able (though as a nurse that's tricky). If you've got to work you've got to work, there are limited options.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 12:32 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
DH is high risk. But he's also an essential worker (he's a nurse). He's been working the entire time. He's just very good about washing his hands, wearing his masks, sanitizing as needed, and maintaining social distancing as able (though as a nurse that's tricky). If you've got to work you've got to work, there are limited options.

I am high risk due to being on oxygen 24/7 due to heart and lung conditions. This is why I'm more nervous to go back to work.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 1:24 am
Sounds safer to wait. What does your doctor say?

mra01385

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 8:02 am
My cardiologist says I should really stay home to limit my exposure as much as possible, but understand if I need to work. My primary care doctor says it’s fine for me to work If I protect myself well from germs.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 9:25 am
Maybe ask the school if you can teach on Zoom instead, or help in any other remote way. If they say no, look at unemployment or another remote job, because it's not very safe for you to be out working.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 9:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am high risk due to being on oxygen 24/7 due to heart and lung conditions. This is why I'm more nervous to go back to work.

Oh sweetie, NO! Even a common cold or flu sounds dangerous!

Please look into remote teaching, or teaching English online.

I understand the situation you are in, but you can't earn anything if you get CVS extremely ill (or worse. Sad )

mra01385

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 9:57 am
My school is not doing zoom anymore. I’m trying to find a work from home job but not so easy. I’m looking into unemployment though.
Now even if I stay home to limit exposure I’m still currently sending my kids to Daycamp and I am planning on sending them to school which is a Very large school. I also do go out to stores while wearing a mask, but don’t stay so long and go when it’s not crowded.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 10:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

wow tht is a super high risk situation!
Do you live in an area that still has covid cases or in an area where it's quieted?

mra01385

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 10:29 am
Bh where I live the cases have been very minimal in the past 2 months. Bh the Shuls, schools, stores are open with guidelines and many places need to wear masks. We are not on the quarantine list. Bh no one in the local day camps have gotten the virus recently.

mra01385

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 8:04 pm
Thanks everyone for your input, but just to give an update I decided to stay home for the time being and collect unemployment. My principal will give me back my job when I’m ready to come back which will hopefully be sooner than later. Bh my children’s school is very understanding of my situation and is willing to take what ever I can afford for tuition until I go back to work.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics