Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
UPDATED: Maytal Tamar vs Orly Malka
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 6:16 pm
OP Update 😍BH we had a beautiful baby girl and named her Maytal Hadas and get a million compliments Smile thank you all!
—-
Which do you like better? Posted a while ago and now we have two ideas and due next month beH with our first. We were getting really excited about the name Maytal and I loved it. But then DH came to me this week with Orly as an idea. We’re in America and RW Modern orthodox.

1) Maytal, named for Matilda- English name of a recently niftar grandmother. Maytal also meaning “from dew”. Beauty and growth coming after dark rainstorm of infertility.

Tamar for a Tishrei baby- like a palm tree(?) and I thought it sounded nice together? Though I do find the story of Tamar kind of... difficult. Open to other ideas for a second name.

or:

Orly Malka/Orly Tova

Orly for the pasuk in Micha “Hashem Or Lee” that really spoke to us- particularly the Malbim on it DH just found and learned with me and we were both tearing up. Being in the depths of tzaaros but Hashem lifting us up as our light.

Malka was the grandmother’s Hebrew name. Tova, a great-aunt. I like how Tova sounds with Orly better, but the grandmother was niftar a few months ago, so more recent.

I wouldn’t want to do Orly Maytal because then I feel like I’m “wasting” Maytal, a name I love and would want to use if iyh we had more girls. And I do significantly like the sound of Maytal better than Orly. Ahh! Help please.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 6:19 pm
I personally think Maytal Tamar is very difficult to say, just that combination of sounds. Orly Malka goes together more nicely.

This only matters if you will really call the child by both names.

Why not Maytal Orly?

lavender_dew

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 6:21 pm
I think Orly Malka flows better. I also happen to love the name Orly personally. So beautiful

amother
Black

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 6:24 pm
maytal is very nice maytal malka I dont care for orly hard to prononuce

chocolatecake

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 6:26 pm
I like Maytal tamar better.

paperflowers

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 6:29 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
I personally think Maytal Tamar is very difficult to say, just that combination of sounds. Orly Malka goes together more nicely.

This only matters if you will really call the child by both names.

Why not Maytal Orly?

Agree

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 6:34 pm
OP here- we would definitely only use Maytal or Orly, not use the second names. Totally not married to the Tamar part and happy to hear ideas. Maytal vs Orly is really my main debate here.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 6:46 pm
I would definitely go with the Maytal if you love it. It is a beautiful different, but not bazaar name. I know a few (but not many) and they are all lovely. I was also going to ask if you can do Maytal Orly or Maytal Tova.
I love Maytal but think the Tamar is a little harsh with it. I think it is because of the T and M in both and the 2 syllables.
Maytal Malka is a little much with the Ms.
While thinking, I'm going through my DDs' (MO-Teaneck) class lists in my head, I also thought
Maytal Elianna
Maytal Shira
Maytal Tikva

Sounded nice. I didn't not think the Shoshana, Kayla, or Leora

Wishing you hatzlacha.
Be'sha'ah Tova

avrahamama

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 6:46 pm
Once you meet the baby you will know for sure. They're both very pretty and meaningful.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 6:53 pm
Maytal chaya
Or chaya maytal.
Love the combo and the meaning of the combo.
Also love the name tova.

Ftr, my first name is mattl (mem tes lamed)

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 6:57 pm
I have only met Maytals in Israel. It’s not common at all in American circles imo. Something to think about.

agreer

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 7:06 pm
I love alliteration so maytal malka sounds awesome to me. Just as long as ur last name doesn't start with an M.

I think it's nice to name after a close relative, especially a grandmother.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 7:29 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
I have only met Maytals in Israel. It’s not common at all in American circles imo. Something to think about.

I know 5 Maytals in NY/NJ.
It is definitely not a weird name in my Teaneck/Riverdale MO communities.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 7:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Which do you like better? Posted a while ago and now we have two ideas and due next month beH with our first. We were getting really excited about the name Maytal and I loved it. But then DH came to me this week with Orly as an idea. We’re in America and RW Modern orthodox.

1) Maytal, named for Matilda- English name of a recently niftar grandmother. Maytal also meaning “from dew”. Beauty and growth coming after dark rainstorm of infertility.

Tamar for a Tishrei baby- like a palm tree(?) and I thought it sounded nice together? Though I do find the story of Tamar kind of... difficult. Open to other ideas for a second name.

or:

Orly Malka/Orly Tova

Orly for the pasuk in Micha “Hashem Or Lee” that really spoke to us- particularly the Malbim on it DH just found and learned with me and we were both tearing up. Being in the depths of tzaaros but Hashem lifting us up as our light.

Malka was the grandmother’s Hebrew name. Tova, a great-aunt. I like how Tova sounds with Orly better, but the grandmother was niftar a few months ago, so more recent.

I wouldn’t want to do Orly Maytal because then I feel like I’m “wasting” Maytal, a name I love and would want to use if iyh we had more girls. And I do significantly like the sound of Maytal better than Orly. Ahh! Help please.

Maytal Tamar is much prettier and less common so another plus

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 9:09 pm
Bshah tovah, I love the name maytal. Maytal tamar sounds cute. Or how about maytal bracha?

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 9:18 pm
OP you sound like you love Maytal better. I personally also like it better, but of course that’s irrelevant. ;-)

Bshaa Tova!

daagahminayin

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 9:20 pm
This is just my opinion so feel free to disregard.

I think Maytal sounds much prettier and more distinct as a second name of a pair because the emphasis is on the last syllable. Tova Maytal goes really nicely. You can give that name and still call her Maytal if you are not makpid on calling her by both names all the time. Also, I much prefer the spelling Meital to Maytal. It encourages the second syllable pronunciation more. So Tova Meital is my vote. Which you can freely disregard, of course!

Wishing you a b’sha’ah tova and a healthy, happy baby, whatever her name is!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 9:54 pm
I'd personally spell it 'Meital' if you're going to use it, I've never seen 'Maytal' and it looks rather Americanized

etky

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 11:55 pm
I love Meital Tamar and I think that both names are super appropriate for Tishrei.
Water features prominently as a theme at this time of year: Tashlich, simchat Beit Hashoeva, nisuch hamayim,Tfilat geshem.
It is a transitional time of year in regard to water and the name Meital reflects that beautifully.
Tamar obviously connects to succot and is also one of the simanim that we use for the seder Rosh Hashana. As a bibilical name it is timeless and full of significance in the context of malchut Beit David.
Orly is a pretty name but I can't help perceiving it through an Israeli lense and it is very dated here and super common in a certain generation of women (forty-ish).
Regarding spelling of Meital - I prefer this one but only because when I see Maytal my mind sometimes jumps to Maytag.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 1:14 am
I agree with Etky. Orly is dated; Meital is stunning and modern.

For the second name, associated with Tishrei, I would suggest Chein (from Channa, from the Haftara on first day Rosh Hashana), Refa'ella (what we will all be davening for this year, Hashem healing us), Tehilla (all the many praises of Hashem we say during Tishrei), Bracha (V'Zot HaBracha on Simchat Torah), or Yona (Haftara on Yom Kippur, and a dove is a sign of peace).

So:
-- Meital Chein
-- Meital Refa'ella
-- Meital Tehilla
-- Meital Bracha
-- Meital Yona

Of those, 1, 2, and 4 work best for the meaning going together (grace from the dew; healing from the dew; blessing from the dew). But the meanings from 3 and 5 also work. I like the sound of Meital Refa'ella best.

B'sha'a tova!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names