Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
UPDATED: Maytal Tamar vs Orly Malka
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Green

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 4:19 am
I like Orly more.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 4:42 am
I think Maytal is beautiful, and I love your reason for choosing it. The meaning works so nicely along with the Namesake. It's a totally normal choice in an MO environment (also not hard for the general population to say).

I'd like to suggest Arava as a middle name for Tishrei. I happen to love the name, I know it's very Israeli.... Fits for Tishrei because of sukkos but also for Teshuva for the passuk from Shabbos Nachamu Haftorah
קול קורה במדבר פנו דרך לה' ישרו בערבה מסילה לא-לוקינו.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 4:48 am
If you're looking for something geshem related, I know a Matar and think it's a nice name (or maybe she's just a nice person and it influenced, who knows!)

yonabets

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 2:51 pm
Maytal is very very beautiful ! it's cool and original! I love this name!

flmommy

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 4:07 pm
Orly Malka

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 6:44 pm
My daughter is Maytal Batya. Maytal is not an uncommon name at all where I live in Bergen County.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 8:50 pm
etky wrote:
I love Meital Tamar and I think that both names are super appropriate for Tishrei.
Water features prominently as a theme at this time of year: Tashlich, simchat Beit Hashoeva, nisuch hamayim,Tfilat geshem.
It is a transitional time of year in regard to water and the name Meital reflects that beautifully.
Tamar obviously connects to succot and is also one of the simanim that we use for the seder Rosh Hashana. As a bibilical name it is timeless and full of significance in the context of malchut Beit David.
Orly is a pretty name but I can't help perceiving it through an Israeli lense and it is very dated here and super common in a certain generation of women (forty-ish).
Regarding spelling of Meital - I prefer this one but only because when I see Maytal my mind sometimes jumps to Maytag.

OP here- wow, I didn’t even think of all that with water. Beautiful- Thank you.

I also prefer Meital spelling a bit but I think it’s very possible that people outside the frum world would pronounce it as metal, which would be unfortunate, though not the biggest deal. I’ve met one of each spelling so it doesn’t bother me much.

I’ve never heard that Orly is dated in Israel! Do others here have that impression as well?

etky

Post Fri, Aug 14 2020, 1:51 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
I think Maytal is beautiful, and I love your reason for choosing it. The meaning works so nicely along with the Namesake. It's a totally normal choice in an MO environment (also not hard for the general population to say).

I'd like to suggest Arava as a middle name for Tishrei. I happen to love the name, I know it's very Israeli.... Fits for Tishrei because of sukkos but also for Teshuva for the passuk from Shabbos Nachamu Haftorah
קול קורה במדבר פנו דרך לה' ישרו בערבה מסילה לא-לוקינו.

Hadar and Hadas would also work nicely for Sukkot.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Aug 14 2020, 4:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I’ve never heard that Orly is dated in Israel! Do others here have that impression as well?

Orli is a bit dated in Israel. I don't hear any babies being named that. Still, Israelis expect Americans to have names that are a bit off the grid.

Meital is also not a name that is really being given anymore. It was very popular twenty years ago, while Orli was very popular forty years ago.

Never fear, that just means they will both make a comeback sometime in the next few years.

A little girl named Orli or Meital would fit in just fine in any Israeli gan. Much better than having one of the more common names today, with four girls in the same class having the same name.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Aug 14 2020, 4:33 am
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
A little girl named Orli or Meital would fit in just fine in any Israeli gan. Much better than having one of the more common names today, with four girls in the same class having the same name.

This. Where I live (and I'm pretty sure it's nationwide) there's been a huge wave of Ayalas and Ayelets. Nice names, but when half the girls in the gan are called the same thing it starts to get old.

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Aug 14 2020, 5:33 am
In Hebrew both names are very beautiful. In English I prefer Maytal, so I'd name Maytal if I were living in the US.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 14 2020, 9:56 am
etky wrote:
Hadar and Hadas would also work nicely for Sukkot.

Yes we actually considered Hadas! Possibility as well. Maybe this is ridiculous but I thought it would come out pronounced as Hades, like in Greek mythology, lol. I’m BT (though DH is FFB) so I’m a little irrational about this. Really not important if we’re not going by both names, so def a possibility

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 11 2022, 1:28 pm
Follow-up! We ended naming her Maytal Hadas and get compliments everywhere that it’s a gorgeous name. BH a wonderful happy little girl.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Feb 11 2022, 4:49 pm
I like Maytal Tamar better. But I like single names, so Maytal alone or Tamar alone.

etky

Post Sat, Feb 12 2022, 1:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Follow-up! We ended naming her Maytal Hadas and get compliments everywhere that it’s a gorgeous name. BH a wonderful happy little girl.

That is so beautiful. Hadas is a gorgeous name too. Very feminine and gentle. Goes very nicely with Maytal. Mazal tov OP!

imaima

Post Sat, Feb 12 2022, 2:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Which do you like better? Posted a while ago and now we have two ideas and due next month beH with our first. We were getting really excited about the name Maytal and I loved it. But then DH came to me this week with Orly as an idea. We’re in America and RW Modern orthodox.

1) Maytal, named for Matilda- English name of a recently niftar grandmother. Maytal also meaning “from dew”. Beauty and growth coming after dark rainstorm of infertility.

Tamar for a Tishrei baby- like a palm tree(?) and I thought it sounded nice together? Though I do find the story of Tamar kind of... difficult. Open to other ideas for a second name.

or:

Orly Malka/Orly Tova

Orly for the pasuk in Micha “Hashem Or Lee” that really spoke to us- particularly the Malbim on it DH just found and learned with me and we were both tearing up. Being in the depths of tzaaros but Hashem lifting us up as our light.

Malka was the grandmother’s Hebrew name. Tova, a great-aunt. I like how Tova sounds with Orly better, but the grandmother was niftar a few months ago, so more recent.

I wouldn’t want to do Orly Maytal because then I feel like I’m “wasting” Maytal, a name I love and would want to use if iyh we had more girls. And I do significantly like the sound of Maytal better than Orly. Ahh! Help please.

Malka Tova, and save Maytal for later?

Or Maytal Tova/ Tova Maytal, and call her Maytal.

amother
Crystal

Post Sat, Feb 12 2022, 7:32 pm
That’s a pretty combination! We have a Maytal, too!

ra_mom

Post Sat, Feb 12 2022, 7:39 pm
Maytal Tamar

Chavas

Post Sat, Feb 12 2022, 7:55 pm
I'm not a fan if either.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 2:24 pm
Thank you!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names