Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Devacurl, curl suite or Ouidad for great curly haircut

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 1:08 am
I would like to treat my teenage daughter to A great haircut in a salon that specializes in curly hair. Above are 3 salons that people suggested. Wondering if anybody can tell me about their personal experiences or if you have any other good ideas.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 7:26 am
Don't use Deva Curl products. It makes the hair fall out. They have lawsuits against them.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 7:40 am
I suggest the curly girl method.

Maybe look for a private salon/hair stylist - not from a big cooperation like these that push their own products at you. A good curly hair stylist should have a good instagram showing tons of pictures.

I really suggest someone who does the curly girl method. Deva Curl helped create the Curly Girl method but I go with SaddleBrown - don't go to them directly right now as their products recently were made faulty and they have many lawsuits against them.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 8:10 am
Awesome Mom! I too have curly kids. FOUR daughters with curls. I started at the website Naturally Curly which outlines it all for you: which salon for which hair, what type of curl, how to care for your hair, which hairdressers work for curls in your area, etc. I bought the "Curly Girl Handbook" by Lorainne Massey too.

My thick- haired, more "ethnic haired" relatives went to Ouidad: their method of "carving" was too intense for my fine haired oldest daughter, so we went to Devachan for her bat mitzvah and continued there with her sisters. Pros: Pro-curl atmosphere, super amazing haircuts and great education for how to care for their hair, plus hair cut needed only every 6 months if you learn how to wash and care for your hair well. Downside: travel to salon, snooty atmosphere, plus HUGELY expensive.

Our stylist left Devachan to open her own salon, but Devachan told us she was at an Ashram in India and set us up with a different stylist. We found her again a year later (yay internet!) and she is magical and an artiste but even MORE expensive than Devachan and I couldn't really justify the crazy prices even it was just every 6 months.

With the the Naturally Curly website and message forum, I found a stylist who cuts curly hair in my area that got great reviews, cost about 25% per haircut of the artiste. I have since learned she is an exclusively curly cut salon and the well kept secret of the frum curly girls in my area. Not so patient with the education, but now we have older sisters in the mix to help out with caring for their hair.

Now my girls are complimented for their hair, which makes them feel great and motivates them to keep it up. Its a challenge to love your curly hair in a traditional bais Yaakov community, as for some reason there remains a "wild unruly vibe" to this type of hair, but not for me. Bernadette Peters, Andie McDowell all the way!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 9:23 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Awesome Mom! I too have curly kids. FOUR daughters with curls. I started at the website Naturally Curly which outlines it all for you: which salon for which hair, what type of curl, how to care for your hair, which hairdressers work for curls in your area, etc. I bought the "Curly Girl Handbook" by Lorainne Massey too.

My thick- haired, more "ethnic haired" relatives went to Ouidad: their method of "carving" was too intense for my fine haired oldest daughter, so we went to Devachan for her bat mitzvah and continued there with her sisters. Pros: Pro-curl atmosphere, super amazing haircuts and great education for how to care for their hair, plus hair cut needed only every 6 months if you learn how to wash and care for your hair well. Downside: travel to salon, snooty atmosphere, plus HUGELY expensive.

Our stylist left Devachan to open her own salon, but Devachan told us she was at an Ashram in India and set us up with a different stylist. We found her again a year later (yay internet!) and she is magical and an artiste but even MORE expensive than Devachan and I couldn't really justify the crazy prices even it was just every 6 months.

With the the Naturally Curly website and message forum, I found a stylist who cuts curly hair in my area that got great reviews, cost about 25% per haircut of the artiste. I have since learned she is an exclusively curly cut salon and the well kept secret of the frum curly girls in my area. Not so patient with the education, but now we have older sisters in the mix to help out with caring for their hair.

Now my girls are complimented for their hair, which makes them feel great and motivates them to keep it up. Its a challenge to love your curly hair in a traditional bais Yaakov community, as for some reason there remains a "wild unruly vibe" to this type of hair, but not for me. Bernadette Peters, Andie McDowell all the way!

Is your stylist in New York? Can you share her info?

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 3:55 pm
You can go to Naturally Curly and find a Curly stylist in your area.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 4:21 pm
OP, we live in Monsey.
Rapunzel Hair Studio. Route 59 Tallman
About $50 plus tip per cut.
PS Curly hair is cut dry, then washed, dried and touched up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries