Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Has anyone moved BACK to NY after living OOT?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 9:46 pm
We moved OOT a few years ago and bought a house.

Except... it's not working out so well. My kids aren't happy in school. The expenses are crushing us (cars, home maintenance, lots of other things we didn't have to pay for in NY). I could double my salary by moving back to NY, but the problem is that even with double the salary we could only afford a tiny apartment. We have almost 3000 sq feet here. Could I ever get used to living that way again???

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 10:04 pm
I'd think it challenging to move back to a tiny apartment after living in a spacious house. Would depend upon a lot of other factors to make it quality of life worth it.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 10:19 pm
Yes, my family did that. BUT we were able to afford a nice sized house because the house we bought OOT had gone up in value so we walked away from it with a nice amount of money. The house we live in now is definitely smaller then the house we had OOT, but everyone still has plenty of room to spread out as needed. Overall it was definitely the right move for our family, but there are pros and cons everywhere so occasionally I look back and miss some aspects of OOT.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 10:24 pm
A house is not everything. If the kids are not happy and it's not working out, something needs to change. Maybe don't move to Brooklyn, but to a community where the housing is cheaper, like Monsey or Lakewood.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 10:25 pm
We were renting an apt in NY and then NJ, so not the same as a house, but yeah we moved back to NY. Our place in NJ was obviously way nicer, spacious, greenery, lots of parks etc. But also just to get to a park I had to buckle kids in car and drive.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 10:39 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
A house is not everything. If the kids are not happy and it's not working out, something needs to change. Maybe don't move to Brooklyn, but to a community where the housing is cheaper, like Monsey or Lakewood.

Monsey or Lakewood would have all the downsides we have now with none of the upside.

chocolatecake

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 11:16 pm
I left a 2 bdrm apt in Brooklyn 2 years ago. I am in a house now and can’t even begin to imagine going back the the apartment life. I have a backyard a driveway etc.

If u must go back to Brooklyn can you maybe rent a small single family house?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating