Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Supplements to help my child with memory/learning
Previous  1  2  3  Next

flmommy

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 8:45 pm
We used th e program Over the summer and part during the school year 6 months total I think. It helped a lot. I don’t think we daughter will ever have an amazing memory I know I don’t but BH it is better. My daughter is also spacey. We did a complete neuropsych which is how we heard about the Activate program. My daughter had ADD inattentive not hyperactive type. Not dyslexia though I thought for a bit she did. Her teacher makes accommodations by shortening memorization tests to only the most important because whose knows it’s hard for her. Good luck.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 9:45 pm
So here's some more info, he does great on shorashim tests. He crams before and remembers for the test, but then forgets it and when it comes to learning it in context he often doesn't remember. I have a suspicion that in a testing setting he will be extra focused and do better on any memory thing compared to real life (homework!) situations. In regards to not being able to convert to long term memory, how do they test this in an evaluation, do they continue it on another day?

Can dyslexia be diagnosed by and SLP or is that a different evaluation? Also would it be possible to be dyslexic and still be a bookworm? I googled briefly and saw someone with dyslexia often has trouble spelling, is that at random or on a spelling test? He is a terrible spontaneous speller, but does well on spelling tests.

I have a terrible memory too so it's not so crazy to see he struggles but I want to give him the support. and I appreciate each suggestion to look at this from different angles.

watergirl

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 9:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So here's some more info, he does great on shorashim tests. He crams before and remembers for the test, but then forgets it and when it comes to learning it in context he often doesn't remember. I have a suspicion that in a testing setting he will be extra focused and do better on any memory thing compared to real life (homework!) situations. In regards to not being able to convert to long term memory, how do they test this in an evaluation, do they continue it on another day?

Can dyslexia be diagnosed by and SLP or is that a different evaluation? Also would it be possible to be dyslexic and still be a bookworm? I googled briefly and saw someone with dyslexia often has trouble spelling, is that at random or on a spelling test? He is a terrible spontaneous speller, but does well on spelling tests.

I have a terrible memory too so it's not so crazy to see he struggles but I want to give him the support. and I appreciate each suggestion to look at this from different angles.

Yes. I am a complete bookworm and have dyslexia. You need to have him tested. No, not by an SLP. Tell your school you want to assemble a TEAM for testing. The clock starts ticking and they have a certain number of days to set it all up for you.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 10:21 pm
I dont know which state you are in, but you should be able to request full testing. In order to do a good differential diagnosis, you want him tested in all areas so that you can identify a pattern of errors. Each member of the team will do testing in their area of expertise and compile reports of their results. Within 90 days they will have a meeting with you to discuss their findings. As I said earlier, there is an underlying reason why he is having word retrieval issues. The goal is to figure out why, and have the right professional provide treatment.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 12:42 am
I already spoke to the school about it a while back and they wouldn't do an eval since he's not struggling in English. He is in enrichment for math and english. Can I demand an evaluation? if they don't see the issue? Who does this, the public school system? (State of Maryland) And how are they doing this with remote learning for public schools? Crying If I were to go private, what evaluation would I be looking for? Thanks!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 1:50 am
is dyslexia more than just asking him if the letters move around on the page? (excuse my ignorance)
if the school system won't do it, where would I start for a dyslexia evaluation? thanks

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 2:45 am
one more question which I think may be a bigger issue, if it's showing up in hebrew how will a secular person testing it be able to evaluate properly? has anyone else had experience with this??

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 9:47 am
Magnesium. B vitamins. Phophatidylcholine and phophatidylserine. Choline. Also, detoxing heavy metals, addressing brain inflammation, removing food intolerances and sensitivities, and working on gut health. These all can cause brain fog. Thyroid and adrenal will affect cognitive function as well. And mitochondrial support. Like creatine, carnitine, b1. DHA and EPA.

watergirl

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 9:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
is dyslexia more than just asking him if the letters move around on the page? (excuse my ignorance)
if the school system won't do it, where would I start for a dyslexia evaluation? thanks

Do you live in the States? The school system HAS to do it. It is literally the law. And there is a time limit from when you make the initial first point of contact to the testing date.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 9:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I already spoke to the school about it a while back and they wouldn't do an eval since he's not struggling in English. He is in enrichment for math and english. Can I demand an evaluation? if they don't see the issue? Who does this, the public school system? (State of Maryland) And how are they doing this with remote learning for public schools? Crying If I were to go private, what evaluation would I be looking for? Thanks!

Please pm me. I just noticed something in this post that I need to comment on but not in “public”.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 10:37 am
watergirl wrote:
Do you live in the States? The school system HAS to do it. It is literally the law. And there is a time limit from when you make the initial first point of contact to the testing date.

Thanks, I saw a few places that the state has to evaluate, BUT they can not diagnose for dyslexia. they will just diagnose specific learning deficits they see. Can anyone weigh in on that?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 10:38 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
Please pm me. I just noticed something in this post that I need to comment on but not in “public”.

I can't PM you since you posted without your screen name. Can you post your screen name so I can PM you?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 11:05 am
If he is very good at kriah without the translating does that lend it to more likely be a retrieval or memory issue compared to a dyslexia issue?

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 11:07 am
I totally agree with watergirl here!

Maybe the intense school day boys have is just too much for him, too, especially if it's just a problem in Hebrew.

Please keep looking at the medical angle, not at random supplements. I either excelled in or failed in classes. I was diagnosed with ADHD as an adult, and treatment made a huge difference in my life. I had to learn my limits when it came to overwhelming myself with school. I failed out of college as a teen, and when I went back I sailed through thanks to methylphenidate, help with organization, and taking the minimum number of classes each semester to be considered full time.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 11:43 am
if u are in NY State, board of Ed of NY has a frum senior evaluator - you need to take kid to BOE with an appointment to her. spacy needs intervention - love and supplment will not solve

the longer you wait the bigger the problem will be.

Heb difficuties and ok in english is typical for some learning disabled kids I know. they memorize lots of the English stuff. Pls Pls start intervention!

Years of intervention would bring a child iyh to a productive path. sadly, Supplement and love wont solve.

No intervention - child will realize limitation, will be more of a behavior problem and depressed with lacking of abilities/ accomplishment

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 1:47 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
if u are in NY State, board of Ed of NY has a frum senior evaluator - you need to take kid to BOE with an appointment to her. spacy needs intervention - love and supplment will not solve

the longer you wait the bigger the problem will be.

Heb difficuties and ok in english is typical for some learning disabled kids I know. they memorize lots of the English stuff. Pls Pls start intervention!

Years of intervention would bring a child iyh to a productive path. sadly, Supplement and love wont solve.

No intervention - child will realize limitation, will be more of a behavior problem and depressed with lacking of abilities/ accomplishment

he's definitely not memorizing stuff to succeed in English- he has a terrible memory Wink but I am getting him evaluated outside of school. BH it should be successful in finding out his difficulties. if none are found and it's a focusing issue I can go back to the supplements Smile

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 11:45 am
Have you ever looked into cod liver oil
or ever read a book titled Finally Focused?

HeartyAppetite

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 11:48 am
https://www.koshervitamins.com.....mmies

And omega 3 does help with memory’s and absentmindedness

ChanieMommy

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 12:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
my 11 year old is somewhat spacy. He can learn but often forgets things the next day. It is so weird, the way he can totally understand it and remember one day and completely not recall it the next day. Are there any supplements that would help for this? (He takes fish oil already)

Aren't you a bit hard on him? Forgetting is a normal part of learning. That's why repetition is so important. When you learn a foreign language, it is normal to forget a new word 4-5 times before you finally remember it.

Unfortunately, there are no shortcuts.

But there are nice tools to help with repetition... like an index card system for single words or expressions... Or going exercises in math... or mind maps or posters or presentations for other subjects, where you have to memorise complex interdependences...

So a "vitamin" might help as a placebo, to restaure everybody's goodwill, but the real solution is repetition...

If his problems are mainly with hebrew understanding, you might want to check the teacher's methods. Maybe he makes not clear enough what means what... or your son is not at all interested in the contents...
also, as I said: it takes forgetting 3-4 times before you remember a word in a foreign language...

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 10:24 am
Evaluation! one one one therapist specialized

Schoenfeld in Brooklyn advertise, maybe she can direct you to someone good if she cant do it.

Dont count on a vitamin - it wont remedy

and the longer he spends with no help, the more frustration he will have + labeled by friends

Get him help asap
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics