Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Did anyone else fall for this :( - Instagram influencer
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 2:26 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
I find it sad that so many frum Instagram personalities are so fake, and will push anything to make a buck off women in their communities Sad if there’s anyone I think I can trust, it’s another frum Jewish woman...

At least one is not frum, but maybe people think she is as she used to be. But it’s pretty obvious from recent pictures that she’s not. (And I know she’s not because I know her.)

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 2:30 pm
There’s one influencer I follow who for the most part just posts clothing and makeup and the like. She keeps her page light and all about fashion. I have no idea what she is like in real life. But there’s nothing fake about her, because she’s not trying to pretend anything. She promotes fashion. And I enjoy following her for the fashion. I don’t have to scroll through posts where she pretends to be deep just so that she can show off another posed fake looking photo of herself. She doesn’t even post actual photos that often. It’s mostly stories about her clothing and jewelry and what you see is what you get. No complaints there.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 2:39 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
At least one is not frum, but maybe people think she is as she used to be. But it’s pretty obvious from recent pictures that she’s not. (And I know she’s not because I know her.)

I know she is not frum anymore. But she is Jewish and went to BY and was frum for years, so I assumed she is decent enough not to majorly rip ppl off for a product she got so cheaply

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 2:39 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
There’s one influencer I follow who for the most part just posts clothing and makeup and the like. She keeps her page light and all about fashion. I have no idea what she is like in real life. But there’s nothing fake about her, because she’s not trying to pretend anything. She promotes fashion. And I enjoy following her for the fashion. I don’t have to scroll through posts where she pretends to be deep just so that she can show off another posed fake looking photo of herself. She doesn’t even post actual photos that often. It’s mostly stories about her clothing and jewelry and what you see is what you get. No complaints there.

There are many sweet real ones but so many with thousands of followers are just stuck up , arrogant and fake.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 2:40 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:

And I believe I know who you are referring to and I completely agree. And even though she is insta - friends with ppl she works with and brands she promotes it’s not in a sickly sweet cliquey way

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 2:56 pm
I know she is not frum anymore. But she is Jewish and went to BY and was frum for years, so I assumed she is decent enough not to majorly rip ppl off for a product she got so cheaply

I don’t like judging ppl if they are more or less frum. But she should please keep her low self esteem off Instagram and her comments to her smushy friends in private via text or WhatsApp. It doesn’t make her popular. Just really needy and nauseating personally.

Ok edited and then I’m completely done and uninterested .... The words were stuck and I couldn’t figure out how to properly describe her behavior. She kind of built a cult with all of us and even more so to her “new found friends aka her insta messaging buddies “ I subscribed to her emails but they are all so sicky sweet- they are immediately discarded in the not so sweet trash.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 3:07 pm
Regarding Ali jewelry and clothes.... How do you know that it's the same product? I honestly don't trust Ali quality, but when I purchase similar stuff locally, I trust and hope that the quality is better- I assume that the local retailers are selling the original product, while Ali carries the imitations.

I don't know this influencer. The mod deleted the post that revealed who she is. But just because her jewelry looks like Ali, doesn't mean it's the exact same product.

I do find that many people seem to skip the fine print and read only what they want to "hear".
The first influencer mentioned here apparently made it clear that only part of the proceeds were going to charity. Why would someone assume that the entire $140 was for charity?

The second influencer apparently used the word "curate" and some followers assumed she said that she "designed" them.
These must be the same people who run to store closing sales that advertise "Up to 80% off" but only see the 80% part. (IME, that usually means 20% off. No big metziah. I remember going to such a sale, after someone told me that everything was 80% off, seeing that practically everything was only 20% off, and left without buying anything. I preferred to purchase the same stuff at a nearby store at full price, but priced lower, making the prices effectively the same, but returnable, unlike the closing sale where everything was final sale.)

Ladies, please shop wisely!

Last edited by Amelia Bedelia on Mon, Aug 17 2020, 3:19 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 3:13 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Regarding Ali jewelry and clothes.... How do you know that it's the same product? I honestly don't trust Ali quality, but when I purchase similar stuff locally, I trust and hope that the quality is better- I assume that the local retailers are selling the original product, while Ali carries the imitations.

Not necessarily.. unless you see a brand name on the label.

asmileaday

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 3:27 pm
I must've missed the word curated, she certainty didn't give that impression when talking about it. Usually when you say you are launching a product, revealing a new edit, giving it unique names etc... makes you think it's unique to this brand.
I wouldn't be so sure it's better quality than what you get on Ali, another poster said she bought it at full price and was disappointed. But hey I'm not spending 80 bucks to check it out for myself. It's certainly not 30 times better quality.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 4:05 pm
SHe def spent a lot on photo shoots and marketing and styling. Unless she got ppl to do that for free.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 4:07 pm
And I believe I know who you are referring to and I completely agree. And even though she is insta - friends with ppl she works with and brands she promotes it’s not in a sickly sweet cliquey way

I doubt it.
I follow more than 1 person who would fit the bill lol

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 5:13 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
SHe def spent a lot on photo shoots and marketing and styling. Unless she got ppl to do that for free.

Yup so I guess that's what we were paying for...

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 5:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don’t like judging ppl if they are more or less frum. But she should please keep her low self esteem off Instagram and her comments to her smushy friends in private via text or WhatsApp. It doesn’t make her popular. Just really needy and nauseating personally.

Ok edited and then I’m completely done and uninterested .... The words were stuck and I couldn’t figure out how to properly describe her behavior. She kind of built a cult with all of us and even more so to her “new found friends aka her insta messaging buddies “ I subscribed to her emails but they are all so sicky sweet- they are immediately discarded in the not so sweet trash.

LOL LOL LOL

I unfollowed. But I forgot that I need to unsubscribe too

asmileaday

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 6:47 pm
Ok I went back to check her brand page, I didn't want to feel like I'm crazy.
Here's a direct qoute from one of her stories saved to her highlights:

Quote:
I'm literally creating and bringing you what I want at the time for myself and cannot find

Pray tell is there another definition for creating?

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 7:01 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:

I don't know this influencer. The mod deleted the post that revealed who she is. But just because her jewelry looks like Ali, doesn't mean it's the exact same product.

I do find that many people seem to skip the fine print and read only what they want to "hear".
The first influencer mentioned here apparently made it clear that only part of the proceeds were going to charity. Why would someone assume that the entire $140 was for charity?

The second influencer apparently used the word "curate" and some followers assumed she said that she "designed" them.
These must be the same people who run to store closing sales that advertise "Up to 80% off" but only see the 80% part. (IME, that usually means 20% off. No big metziah. I remember going to such a sale, after someone told me that everything was 80% off, seeing that practically everything was only 20% off, and left without buying anything. I preferred to purchase the same stuff at a nearby store at full price, but priced lower, making the prices effectively the same, but returnable, unlike the closing sale where everything was final sale.)

Ladies, please shop wisely!

I think the primary issue here is that a raffle was cancelled and money has not yet been returned. That's besides the fact that the money was venmoed directly to her DH's account, which should make the return process really easy (just venmo the same amount back!). Also beside the issue that this same influencer is said to have run a raffle months ago for which a winner was not yet selected/prize not distributed, and she is stated to be "procrastinating" that too. There are laws governing how to hold a raffle, and she is stated to not have abided by them. Also when a frum person says they're doing a fundraiser, frum people could reasonably expect it to be more than the baseline 10% maaser a frum person would anyway have to give (there might be additional local laws governing this).

I agree with you 100% that people need to be more discerning about where they're putting their money. I don't know whether this influencer is a fraudster or not at all, but every community has its share of fraudalent people, and the fact that someone is born into a frum family is not a guarantee that they're erlich in business.

Finally, I'm not 100% sure but I think that there may have been two different influencers that people are talking about here. One who is said to take money for raffles that don't happen and one selling products that can be bought cheaper on Ali. Those are two vastly different issues.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 7:20 pm
asmileaday wrote:
Ok I went back to check her brand page, I didn't want to feel like I'm crazy.
Here's a direct qoute from one of her stories saved to her highlights:

Quote:
I'm literally creating and bringing you what I want at the time for myself and cannot find

Pray tell is there another definition for creating?

Thanks for that! At least now I know I ain’t crazy...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 7:31 pm
What goes around comes around. First I thought it was only Hollywood and now it’s infront of us. Golly gosh 🤭

4thebooks

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 7:58 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Thanks for that! At least now I know I ain’t crazy...

Can someone pm me the names of these so called influencers??! I give lots of tzedaka for instagram campaigns as well as buy stuff to support these ppl. Please someone tell me the names of these 2 being discussed on her. I don’t want to fall in!

asmileaday

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 8:01 pm
4thebooks wrote:
Can someone pm me the names of these so called influencers??! I give lots of tzedaka for instagram campaigns as well as buy stuff to support these ppl. Please someone tell me the names of these 2 being discussed on her. I don’t want to fall in!

Feel free to pm.

asmileaday

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 8:04 pm
Since I've been talking about the jewelry Instagrammer I want to add that the jewelry she sends you isn't packaged like it came off of Ali.
She definitely put a lot of thought into describing the pieces on her website, how much they weigh etc... and packages it with her name and perfume and all the little pitchifkes to make you feel like you just joined a club and bought something designer.
So it's possible that people are willing to pay for that.
You're just not getting unique can't be bought anywhere else pieces.
Page 6 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics