Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Treatment for precocious puberty for a girl
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 9:07 am
My daughter has a precocious puberty diagnosis. She’s 8, and without treatment would get her period at 10 which is way too young for her especially.
Lupron? Every 3 months
Supprelin implant? Requires general anesthesia to put in and take out and replace (would prob need for 2 years, so that’s 3 surgeries with General anesthesia
Triptidor injections?
Fensolvi injections ?

I’m so nervous. Was leaning toward implant since endo said most of her kids do really well. But nervous about being put under multiple times. Anyone with experience with any of these drugs?

Thank you!

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 9:27 am
My dd is on lupron we wanted the shots but my insurance didn't let. The first time we put it in without putting her under not too bad but she's not as Squamish. We had to use a diff Dr next 2x he did it by putting her under. Now we are taking it out never had any issues so they will do it without putting her under. After you put it in they get very moody just be aware but it levels out through the year. I did hear with the shots you get the ups and downs more often. Any other questions feel free to ask.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 9:31 am
Just wondering why exactly do you want to prevent puberty? She's 8. If she gets her period at 10, what's the big deal? I got mine at 11. Why are you messing with your daughter's body? Nature will handle everything.

Tzippy323

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 9:46 am
First, if she is small for age, and gets her period at 10, there is a likelihood that she will not grow much more. Putting off puberty for some children is very important. I have a granddaughter who had it put in under local twice. She has done well with it. Some children associate injections with illness, and she is not sick. The implant is a wonderful solution. Hatzlocha!

amother
Green

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 9:54 am
Most of my girls (I hAve 4 bh) got there period at 10 and all grew after. Some closer to 11 but all before there 11th birthday. Doing something to push it off was never a discussion by my dr. My 14 yr old is my shortest at 5’1 but I think she will still grow based on her sisters. She got her period at 10

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 9:54 am
My daughter got her period at night 10 1/2 since her period she grew at least 4 inches. I’m not sure why you would wanna push it off and mess with her bidy

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 9:55 am
the height component is significant. My friend got her period at 9 and never reached five feet.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 9:58 am
My daughter had the implant three times, and it worked wonders. We had it done at a children's hospital in NY with a terrific surgeon. The staff was incredible. DD wasn't the least bit nervous. Fast-forward a few years. She's now 15, got her period at 13, and is a few inches shorter than she'd hoped--she wanted to be as tall as I am, 5' 6", but she's 3 inches shorter—and is healthy and happy and beautiful.

tree of life

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 10:02 am
My daughter was 10 and three months when she started she has, grown a bit not a lot but both of us are short so I expect she will be to I'm not sure if I would have wanted to prevent her having periods early but she's quite mature so that my make a difference if she wasn't

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 10:18 am
We did monthly Lupron shots for my daughter about 8 years ago. We weren't offered other options then and it was fine.

For everyone asking why bother, the issue isn't just height.

The earlier the child reaches puberty, the earlier her bones stop laying on calcium, which can result in osteoporosis throughout life. According to our endocrinologist, for our daughter this would have posed a real, lifelong, medical risk.

In terms of height, the endo looks at x-rays and can actually see the growth plates and monitor their rates of closure. Based on this they are pretty accurate at predicting height both without treatment, and with treatment.

In true precoccious puberty the plates close early; the Lupron or other medication allow the bones to build the strength and allow the child to reach her true height.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 10:21 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
My daughter got her period at night 10 1/2 since her period she grew at least 4 inches. I’m not sure why you would wanna push it off and mess with her bidy

I got my period at 10 and a half, did not grow after and am only 5'4. In addition to regretting my parents never forcing me to get braces, I am angry they did not do anything to stop my period and allow to grow taller. So there is definitely another side to this.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 10:24 am
Thanks everyone for your replies. Like the previous poster said, it’s not just about getting your period early, it can have lasting medical problems to get your period early both emotionally and medically. So for those who chose the implant- you don’t necessarily need the general anesthesia? You can do it with local?

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 10:25 am
Just wanted to support the OP.

Ask your pediatrician for advice.

I am dealing with this with my ds. We started monitoring his bone age since 10. At age 12 we started with meditation. Bh it helped and ds is 5 feet. Hopefully he will grow another few inches.

Boys have different options for treatments. Ds was bh able to take oral medicine to slow down the bone age

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 10:27 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
the height component is significant. My friend got her period at 9 and never reached five feet.

My dd got hers at 12 and never reached 5 feet either.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 10:34 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
I got my period at 10 and a half, did not grow after and am only 5'4. In addition to regretting my parents never forcing me to get braces, I am angry they did not do anything to stop my period and allow to grow taller. So there is definitely another side to this.

I understand how you feel. Some of my siblings are short. I'm barely 5 feet. I have brothers that are 5 3, 5 4.

My pediatrician wasn't aware that there is anything to do, or didnt share. I am in my 40s. My youngest siblings was told by his pediatrician to check his bone age at 14. It was to late to do anything.

I also know of a boy in my neighborhood that had treatments for his height. He is 18 now and not even 5 feet. Treatments dont always work.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 10:39 am
what's wrong with being 5"4? I'm 5 3"3/4. I am perfectly content with my height. Would not have appreciated if my mother had played around with my hormones just so that I could be taller. please research long term effects of these interventions. I took my dd to an endocrinologist. She was probably around 8 or 9 at the time and he said to leave her alone. she's now 10 and honestly I feel like I can breath a sigh of relief. I got mione when I was 11. early but fine.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 10:42 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
I understand how you feel. Some of my siblings are short. I'm barely 5 feet. I have brothers that are 5 3, 5 4.

My pediatrician wasn't aware that there is anything to do, or didnt share. I am in my 40s. My youngest siblings was told by his pediatrician to check his bone age at 14. It was to late to do anything.

I also know of a boy in my neighborhood that had treatments for his height. He is 18 now and not even 5 feet. Treatments dont always work.

I guess it's rude to complain about being 5'4 when many other people are much shorter. I know treatments don't always work since genetics also play a role. However, everyone in my family is tall except for me and one brother and we both developed early. Women in my family range from 5'7 to 5'10+, men 5'11 to 6'3 so the fact that I'm 5'4 and my brother is 5'7 makes me feel like parents were busier with other things than our height - just like they didn't get us braces - it wasn't financial they were BH well off just very busy with their own shalom bayis issues and anxieties. I can't really blame them, but it's something that bothers me deep down.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 10:54 am
I guess it's rude to complain about being 5'4 when many other people are much shorter. I know treatments don't always work since genetics also play a role. However, everyone in my family is tall except for me and one brother and we both developed early. Women in my family range from 5'7 to 5'10+, men 5'11 to 6'3 so the fact that I'm 5'4 and my brother is 5'7 makes me feel like parents were busier with other things than our height - just like they didn't get us braces - it wasn't financial they were BH well off just very busy with their own shalom bayis issues and anxieties. I can't really blame them, but it's something that bothers me deep down.

I wasnt judging, but now I understand.

I'm sorry.

I have 2 kids that needed braces. When my 3rd dc was told its really cosmetic only, we felt like we dont have a choice. Yes, it's an extra expense that would stretch our already tight budget. (I can truthfully say that we have 1 car in the suburbs due to orthodontist payments.)

But dh and I felt it was more important for ds to never feel that he isnt loved as much as his siblings. No one wants crooked teeth.

My brother in law recently got invisalign now as an adult. His parents decided that straight teeth isnt important. It bothered him for years. Maybe invisalign can be an option for you now.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 11:04 am

What's wrong with being 5'4"???? I got my period at 13 and am 5'3" and I'm thrilled with my height.

ETA: just read your next post where you explained

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 11:05 am
What is the cause? Also, have you looked into insulin resistance?
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics