Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Treatment for precocious puberty for a girl
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 6:53 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I think between 6-8 months.
But my dd Endo wouldn't let her continue shots past 11 1/2. She had reached 4'10" and he said the insurance wouldn't cover it anymore. Her height was adequate and her age was average.

My dd is on growth hormones as well but she is at the age its just time she is freaking out about getting it I told her she will still have some time after it comes out we use the implant not shots.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 6:57 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
My dd is on growth hormones as well but she is at the age its just time she is freaking out about getting it I told her she will still have some time after it comes out we use the implant not shots.

By the time my daughter was 11 1/2, she was anxious about getting her period. But she was in 6th grade. She realized half her class was wearing a bra. And assumed a few girls were already getting their period. By 6-8 months later, she wasn't exactly thrilled, but more like a way of life.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 7:33 pm
10 is VERY YOUNG for a period.
I cried like a baby at 11 that I needed to wear a bra already. I was the third girl in my class to wear one.
At 13 I was one of the only girls in camp who even had pads with them. It was hard to be one of the first.
10 would have been awful.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 7:35 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
I cried like a baby at 11 that I needed to wear a bra already. I was the third girl in my class to wear one.
At 13 I was one of the only girls in camp who even had pads with them. It was hard to be one of the first.
[quote]

Thank you!!!!
To read these comments, you'd think periods at 10 are fine. That's 4th and 5th graders.
Babies.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 7:52 pm
Sorry this makes me crazy a child starting puberty at 8 (3rd grade!!) is not normal if her Dr offered her options to let her body be a child longer there's a reasons. if you dont know anything about it or the medications dont respond. Yes bones closing early can be an issue. Developing before your peers can be embarrassing hello everyone notices the first kids to need a bra. It's basically the same as bc pills but it's changing a different hormone.

I understand the opinions for both pros and cons... but to say starting puberty at eight is “not normal” is a bit much. That was when my siblings and I all started. And My children did as well so this is the normal genetic pattern in our family. (It went really slowly and took a few years for their periods to start)

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 7:55 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

At 13?! That’s not so young! I bet there were girls who were embarrassed and hiding their pads! Ditto for bras: I remember girls wearing undershirts on top to try to hide it.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 8:12 pm
I would go to a naturopath who can help balance her hormones.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 8:14 pm
there is a lot of hormonal imbalance and so maybe there is a new normal but it's not really ideal.
May be excess estrogen
Try and have hatzlocha

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 8:26 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
I got my period at 10 and a half, did not grow after and am only 5'4. In addition to regretting my parents never forcing me to get braces, I am angry they did not do anything to stop my period and allow to grow taller. So there is definitely another side to this.

I am sorry for your pain
I am 5'3. Pretty standard height no?

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 10:59 pm
I didn't read through all the responses, so excuse me if this was mentioned already.

My daughter was seen by an endocrinologist in first grade. I was very scared of being in a position of having to put her on medication, so I tried reading up on natural ways to prevent precocious puberty. I realize many times a child is already in a situation where medication is necessary. I am just explaining my situation and why I did what I did.

This is one of the articles that helped me make some changes:

My daughter was 11 going on 12 when she got her period and had been menstruating every 3 weeks at one stage, and also developed a strong odour under her arms. After finding Carolyn Dean’s website I have her taking 2 Magnesium Choride tablets each weekday morning with a teaspoon of Chlorophyll in a glass of water. Both are good at removing toxins from the body and purifying the blood. We also eat really well through the week with night meals being meat and salad or veges, but I don’t deprive her of some treats on the weekend. Since starting the above routine, her body odour has gone and her periods have stopped at the moment. So I am happy about that as I was 15 when I got my periods.

2 - I Gave my daughter 1 tsp of magnesium citrate Powder mixed in warm water and 1 tsp of flaxseed powder everyday since last 4 months mixed with a fruit smoothie. I think there is no progress in breast development after that. Another thing is her DHEA result came 100 down. Before it was 268 and now it is 165.

3 - my cute little, then -8 year old started to develop, even though she is tall and skinny.

I instantly changed our diet over to about 95% organic. We had been mostly organic, but I let a lot of areas slide… We also live in an area of extremely high pesticide use, and while we couldn’t afford to sell our home and move, it does worry me a lot. I switched to natural cleaners, and got rid of anything made with lavender, as that is also known to mimic hormones. We then cut all soy out of our food sources, which isn’t too hard when you are making everything from scratch, but the use of soy is insidious. It’s hard to even find organic chocolate without soy in it!

It was a lot of time to cook completely homemade, but with planning ahead and doing a lot of baking on the weekends, I survived and learned how to make really tasty things at home like granola bars and bagels.

After 6 months of this strictness, I took the 8 year old back to the endocrinologist and she was shocked and surprised that the breast changes my daughter had had, were actually reversed! I really believe the soy was the biggest culprit, (as well as the environmental influences that couldn’t be changed). I have always been very focused on nutrition and buying in bulk from a co-op to make all our bread, etc.,so the soy was the biggest change. It’s really scary how much garbage is snuck into our food that is unhealthy!

I started the following four things:
1) Avoiding soy.
2) Soaking/taking magnesium.
3) Avoiding lavender.
4) Taking chlorophyll.

Baruch Hashem many of her symptoms stopped/slowed down considerably. She just finished fourth grade and is still pretty much pre or at the very beginning of puberty changes. I have been the most careful about avoiding soy and I think that has been the biggest thing. It has not been easy for her, but she is very careful BH.

I know many situations are more difficult/complicated than hers, but I just wanted to put it out there in case it could help someone. Early puberty has long and short term ramifications and should not be treated lightly.

Lots of hatzlacha! May Hashem guide you to make the right decision for your child.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 1:44 am
[quote="amother [ Firebrick ]"]
Quote:

Thank you!!!!
To read these comments, you'd think periods at 10 are fine. That's 4th and 5th graders.
Babies.

But this is perfectly normal. Many girls get their period at 11 that’s 100% normal. Ten is early but not in an abnormal way. I have only read some of the posts on this thread but they seem like coming from a parallel Scandinavian world. I got my period at 11.5 which is a bit on the earlier side of totally normal and an very short, less than 5 ft by a stretch. I can’t ever imagine taking hormones that may have detrimental future effects to be a couple of inches taller. It’s a bit annoying being short but really has very little effect on my life and is just part of the genetic draw I’ve been dealt it’s so bizarre to me to imagine parents giving drugs to their daughters so they won’t be very short (yet taller than I am). If there really is a medical abnormality I can absolutely understand this but so your daughter won’t be 5”1?! Seriously? Some people are just short there are worse things to be. Why give them the message that there is something wrong with them? I appreciate that for men the situation is different, but it sounds to me here that some people here are trying to have their daughters fit some mould of beauty. Would they also encourage said daughters to have plastic surgery if their nose is a bit big. There will always be girls who get their periods at ten and those who get it 14. It’s ok to be on the shorter or earlier side of average.
It’s ridiculous to live your life fighting nature.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 2:01 am
Mama Bear wrote:
I got my period at 12. I'm only five foot, one inch. I never thought it was correlated. Also, I think 12 is a pretty normal time. A tad early, but not that abnormal.
Funnily, my 15 yr old son is 5'9" and already has the beginning of a beard. He's still growing!

12 is average, at least in Israel (so would probably reflect average among Jews). Speaking of averages. I just checked the average height for a woman in Israel (so presumably reflective of Jews all over) is 1.61 which is just under 5”3. So if you’re 5”3 you’re pretty much average height for a Jewish woman. If you’re 5”2 your just a tad bit shorter than average. If you’re 5”4 you’re actually taller than most Jewish women.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 2:23 am
chanchy123 wrote:
But this is perfectly normal. Many girls get their period at 11 that’s 100% normal. Ten is early but not in an abnormal way. I have only read some of the posts on this thread but they seem like coming from a parallel Scandinavian world. I got my period at 11.5 which is a bit on the earlier side of totally normal and an very short, less than 5 ft by a stretch. I can’t ever imagine taking hormones that may have detrimental future effects to be a couple of inches taller. It’s a bit annoying being short but really has very little effect on my life and is just part of the genetic draw I’ve been dealt it’s so bizarre to me to imagine parents giving drugs to their daughters so they won’t be very short (yet taller than I am). If there really is a medical abnormality I can absolutely understand this but so your daughter won’t be 5”1?! Seriously? Some people are just short there are worse things to be. Why give them the message that there is something wrong with them? I appreciate that for men the situation is different, but it sounds to me here that some people here are trying to have their daughters fit some mould of beauty. Would they also encourage said daughters to have plastic surgery if their nose is a bit big. There will always be girls who get their periods at ten and those who get it 14. It’s ok to be on the shorter or earlier side of average.
It’s ridiculous to live your life fighting nature.

It's not about being short it's about your bones closing early and losing potential hight let's say you hight is supposed yo be 5'1 but bec of your bones closing early your 4'll you lost out and your bone closed early. even if you 5'6 and you could've grown to 6 feet you have a crazy call family but your bones close early it can cause issues later in life. Its easy to say it makes no sense its the way God made you. Some people have diabetes you wouldn't say why are you giving insulin!! it's an endocrine problem also, but one that makes more sense to treat. but any endocrine issue needs to be treated. These drugs are crazy expensive no insurance no parent is paying for them without very good reason. No endocrinologist is giving these out like candy. Also it's not just about hight but the emotional maturity that come with it. Writing post like this to make parents feel bad about medical choices they need to make is not helpful but could be hurtful. Until you need to do the research yourself and go through it it can be hard to understand.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 2:50 am
It's not about being short it's about your bones closing early and losing potential hight let's say you hight is supposed yo be 5'1 but bec of your bones closing early your 4'll you lost out and your bone closed early. even if you 5'6 and you could've grown to 6 feet you have a crazy call family but your bones close early it can cause issues later in life. Its easy to say it makes no sense its the way God made you. Some people have diabetes you wouldn't say why are you giving insulin!! it's an endocrine problem also, but one that makes more sense to treat. but any endocrine issue needs to be treated. These drugs are crazy expensive no insurance no parent is paying for them without very good reason. No endocrinologist is giving these out like candy. Also it's not just about hight but the emotional maturity that come with it. Writing post like this to make parents feel bad about medical choices they need to make is not helpful but could be hurtful. Until you need to do the research yourself and go through it it can be hard to understand.

There is a difference between a hormonal imbalance that requires treatment and painting a picture of a height of 5”1 or period at ten as abnormal and requiring medical treatment. The not making parents feel bad about themselves argument goes both way - doesn’t it? However the attitudes expressed here were not about the importance of treating medical issues of hormonal imbalance, I don’t think anyone can argue against that, they were discussing what is “normal” and what is not.
Let’s put it this way, growth hormone treatments are very rare in Israel and I would not be so suspicious if a doctor subscribed them. Being familiar with the very unique opioid crisis as a result of the very strange codependency between doctors and pharmaceutical companies in the US I would take such medical advice with a grain of salt.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 5:24 am
I visited the States last year (Florida) and was shocked to see what the kids looked like.

Some of the 6 year old Jewish boys and girls there look like 9 year old Israeli ones. Big, overgrown, about to develop.

I strongly believe that something in the American diet is messing with kids' hormones. Maybe it's all the hormones in the milk and meat, or maybe it's processed junk.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 8:27 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
I visited the States last year (Florida) and was shocked to see what the kids looked like.

Some of the 6 year old Jewish boys and girls there look like 9 year old Israeli ones. Big, overgrown, about to develop.

I strongly believe that something in the American diet is messing with kids' hormones. Maybe it's all the hormones in the milk and meat, or maybe it's processed junk.

Or maybe vice versus: there is something lacking in the Israeli diet that’s making the children tiny?!
This thread is so sad.
Again: I understand both sides but I’m hoping you’re also giving over the message of loving ones body over to your children: yes, loving a body that’s small, loving a body that’s big, embracing the upcoming womanhood as something exciting (no matter when it happens) instead of the dread I’m reading here.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 8:38 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Or maybe vice versus: there is something lacking in the Israeli diet that’s making the children tiny?!
This thread is so sad.
Again: I understand both sides but I’m hoping you’re also giving over the message of loving ones body over to your children: yes, loving a body that’s small, loving a body that’s big, embracing the upcoming womanhood as something exciting (no matter when it happens) instead of the dread I’m reading here.

Let me clarify. My daughter was just 9 and 4'4". She didn't just have breast buds. It was further progressed and pubic hair. The Dr said we were 6-9 months from a period. Based on x-rays and bone growth, she had 3 inches to grow.
I gave the Lupron injections. Not to grow tall. But to delay puberty. In other words press pause on her development to give her brain time to develop, to get her to a reasonable height (not tall, just not 4'6") and to not be teased and tormented by her classmate.
I made my decision and I can't backtrack it.
I just want to make it clear that I didn't make it lightheaded, and it wasn't a shallow decision.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 9:52 am
Let me clarify. My daughter was just 9 and 4'4". She didn't just have breast buds. It was further progressed and pubic hair. The Dr said we were 6-9 months from a period. Based on x-rays and bone growth, she had 3 inches to grow.
I gave the Lupron injections. Not to grow tall. But to delay puberty. In other words press pause on her development to give her brain time to develop, to get her to a reasonable height (not tall, just not 4'6") and to not be teased and tormented by her classmate.
I just want to make it clear that I didn't make it lightheaded, and it wasn't a shallow decision.

I understand you 100 percent! Like I said- I can see both sides to this- let’s just make sure that together with the hormones we’re giving over to our daughters an appreciation for growing into beautiful females!
Continued success in this journey for both you and you daughter

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 9:58 am
Didn’t read other replies.

Go off plastics, soy, dairy, and other phytoestrogens.

Take her to a functional integrative md who will run functional hormonal testing and recommend supplements accordingly. DIM for example can help the liver metabolize excess estrogen.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 2:21 pm

Sounds like good parenting to me.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics