Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Where to stay in Paris in the fall?

amother

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 10:53 am
Hi Everyone,

Were trying to plan a trip to Paris for Thanksgiving weekend. We both have off, and my parents can take the kids. I know its really far in advance, but id rather great rates on hotels and airfares now (were big travelers and only like to fly one airline or their partners, were big into the miles accumulation thing...right now, there are business class tickets in the 600 range, I dont think I can do much better than that!), rather than waiting till everything gets booked and prices soar for a gigantic holiday weekend.

Anyway, I have been trying to do some reading online, and I found out there are basically two Jewish areas - one in the 9th district (arrondissement)-Rue Richer, in NW paris, and one in the 4th district (arrondissement)- rue des rosiers-more central paris.

We would like to stay somewhere where there is a shul within close walking distance (not more than 2 or 3 blocks) for Shabbos, and it would be nice if there were somewhere nearby that offered meals (kindof like what they have at tower 41 in Miami), but this isnt necessary, I know there are tons of stores and restaurants in Paris, and im totally OK with buying everything, finding a store that sells a hot plate, and just making it work in a makeshift vacation-y way.

I know (from my reading online) that there are "kosher" hotels, but this really is absolutely NOT the type of romantic anniversary trip were looking for! We want to stay in a more "posh" place, not a place with a "heimish" atmosphere.

I would ideally like to find something nice (like the equivalent of the Hilton, Westin, or W chains in the US, for under 300/night. We dont care if its a boutique or a large chain, we just want somewhere that is nice, and as luxurious as we can find for ~300. Does anyone know of anything in the area? I figured Id post this here, rather than just asking people (like Ruchel) FROM paris, because chances are, Ruchel hasnt stayed in all the hotels!! Maybe someone from the US or England or Israel (or wherever) HAS, and can offer me some tips for planning travel!!

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 1:13 pm
sorry 2 do this...im bumping my own thread...please dont hate me...
does anyone know anything?? im sure people on here have visited paris, because there are so many discussions about things to do, and places to eat!! so where did all you france-visitors stay???????

amother

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 10:30 am
anyone??

his_sweety

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 10:34 am
rue de rosiers is in the jewish area + you will have kosher food close by which will make it easier! there is a lot to do in france, depending also if you spk the language, they have some amazing museums!! id suggest you visit the french alps too, extremely beautiful!!!

Lani22

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 10:41 am
http://www.expedia.com/pub/age.....&

amother

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 10:41 am
wow, thanks a ton for the response. you said rue de rosiers is the jewish area. how on earth to I get onto expedia or something and search for hotels in that "area?" are there zip codes or something? im going in totally blind, so I really have no clue how to find things in that area. any hotel recommendations?

also, how far are the alps. we were really thinking just a long weekend (all we can afford to take off from work + school without getting docked or anything) over thanksgiving. is it driveable? we actually werent going to rent a car, being that we dont know the city, we were kindof going to depend on cabs (is that a bad idea?) I was kindof assuming it would be like NYC in that sense- you just hail a cab, etc, being that its a pretty large city....

amother

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 10:43 am
lani 22 - thanks for the link, but are those in jewish areas? how on earth do I determine? I dont speak french, so calling them is not an option. like I (think I) said in my orig post, we dont want to go stay in a "heimish" hotel, we want a more posh hotel, because if were going to take this trip were planning for a year, we want it to be gorgeous and perfect...

his_sweety

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 10:55 am
if your going for a weekend only I would suggest mountains rather than city, what could you possibly do in a city on shabbes? if you both like scenic views stay at a hotel atop of one of those beautiful mountains, you can choose snow (top) or beautiful county (mid mountain) and go hiking or just relax in such amazing surroundings!! and you can always drive in to the city on sunday morning. I would not rely on cabs, its not like nyc but rather take the train, cheap and much faster!

btw.. you wont find heimishe hotels in france during the year, only summer and new years

Lani22

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 11:00 am
amother wrote:
lani 22 - thanks for the link, but are those in jewish areas? how on earth do I determine? I dont speak french, so calling them is not an option. like I (think I) said in my orig post, we dont want to go stay in a "heimish" hotel, we want a more posh hotel, because if were going to take this trip were planning for a year, we want it to be gorgeous and perfect...

I put the jewish district into expedia and that link was from the hotels that were close by.

cassandra

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 11:02 am
I agree about transportation. The Metro is very easy to learn and very efficient. Cabs= sitting in traffic.

In terms of hotels, you say you like Westins, and I do too. So I went to the Starwood website and these are the Starwood hotels in Paris:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/.....ts=01

Once you have an address in the Jewish area and the address of the hotel you can put it into google maps and find out the distance.

Usually hotel personnel speak English, so I don't know why you'd be afraid to call.

And remember that it is currently 1.5 dollars to 1 Euro.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 11:07 am
his_sweety, the reason were not doing the mountain thing, is because my family goes every winter to vail, so whats the big deal. im sure the alps are gorgeous, but the rocky mountains are pretty nice too, gorgeous views, nice shopping, great skiing, AND very posh accomidations at a magnificent hotel in vail (how my parents spend midwinter every year, so all our expenses are paid for its a family trip). SO - if were going to get an all expense paid trip to the mountains 6 weeks later, we want to spend our money and do something unique, something not like where were going to be in vail.
I have no clue about public transportation there, right now I think id be terrified to take a subway in a city where I dont speak the language, too many "risks," of getting lost etc, but my husband speaks a bit of french, so maybe well be ok....
any idea of hotels ??

his_sweety

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 11:13 am
want to consider italy? rome or venice? in paris you need to travel with transportation to get to attractions, otherwise its just another extremely busy city... btw.. transportation in europ is much safer than in usa, except for the suburbs of paris, all you will see is classy white people - nothing to be scared of Wink

amother

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 11:17 am
I would love venice or rome (probably more than paris)....well except that both have less options in terms of food, but thats not so important, its just that they are both further than paris (like 4+ hours right?), and I know in the long run 4 hours doesnt seem like much, but being that were considering a wednesday thru sunday night trip, wed like to minimize our travel time, save italy for when we have a good week or more to go and enjoy every second...

his_sweety

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 11:20 am
4 hours?where did u get that from? where are you travelling from and how? if your travelling by plane, its no more than 1/2- 1 hour difference MAYBE!!!

amother

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 11:23 am
his_sweety wrote:
4 hours?where did u get that from? where are you travelling from and how? if your travelling by plane, its no more than 1/2- 1 hour difference MAYBE!!!

heres where im basing it on, but maybe im wrong. we want to make sure we get business, and we want to make sure we get cheap tickets too.
so we can get upgraded from jfk to paris easily, so thats fine. but from jfk to italy, the airline we fly doesnt fly direect every day, so it would be jfk to frankfurt, frankfurt to rome/venince. which would mean transferring planes, waiting, then flyingfrom germany to italy. I guess im just tied down by such constraints, because if were flying for 6+ hours, for a luxury vacation, planning it 8 months in advance, there is no way were flying coach.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 1:08 pm
found this thread, and was wondering if anyone could recommend some nice hotels in paris for a "honeymoon" (better late than never right?)

we want somewhere in a jewish area (we'll be there for shabbos hopefully, so wed want somewhere in walking distance to shuls), but DONT want to stay in a "jewish hotel," we want something more authentic french, for a really neat romantic beautiful honeymoon experience. wed like to keep it under 350 per night, if possible, but I dont even know if that arbitrary number is reasonable as ive never been to paris lol...

any advice?

thanks!

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 1:15 pm
what good hotel do you mean? good or DELUXE

In France if I'm not mistaken (rarely go to hotels here Wink ), the maximum is 4 starts, so REAL deluxe hotels are 4 stars too, but called "4 stars de luxe"... for the price you mention you won't find a 4 stars deluxe in Paris! But 4 stars you probably can find, and it's already great! depends on what you want, since you said honeymoon.

You can find one in walking distance of a shul and not too far from a Jewish area, but IN a Jewish area, no!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics