Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Dealing with a shopping cart and Doona

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 10:36 pm
ok, so I have a pretty stupid question. Tomorrow I’m going grocery shopping for the first time with my baby, who’s already 6 months old (blame covid it took so long). I have a Doona.

What’s the best way to deal with him and the shopping cart? He’s too young to sit unassisted.

Do I push the Doona and the cart? Put the Doona in the cart? Hold him while pushing the cart? Some other secret I don’t know yet?
I need a cart, a basket isn’t big enough.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 10:39 pm
if you have a choice of grocery stores, a lot of very big supermarkets have BIG carts. that fit the doona and the groceries..If I take my doona to a store that doesn't have the big carts, I bring a kid along to push my doona. it's really hard to push both

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 10:39 pm
One of the reasons I returned my doona!
Borrow a normal car seat, and place the entire thing into the cart. Also, in some places the carts accommodate car seats

Rappel

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 10:40 pm
Put him in a baby carrier?

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 10:54 pm
It's definitely a struggle. I would try to make it a family outing so that dad can push one while I push the other (not Doona, reg stroller). If that didn't work I'd just take whatever fits in my basket sometimes. I made sure to get a stroller with a big basket. Another option is to leave the baby with the sitter for an extra hour after work and stop by the supermarket then.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 12:09 am
I do this all the time. Push the Doona in front of you with your right hand while pulling the front of the cart with your other hand from behind you.

I hate my doona for other reasons (preferred a car seat but the Doona was gifted to me), but I do this all the time and the shopping I do not find difficult.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 1:06 am
at 6 months your baby can probably sit in the top of the shopping cart (where you put your legs through) with some supports at his side (like paper towels). I think.

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 1:24 am
Love my trusty ol’ snap n go Very Happy
I use the basket underneath as my shopping cart

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 2:04 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
I do this all the time. Push the Doona in front of you with your right hand while pulling the front of the cart with your other hand from behind you.

That'a what I do too, with my 9 months old since he's 6 weeks.. The Doona pushes with ease, you don't feel like your pushing anything. And it glides easily between the aisles.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 2:06 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Love my trusty ol’ snap n go Very Happy
I use the basket underneath as my shopping cart

I feel up 2 carts at my weekly grocery expedition. You think the underneath basket can fill that need? Twisted Evil

Teomima

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 2:47 am
Over a decade of parenting and I've never gone shopping with a stroller AND a shopping cart.

I've put a regular car seat inside a shopping cart. I've used a stroller with a decent basket as a shopping cart. I've worn my baby in a baby carrier and used a shopping cart, no stroller, and I've also worn the baby and used the stroller as a shopping cart. I've seen woman struggling through the store, pushing a stroller with one hand and pulling a cart with the other. If you're happy doing that, good for you. But it's not for me, at all.

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 4:57 am
Rappel wrote:
Put him in a baby carrier?

This! I do it with my ergo carrier. Baby stays happier, you don't lose space in the shopping cart, and baby is safe if you need to leave the cart for a minute and walk to find something.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 5:02 am
When I shopped with the doona I only shopped in NPGS because they have carts big enough that could accommodate a doona plus room for groceries.

stillnewlywed

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 9:36 am
This is the main reason I didn't get a doona.
I find it really comical watching all the moms trying to push a doona and a cart in the grocery.
I have the Uppababy carseat that can either snap right into my Vista base so I can use the basket, or I can just put the carseat into the shopping cart.
Either way your baby is 6 months, so it shouldn't be long until you can put him straight into the wagon and leave your doona in the car.

teachkids

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 9:43 am
By 6 months I bought a little cloth shopping cart cover that had extra straps to help baby stay upright. She sat in the top of the cart and looked around.

lucky14

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 1:39 am
[quote="amother [ Tan ]"]I do this all the time. Push the Doona in front of you with your right hand while pulling the front of the cart with your other hand from behind you.../quote]

I did this with my City Mini and it worked just fine with that too. My baby spat up so much there was no way I could wear her in a carrier without being covered in spit up by the end of the outing.
My first suggestion would be to wear the baby in a carrier if possible. I did this with my first baby and it is the easiest way to do grocery shopping.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics