Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Babies separated at birth from mother
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 12:31 pm
I heard that when you arrive in hospital for birth they do a corona test and if the mom is positive they separate the mom and baby. I'm due soon and have no reason to suspect corona. But still I would like to know if by (Israeli) law I can refuse to be separated from the baby in case I'm ch''v positive. I want real answers, not just what people assume. I would ask a lawyer but I don't know who. (Can I pick up phone and just ask a lawyer that?)

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 12:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I heard that when you arrive in hospital for birth they do a corona test and if the mom is positive they separate the mom and baby. I'm due soon and have no reason to suspect corona. But still I would like to know if by (Israeli) law I can refuse to be separated from the baby in case I'm ch''v positive. I want real answers, not just what people assume. I would ask a lawyer but I don't know who. (Can I pick up phone and just ask a lawyer that?)

At Ichilov they let you stay together with your baby in the Corona ward. But if the baby needs NICU or monitoring then they take him away and you can't visit.

IDK what would happen if the mother insisted on going home with the baby right away, or if she refused to take the Corona test upon entrance. Those are questions you could ask the hospital.

rivkam

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 12:38 pm
You can chose if you would like to be separated or not. The doctors can recommend that you separate however they cannot enforce it.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 12:46 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:

IDK what would happen if the mother insisted on going home with the baby right away, or if she refused to take the Corona test upon entrance. Those are questions you could ask the hospital.

If you refuse a test they would treat you as positive.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 12:56 pm
If you test positive INSIST on another test.
I know someone who tested positive but she was convinced she didn't have it so she insisted they retest here. And the retest came out negative

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 1:08 pm
rivkam wrote:
You can chose if you would like to be separated or not. The doctors can recommend that you separate however they cannot enforce it.
that's what I think/assume, but would you know for sure? I heard from two people that recently gave birth and they begged for their baby and could see it even for a second. One wasn't even allowed to take home the baby so her sister came to take the baby for her, as they wanted her to be separated at home from baby to. So I'm wondering what would happen if they would have refused and made a fuss? Can they call child services on me if I refuse to cooperate

chanchy123

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 1:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
that's what I think/assume, but would you know for sure? I heard from two people that recently gave birth and they begged for their baby and could see it even for a second. One wasn't even allowed to take home the baby so her sister came to take the baby for her, as they wanted her to be separated at home from baby to. So I'm wondering what would happen if they would have refused and made a fuss? Can they call child services on me if I refuse to cooperate

If you test positive or refuse to test my guess is that they certainly will call CPS/police as a last resort. If you have no reason to suspect corona try to isolate as much as possible before birth and honestly chances you have it are pretty slim. Women I know who are at the end of their term try very hard to stay away from crowds etc.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 1:27 pm
I would call and ask my OB/gyn s/he should know the rules.

If I were truly stressed about it I would look into my options of giving birth at home.

Bshaah Tovah!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 1:35 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
I would call and ask my OB/gyn s/he should know the rules.

If I were truly stressed about it I would look into my options of giving birth at home.

Bshaah Tovah!
I wish I could. I live to far away from a hospital. I'm not very scared, but I want to know my rights after hearing so many horror stories. I can't imagine giving birth and being separated from my baby. It's so cruel.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 1:38 pm
This is what happens when government gets too powerful.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 1:59 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Any and all governments? If any hospitals do this it is for the health of the new born baby, how do you not see this? Banging head Banging head Banging head Banging head

Elfrida

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 2:32 pm
#BestBubby wrote:

The issue under discussion is not how powerful the government is, and what effects that may have. As it happens, the Israeli government is rather weak at the moment.

The issue is policy set, in the main, by individual hospitals, to try to ensure the maximum public safety, and how to help the OP negotiate those policies in the best way possible for her and her baby.

I'm sure she would appreciate it if we stayed on topic.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 3:47 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Any and all governments? If any hospitals do this it is for the health of the new born baby, how do you not see this? Banging head Banging head Banging head Banging head

WHO says the risks of a baby being breastfed by Corona positive mother with a mask are less than the risks from separating mother and baby.

octopus

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 4:40 pm
Look, I don't know what the answer is, but it is exceptionally cruel to separate a baby and mother. The Torah recognizes this with animals (shiluach haken) kal vchomer with humans. It is also counterintuitive .

2gether

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 4:45 pm
I know at Laniado you can refuce the test
I think you should call the hospital you plan to go to and not a dr. or lawyer

Elfrida

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 4:51 pm
They recently made a bris at one of the Corona hotels. The mother was positive, and the baby also tested positive soon after birth. They went to a hotel, to avoid infecting the rest of the family, who were negative.

The baby was completely asymptomatic, and it was judged that a bris would cause no further risk. There 'happened' to be a very experienced mohel at the same hotel, who was happy to help. They got permission for the father to attend in full protective gear, and everyone at the hotel joined in.

Neither in the hospital nor the hotel was the baby separated from his mother for any significant period.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 3:59 am
You really have to find out what the policy is at the hospital where you plan to give birth. It should probably be on their website, or just call. There are set policies (that keep on changing, but still).
The only hospital I've checked is Shamir where if the mother is positive and the child negative it's her choice.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 4:36 am
I have two problems with checking with hospital. 1) the policies change every day
2) I don't really have much choice about what hospital to go to. There are two hospitals that are close (not really) to me. One is very strict about corona and they definitely separate mom and baby. The other one is less strict, that's where I'm planning to go.
Calling and asking there policy is only going to stress me out more if I don't like what I hear

amother
White

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 4:49 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
At Ichilov they let you stay together with your baby in the Corona ward. But if the baby needs NICU or monitoring then they take him away and you can't visit.

Same at Tel Hashomer.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 4:51 am
Please call the hospital, and have them send the policy to you in writing. If you are unhappy with it, forward your questions to an attorney, and see if they can draw up a directive for you. The hospital has the right not to accept a letter from your attorney, but it's worth a try.

Definitely isolate yourself for the weeks up until birth, and if you have to go out, mask up well (no cheating!) Limit your time out of the house as much as possible. If you need to go for walks to save your sanity, try to go at times when there are fewer people around.

B'sha'a Tova!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics