Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Kids Speak by Chaim Walder
1  2  Next

llolly

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 8:14 pm
Anyone know which kids speak book is best for children 8 - 14 yrs old. There are 12. Thanks!

Blessing1

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 8:42 pm
They're all good. Personal stories are always interesting. I like reading them.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 8:44 pm
All are amazing! They will love every single one!

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 10:22 pm
I consider them all basically equivalent but without having read them all I would guess that the more recent ones would be more relatable to current generation kids. My dd enjoys the ones from when I was younger, though.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 10:23 pm
As a kid I found kids speak #3 to be the scariest and #1 to have the most simple stories. Dont remember the rest

flapsmom

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 11:15 pm
NONE! I had nightmares for months as a child after reading some stories.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 11:24 pm
I think the first kid speak had the most stories - and they were shorter, more to the point.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 11:26 pm
flapsmom wrote:

At what age did you read the books?

flapsmom

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 11:38 pm
About eight or nine don't remember exactly

Blessing1

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 11:44 pm
flapsmom wrote:
About eight or nine don't remember exactly

I think this is a bit too young to read kids speak. I wouldn't let my 9 year old read it yet, maybe at age 10-12. There are probably some younger kids that can handle it, but I think it's geared more for pre teens.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 12:07 am
Blessing1 wrote:
I think this is a bit too young to read kids speak. I wouldn't let my 9 year old read it yet, maybe at age 10-12. There are probably some younger kids that can handle it, but I think it's geared more for pre teens.

Really? The characters aren't all that old, and the writing level is lower. If it's supposed to be marketed toward preteens and up, the publisher didn't really do a great job.

Signed someone who was horrified to find her 5 yo reading it. The reading level was on par with hers, but the content was way too hard. So I figured it's probably written for the average 8-9 yo.
I still remember the Malki abduction story myself... The tickle and stop breathing one... Etc

srbmom

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 12:10 am
Quote:

I did too! I don't let my kids read these books, they'd be in my room every night with nightmares. You have to know your kids' personalties....

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 12:21 am
I read them all as a kid. Never had a nightmare and loved them. Read People Speak when I was way too young LOL and that was a little much.

But now as an adult (and a teacher who brings some of these stories into class on occasion) I am sometimes upset by the way some of the lessons are presented and I really don't think they're examples of good Chinuch and teaching emotional intelligence.

That said, I love the earlier volumes and the Our Heroes set

Scotty

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 2:09 pm
I will also say that while I loved them as a kid as an adult I'm kind of horrified at how it imprinted on me a culture gap with Israeli culture - all the social gymnastics, feuds, 'queen bee' situations and so on bewildered me as a child, disgusted me as a teen, and made me feel very remote toward Jewish Israeli society as an adult, so there's that. American societal mores differ very greatly, for better or worse. I kind of wish I wouldn't have let my own children read them because feeling distant from other Jews makes me sad.

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 2:11 pm
My kids loved them all at that age. They are early/mid teens now and still will read them.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 5:45 pm
They're amazing books but way way too intense for a sensitive child.
I remember having terrible nightmares and the stories being constantly on my mind.

I reread them as an adult and laugh at myself.
Helavai such stories should make such an impression on me now. The garbage I read these days....

avrahamama

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 5:54 pm
Funny. I dislike the series. And would beg my son to have me read him something else at bedtime. He got hooked at around 7. But when I taught in elementary school I realized kids LOVE the series. And I ended up using it as writing project on how to write personal narratives.

I still feel it's a bit too heavy for kids ... But they love it.

STMommy

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 6:44 pm
There is a story in book 1 that horribly upset me...as an adult.

keym

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 7:08 pm
STMommy wrote:
There is a story in book 1 that horribly upset me...as an adult.

Which one?
My kids love the books. I see them as all the things I as a mother can be nervous or stressed out about.

STMommy

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 7:37 pm
The one where the man calls the girl by her name so she assumes he knows her and she follows him inside and....yeah.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room