Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
How much would you spend on jewelry?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 5:36 am
Hi there!

I’m currently in the early process of designing a small line of jewelry. Completely original designs, sterling silver, good quality costume jewelry that’s meant to be pieces you can love and wear for a while with care but I’m trying to price in a way that’s affordable and accessible. Aligned with trends but still a little classic so hopefully shouldn’t go out of style in a season.

They can be worn every day but can also dress up for Shabbos/holiday/etc and be layered to add to the blinginess.

Based on manufacturing and the uniqueness of design, the price ranges I’m looking at will likely have to be in the 40-75 range, dont think anything will be over 100, but also aiming to design maybe smaller or daintier versions (like smaller stud based earrings vs statement) in the 30-40 range. The line will probably have 10 pieces to start.

I would love to know people’s thoughts! I’m only anonymous because it’s super early stages!

DrMom

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 5:52 am
Prices sound about right. Hard to say if I personally would buy such jewelry without pictures.

Good luck on your new business. Do you design the pieces yourself?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 7:00 am
DrMom wrote:
Prices sound about right. Hard to say if I personally would buy such jewelry without pictures.

Good luck on your new business. Do you design the pieces yourself?

Yes! Working on first round of samples now and fleshing out the line. Probably will add pieces per season but want to keep it small for now and see what happens.

And yeah, jewelry is super taste specific. This is stuff I’d buy and hopefully others like too. Smile

Now I’m trying to figure out sample order quantity and price point or if I have to change up some of the designs to be smaller stones or alternates or if it makes sense to keep and adjust pricing accordingly.

Thanks for the feedback!

SuperWify

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 9:17 am
I wouldn’t spend so much on customs jewelry unless it looks real and is a good price. My favorite “diamond” hoops were $40 and look super real. I get compliments all the time.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 9:24 am
If the quality looks OK then I'd definitely spend that amount.
I like having such pieces. I don't want to wear my real real jewelry all the time, so these things are great for weekday, or vacation when I don't want to take along real.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 8:24 pm
Thanks for the input!

Simple1

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 8:35 pm
I usually spend lower, but that's just me. For that price I'd want quality in that it doesn't break or tarnish easily.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 8:46 pm
My husband bought me something for 150 but I felt uncomfortable with the price - it's not real after all. So I exchanged for 80.

And for those who will say that I should just accept what I got, I knew we were tight then and so these few dollars counted.

flapsmom

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 11:41 pm
Price sounds right for what it is. Plenty of costume jewelry is over $100 and I'd never spend that much! Hatzlacha rabba with this endeavor!

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 7:45 am
I've been making and selling jewelry for a VERY long time.

I have too much advice to give over here, because it would break my keyboard!

For starters, sterling silver is NOT costume jewelry. In the industry it is called "bridge" jewelry, because it fills the gap between costume (brass based) and fine (gold based).

In marketing, if each design is unique, shows a level of originality, and/or uses precious stones, the the term is "artisan". That one simple word will justify your prices in the eye of the consumer.

The market is flooded with high quality silver and gemstone jewelry from India, and I mean FLOODED. If your designs do not jump out and say "ORIGINAL", then you will get bypassed for the much more affordable designs that are more basic. You really need to up your game to survive in the jewelry business these days.

Some people are afraid of originality, or of standing out in any way. They are not interested in unique pieces. Some sellers buy imported basic pieces to sell alongside their handmade items, to fill out their display/website, and have "something for everyone." That is a legit business model.

Other sellers are determined to "sell their brand", keep a very high end identity, and don't want to dilute their image with lower priced "everyday" items. If you go to a gem and jewelry show, you'll see plenty of examples of both.

You can PM me if you want more guidance. I offer mentoring services over Skype or FB video chat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics