Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Reflections on Summer Camp 2020
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 8:28 am
A short while ago there were posts about Sleepaway camps and legal loopholes and out of state campuses. There were many many imas who “predicted” that Sleepaway camps would be shut by the health department since they’re “Petri dishes” for infections etc etc. There was an aura of panic and fear that some were trying to instill on others. I’m not sure why...

While there were a few camps that may have had some kids that returned with a positive test, overall most camps did okay if not amazing. There has been no severe “outbreak” as many of you anticipated. As one camp photo showed the campers lined up “we did it”. Many camps successfully gave our kids the summer of lifetime. I am so grateful to the Ribono Shel Olam for allowing my teenagers to thrive this summer in a healthy, safe environment since we have no idea what the future will bring.

May you all have a ksiva vchasim tova!

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 8:33 am
Agreed!!!!

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 8:35 am
Agreed. Already agreed in mid May when things were looking good in NY. Thank you Hashem that Cuomo and all other hysteria spreaders were proven wrong!

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 8:36 am
My kids are still there but I'm so happy I made the decision to send them despite the risks. They needed a good productive summer.
When they come home we'll do a test for each one to see if we're dealing with anything invisible and then on to the school year, please G-d.
א כתיבה וחתימה טובה to everyone.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 8:52 am
BH!
Let's daven we don't see an uptick over the next few weeks.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 8:56 am
I am very happy that it worked out ok without a significant increase in sick people. I still hold it was a chillul Hashem.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 9:02 am
Agreed! The impending doom and disaster never happened! Hysteria for nothing. Happy for all the kids whose mental health was restored. #mental health is just as important as physical

amother
Red

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 9:10 am
Agreed. My teen boys had an amazing summer. The people running the camp are heroes. The counselors are heroes. They tried to give the boys an amazing time under the circumstances and succeeded. The boys thrived and needed it badly after a tough couple of months. And no, no infections in their camp.

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 9:14 am
Agreed 100%!!!!

Especially all those doom and gloom sayers who were worried that chas v'sholom the frum community would overwhelm Harris Hospital - did they even have one Covid related admission? Boruch Hashem.

thanks

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 9:25 am
My son's camp sent home a few boys who had the virus. So glad that camp carried on for the rest of the boys. They stayed closely in touch with the dept of health in the state they were in. (no chillul Hashem there at all.) He had a great time and a growing experience! Camp director is a real hero!
כל מי שעוסקים בצרכי ציבור....
All leaders who took this on themselves to run healthy summer programs for our children should be blessed!

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 9:29 am
notshanarishona wrote:
I am very happy that it worked out ok without a significant increase in sick people. I still hold it was a chillul Hashem.

Agreed. It was a huge chillul Hashem and caused a lot of hatred (from year round residents to frum Jews). It also fostered the (perhaps correct?) impression that frum Jews do whatever they want without considering others and think they are above the law.

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 9:40 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Agreed. It was a huge chillul Hashem and caused a lot of hatred (from year round residents to frum Jews). It also fostered the (perhaps correct?) impression that frum Jews do whatever they want without considering others and think they are above the law.

Really? Not true.

I think you have to re-read what the definition of chilul Hashem is. Opening camps for kids definitely was NOT. (And they basically complied with the law so not getting this argument).

keym

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 10:45 am
Delete. Wrong thread

soap suds

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 10:50 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
The hatred was there before Covid. This didn’t CAUSE anything.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 10:52 am
It was a kiddush Hashem that we gave the kids an awesome summer and cared about their ruchnius, gashmius, physical, mental and emotion health, instead of falling for the lousy politics. Mi keamcha Yisroel!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 9:47 pm
Not so fast with all the self back patting.... HASC just sent everyone home early because at least five people tested positive, some with symptoms! Hope it doesn't cause an outbreak! Banging head

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 9:50 pm
Hopefully they will be fine. The kids may have underlying conditions, right? In the meantime, it is still a fact that the vast majority of camps did more than fine B"H.

So grateful and happy!

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 10:01 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Not so fast with all the self back patting.... HASC just sent everyone home early because at least five people tested positive, some with symptoms! Hope it doesn't cause an outbreak! Banging head

Camp HASC opened this year? Pretty sure they announced a while ago that they're only opening as a day camp....

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 10:05 pm
Has opened as a day camp....but all staff were on campus. So I guess you are right, sorry of......

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 10:07 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Has opened as a day camp....but all staff were on campus. So I guess you are right, sorry of......

Funny. Day camps were totally legal so no issues there... again, this is why none of us care too much about the fine print legalities at this point. Day camps were allowed, bungalow colonies were allowed, and only sleepaway camps were not Banging head . The logic of hizzoner....
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children