Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
“Camp is not a luxury. It is a necessity.”
  Previous  1  2  3  9  10  11

healthy18

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 7:43 pm
I recently felt that way when just about every seminary was having charidy campaigns. Like seriously? No one asked girls to go to sem and it is not a necessity to most girls. Don't get me wrong-I had a great year in sem but would not donate to something that is not a legit organization, which they are not, they are a business.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 8:04 pm
healthy18 wrote:
I recently felt that way when just about every seminary was having charidy campaigns. Like seriously? No one asked girls to go to sem and it is not a necessity to most girls. Don't get me wrong-I had a great year in sem but would not donate to something that is not a legit organization, which they are not, they are a business.

That I wouldn't donate to because they pick and choose and don't accept everyone. I have seen, however, campaigns to help specific girls rather than raising money for the seminaries themselves.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 9:00 pm
healthy18 wrote:

Why are seminaries raising money?

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 10:17 pm
southernbubby wrote:
That I wouldn't donate to because they pick and choose and don't accept everyone. I have seen, however, campaigns to help specific girls rather than raising money for the seminaries themselves.

That's a completely different story.
I might contribute to help send a specific child to camp, if I knew his circumstances warranted it. I would not contribute to a camp overall, or a fund that is vaguely designed to help send campers to camp.

tinyspark

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 6:24 am
Depends were you live and your standards religously. I grew up out of town and if no daycamp had plenty to do bike with friends swim ect. We also went on trips. My kids are growing up in brooklyn. No place to play. No big backyards. Biking oftentimes means knocking into people. We dont watch TV. I dont encourage too much screentime no matter the season. And we dont have a car to go on any big trips. So yes sleepaway camp is a neccessity.

pause

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 9:40 am
I didn't read through the whole thread. Can someone just tell me if the longest thread in imamother history was already linked here? The other camp thread?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 9:45 am
pause wrote:
I didn't read through the whole thread. Can someone just tell me if the longest thread in imamother history was already linked here? The other camp thread?

Yes it was Very Happy
I think it was 166 pages long! 😱

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 9:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes it was Very Happy

Link?

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 9:55 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Link?

Go back a few pages, someone posted the link in this thread.

pause

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 10:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes it was Very Happy

Ok, so if it was linked already, my job on this thread is done Smile

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 10:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Why are seminaries raising money?

Why not? Don't most schools engage in fundraising?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 10:46 am
Btw - while I’m a happy parent I totally I understand why someone who is not a parent wouldn’t donate.
I probably wouldn’t donate to a random camp I didn’t send to. I just probably wouldn’t criticize them for trying.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 10:49 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Why not? Don't most schools engage in fundraising?

From what this poster wrote, it sounded like it was unique to this year, but maybe I misunderstood. Also, I didn’t think seminaries fundraise as they charge a fortune. Regular schools which aren’t a luxury often have to operate at a loss and therefore need to fundraise.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 10:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
From what this poster wrote, it sounded like it was unique to this year, but maybe I misunderstood. Also, I didn’t think seminaries fundraise as they charge a fortune. Regular schools which aren’t a luxury often have to operate at a loss and therefore need to fundraise.

Plus, a good percentage of parents do not pay full tuition for schools.
Seminaries have almost all students paying full (extremely high) tuitions. They may give a few breaks here and there. But, by far, any scholarships come from outside places.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 12:57 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Link?
Find saw50st8s post a few pages back. She posted the link. Thats was quite the thread. The OP of that thread hasnt been on imamother in years Smile

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 1:23 pm
The link for the old, 166 page thread is on page 7 in this thread

boysrock

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 8:22 pm
I don’t know if all of you responding have teenaged boys, as a mother of a teenaged son living in Brooklyn camp was a necessity this year. After a year with little structure my son needed camp. He came home a different person, calmer happier more relaxed. Bh I was able to afford camp but I think it is a necessity for many children. It may be a luxury for some but some teenagers really need. This camp is an unbelievable place very low key, wholesome fun, no frills with unbelievable staff handpicked to give the boys a great summer. I have so much appreciation to them
Page 11 of 11   Previous  1  2  3  9  10  11 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children