Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Saying Nishmas

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 8:48 am
I've heard it's an inyan when struggling with a difficult situation to say "Nishmas" every time there is a minor improvement or positive step.

I've started to do this with regards to my husband's employment situation, but it seems silly to say Nishmas after a 15 minute phone interview that will go nowhere (he discovered mid-call he wasn't qualified for the job) or for a email from a friend who says he'll keep him in mind if anything comes up.

What I'm trying to say is, I really want to be grateful for everything that is going well and for these minor "improvements", but it feels defeating. Any ideas from people who have done this?

Thank you!

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 9:01 am
I think when one takes upon themselves
To say or do something than it’s supposed to be unconditional.
For you to expect a job to materialize just b/c you said Nishmas is not realistic.

That’s what I think anyway. Not judging you or anything.

If you take upon yourself say it, Than just say it and have no immediate expectations.

Just Cz you Think something should happen does not mean Hashem wants that for you.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 9:15 am
I said nishmas every day for a while and my dc got engaged!

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 9:22 am
Don't expect things to "work." Appreciate the increased connection to Hashem.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 9:26 am
You just need to shift your frame of thought slightly.

Instead of being disappointed, say "Thank you Hashem for protecting DH from a job that is unsuited to him, where he would probably be miserable and never get a raise. *You've taken this one off the board, and that means we are one step closer to narrowing down the right one."

(*This works beautifully when your child gets a "no" in shidduchim, too.)

Is it just me convincing myself that things are OK, or is it really emunah? Some days I'm not sure, but I do know that every day that I practice reframing things in a positive way, is a day that brings me less stress and more happiness. When I forget and start getting depressed, I feel much farther away from Hashem.

mom of girls

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 10:34 am
Many people have seen great changes in their life when saying Nishmas for 40 consecutive days. It's a commitment to say it everyday. Not only as seeing Yeshuas but a different connection with Hashem as well.

Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 11:18 am
Thank you!

FF I appreciate the re-frame Smile

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 11:29 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
I said nishmas every day for a while and my dc got engaged!

I know a person who didn't say nishmas and their daughter got engaged....Very difficult with directly connecting any -literally any- tefila, segula, or anything else with a result, because there are tons of people who are not doing the tefilah or sefulah that are getting the very same result. If I told you that after I started putting cream cheese eating on my bagel instead of tuna, my parnassah increased. You'd say well I still use tuna and my parnassah also increased. Same thing. We need to stop trying to figure out how hashem works. I'm amazed at the examples I see here. For every person that says nishmas and sees a result, there's plenty of people saying nishmas and not seeing the result. These are facts.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 12:29 pm
I've heard of people saying Nishmas but usually it's for a bigger, solid yeshua.
I like what FF said. Since you seem to be getting Nishmas burnout, maybe some Tehillim with a personal prayer along FF's lines.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 12:35 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
I know a person who didn't say nishmas and their daughter got engaged....Very difficult with directly connecting any -literally any- tefila, segula, or anything else with a result, because there are tons of people who are not doing the tefilah or sefulah that are getting the very same result. If I told you that after I started putting cream cheese eating on my bagel instead of tuna, my parnassah increased. You'd say well I still use tuna and my parnassah also increased. Same thing. We need to stop trying to figure out how hashem works. I'm amazed at the examples I see here. For every person that says nishmas and sees a result, there's plenty of people saying nishmas and not seeing the result. These are facts.

I wish you had posted this when we were having the debate about Kimchit and her 7 kohen gadol sons.

It really bothers me when people think that they can bargain with G-d, or use Him like a vending machine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics