Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Savory Tomato Cobbler

Amarante

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 7:52 am
This was a really excellent dish for the summer and pretty easy to make since the "dough" is just dropped like one would for a fruit cobbler.

It's not served hot from the oven so you can prep at leisure. One could do the sautéing portion at any time and then just bring it to room temperature before doing the final assembly if that is more convenient. I like to do prep in advance when possible because I tend to make mistakes if I am attempting to do a lot at the same time under time pressure. Can't Believe It Can't Believe It

I did serve with some excellent butter based cookies - nothing is as delicious as cookies made with real butter. Very Happy

Savory Tomato Cobbler

Source: Editors of Southern Living Magazine. “One-Dish Wonders

The stone-ground cornmeal in the recipe adds texture to the biscuit-like crust, but you can use plain cornmeal or your favorite biscuit recipe, instead.Serves

serves 6 to 8

Excerpt From: Editors of Southern Living Magazine - One-Dish Wonders

1 medium-size sweet onion, chopped
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 large tomato, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 lb. assorted small tomatoes, divided
1 Tbsp. Champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
11/2 cups self-rising soft-wheat flour (such as White Lily)
1/2 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into 1/4-inch-thick pieces
3/4 cup (6 oz.) freshly shredded Jarlsberg cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives
11/4 cups buttermilk

1.Preheat oven to 375°. Sauté onion in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 5 to 6 minutes or until tender. Add chopped tomato, garlic, and 11/2 cups small tomatoes, and sauté 10 minutes or until tomatoes are softened. Remove from heat, and stir in vinegar and next 4 ingredients.

2.Place remaining tomatoes in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Spoon onion mixture over tomatoes, and gently toss to coat. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes.

3.Meanwhile, stir together flour and next 2 ingredients in a large bowl. Cut butter into flour with a pastry blender until mixture resembles small peas; cover and chill 10 minutes. Stir cheese and next 2 ingredients into cold flour mixture. Add buttermilk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Dollop mixture by 1/2 cupfuls onto tomato mixture. (Do not spread.)

4.Bake at 375° for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack 30 minutes before serving.

Lets_Eat_Pie

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 8:13 am
This looks delicious! Reminds me of the Smitten Kitchen corn and tomato pie, which is one of my favorite summer dishes. But this biscuit topping would be easier and I don't always have corn on hand so will try this soon.

Amarante

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 8:14 am
Lets_Eat_Pie wrote:
This looks delicious! Reminds me of the Smitten Kitchen corn and tomato pie, which is one of my favorite summer dishes. But this biscuit topping would be easier and I don't always have corn on hand so will try this soon.

I like Smitten Kitchen but if this is a "pie" with piecrust, I have problems with rolling in general and piecrust as well so I try to avoid. Very Happy

But obviously from your user name, pie isn't your bete noir. LOL LOL

Odelyah

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 8:50 am
this sounds fantastic amarante! I love how I can tell from the title of a recipe post that you were the one who posted it! Smile

a couple of questions: do you use jarlsberg or sub a different cheese? I've never seen kosher jarslberg sold where I live. Also, I don't think CY buttermilk is available, at least not around here. Is there a good sub for that?

And lastly, as far as the fresh herbs-- I don't often have those on hand (I occasionally splurge on the hechshered fresh parsley and dill that doesn't need checking when they have it, and once in a while I'll buy fresh basil and check it myself). Do you think dried would work ok in this recipe?

Amarante

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 9:00 am
Odelyah wrote:
this sounds fantastic amarante! I love how I can tell from the title of a recipe post that you were the one who posted it! Smile

a couple of questions: do you use jarlsberg or sub a different cheese? I've never seen kosher jarslberg sold where I live. Also, I don't think CY buttermilk is available, at least not around here. Is there a good sub for that?

And lastly, as far as the fresh herbs-- I don't often have those on hand (I occasionally splurge on the hechshered fresh parsley and dill that doesn't need checking when they have it, and once in a while I'll buy fresh basil and check it myself). Do you think dried would work ok in this recipe?

For me a good quality Swiss is an automatic sub for Jarlsberg but I think any similar type of cheese would work. Something that is a semi soft with a mild flavor.

I don’t think there is a substitute for fresh basil because dried is tasteless. Dried thyme would work as dried thyme generally has flavor so long as it isn’t super old. Chives are just a very mild onion flavor so using the green part of a scallion might work if you chop it finely and keep in mind that scallion is probably stronger in flavor than chives.

There are recipes for making buttermilk from cream using an acid type of liquid. You use heavy cream because buttermilk is also thicker than regular milk. Here is one example but you can google to see alternatives.

https://www.livestrong.com/art.....ream/

Odelyah

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 9:08 am
thanks so much! swiss cheese and fresh basil I can do Smile we use dried thyme very frequently so my thyme isn't old-- I'm going to read your buttermilk link-- thanks again for all the wonderful recipes and ideas! Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals