Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Names you didn’t get to use

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 4:07 pm
Did you ever get sad about names you’ll never get to use?

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 4:11 pm
Yes, very. I have one child. A miracle child. Conceived after lots of fertility issues. I had to have a hysterectomy after that child was born because of other health issues, not fertility related. I had a few names that I so very much thought I would have a chance to use, but never did.
Any time I think about it, it makes me very sad.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 4:14 pm
Thanks for answering. I feel the same about the names I won’t get to use.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 4:55 pm
I’m our family with lots of cousins and great grandchildren no one named not even a middle name for my mother in laws father

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 4:57 pm
My mom just passed away of lung cancer even thou she didn’t smoke
A new baby girl is soon to arrive but the other half of the couple says they only use one name so my mothers name won’t be used as a middle name their rule is to name after the living mother in law

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 6:10 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I’m our family with lots of cousins and great grandchildren no one named not even a middle name for my mother in laws father

We have close to 30 grandchildren and only one named after my fathers father. I know it bothers him but lots of my siblings really don’t like the name and prefer to name after my mother’s father who has a much nicer and more mainstream name. Bh I’m expecting now and if I have a boy I plan on naming after my fathers father cuz I know it’ll make him so happy and either way I can only use one of the names for my mother’s father- Iyh another child hopefully.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 6:24 pm
I can’t use my grandfather’s name due to the fact that my husband has a grandfather with the same name. I’m happy my husband’s grandfather is well, but it makes me sad.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 10:01 pm
By naming one child after rabbi, we couldn't name after 3 grandfathers. I would've loved a name after my grandfather, but at that time we felt rabbi' s name appropiate, as child was born with rabbi's bracha.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 11:54 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
By naming one child after rabbi, we couldn't name after 3 grandfathers. I would've loved a name after my grandfather, but at that time we felt rabbi' s name appropiate, as child was born with rabbi's bracha.
Thats beautiful!

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 12:12 am
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:

Who was this Rabbi if you don’t mind me asking ?

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 12:16 am
My daughter was born not too long after my mother passed away. I by mistake found out that I was having a girl and the whole time I thought that I would be naming her after my mother and I was so happy. For some reason I didn't realize that my husband had very close living relatives with both my mother's names. I was so sad that we couldn't name my daughter after my mother. Although we did come up with beautiful names for my daughter that very much remind us of my mother.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 7:51 am
Yes. My abusive parents don’t let me name what I want. To this day, I can’t call some of my kids by their names, only stupid nicknames, because I was tortured into giving the name.

rmbg

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 8:00 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
We have close to 30 grandchildren and only one named after my fathers father. I know it bothers him but lots of my siblings really don’t like the name and prefer to name after my mother’s father who has a much nicer and more mainstream name. Bh I’m expecting now and if I have a boy I plan on naming after my fathers father cuz I know it’ll make him so happy and either way I can only use one of the names for my mother’s father- Iyh another child hopefully.

Do you mean your parents have 30 grandchildren?

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 11:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Did you ever get sad about names you’ll never get to use?

No. I don't feel that the dear departed will be diminished just because I didn't recycle their names. First of all, my siblings and nieces and nephews already used some of them, and I don't really like it when first cousins have the same names. Second of all, my children will some day G-d willing have children of their own--not that I would expect or even ask them to use any particular names. I see no reason to go delving into the family history to look for names. To me it makes sense only to recycle the name of someone you knew personally or was meaningful to you for some reason, which is why I wouldn't use the names of my great-grandparents, who died probably even before my parents were born, even if I liked any of the names, which I don't.

If what you mean is that there are in general so many great names out there and you'd have to have a whole tribe to use them all, then also no. There are millions of lovely dresses I'll never wear, great recipes I'll never try, fabulous books I'll never read and stunning places I'll never go to. Why be sorry about that? I'm happy to have the opportunities I have, no need to mourn the ones I won't get around to.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 11:40 am
When I was a little girl, I named my doll Yehudis because I liked it. My great-great-uncle A"H was visiting us, and he told me if I like that name I can use it when I'm a Mommy one day, as it was the name of his wife H"YD.

As I grew up I found out that as a young man, he had married his niece (I know, not common today but acceptable then) and they had 5 children. He lost all of them in the war and was never able to have children again. I decided I would like to use that name, but for various reasons, this did not work out. We have IF and not alot of opportunities, and names DH wanted to give that took precedence, etc...

Interestingly though, my brother named my niece by Yehudis (she is called Yudit) as she was born on Chanukah. He didn't know about this relative at the time, so he didn't have her in mind, but it seems to me that Hashem orchestrated this name to continue in the family anyway.

Her name and the names of all of their children are also perpetuated in a shul in Yerushalyim - he donated funds to build in their memory.

I also will not likely get to name after my mother A"H. And since her name was not common, I'm not going to impose it on my daughters either, so probably not gonna happen.

I also have no boys, so never got to use my grandfather's name....etc....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names