Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Do you like the name ceilon?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 4:52 am
Before you give any name, please do your research and make sure that it doesn't go back to pagan goddesses.

My mother gave me the name of a pagan goddess, and I do NOT use it except for legal reasons. (I hate paperwork, and I'd have way too many documents to change, credit cards, teudah zechut, Social Security... bleh.)

Everyone who knows me, has no idea what my legal name is. It's a pretty name for a non-Jew, but it does not represent who I am as a bas Isroel.

watergirl

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 5:07 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
A Jewish child gets a Jewish name. If you chose this as her legal name, it's fine. People have all types of names as their legal name.

The name I go by is not Jewish. I have a hebrew name, I'm sure OP will also give a hebrew name. But not everyone who has a hebrew/Jewish name goes by it. And that's ok. What is NOT ok is people telling me to my face that my name is not ok. Like, I did not ask for anyone's opinion. And it happens ALL THE TIME when I meet someone for the first time. College teachers at the frum women's college I went to, someone at shul, one neighbor we are close with has family come in from out of town and always asks us to join them for a YT meal when they come and I can always count on one of her family members to educate me that my name is not acceptable.

OP, use the name you love.

Last edited by watergirl on Fri, Aug 21 2020, 5:13 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 5:10 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Before you give any name, please do your research and make sure that it doesn't go back to pagan goddesses.

My mother gave me the name of a pagan goddess, and I do NOT use it except for legal reasons. (I hate paperwork, and I'd have way too many documents to change, credit cards, teudah zechut, Social Security... bleh.)

Everyone who knows me, has no idea what my legal name is. It's a pretty name for a non-Jew, but it does not represent who I am as a bas Isroel.

Some say Esther actually comes from Ishtar, a pagan goddess...

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 5:13 am
I agree with watergirl, as long as the name is kosher.

I know a very chashuv rebbetzin who everybody knows as Rosa. Her Hebrew name is Shoshana

My friend Chana goes by Grace in the business world.

Yaccov is Jacob. Etc.

You can give names that are quite secular, but still connected to their Jewish roots. There is no shame in giving a kid a name that will make their life easier in the secular world, but like I said before, just make sure that it's still Jewish and not pagan.

Diana (Greek goddess of hunting) is a gorgeous name, but why not Devorah instead? (Yikes, I just realized that the nickname Devi is Hindu for "goddess"!)

Elfrida

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 5:24 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

Diana (Greek goddess of hunting) is a gorgeous name, but why not Devorah instead? (Yikes, I just realized that the nickname Devi is Hindu for "goddess"!)

There are only so many syllables in the world...

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 5:41 am
Elfrida wrote:
There are only so many syllables in the world...

I think that outside of Israel, when you are in a more multicultural world, it gets more complicated.

There are definitely pros and cons of having a unique (U'neeqe) name. Wink

When DD was in school, she said that there were 6 Rivkas and 4 Sarahs in her class alone, and it was really hard to keep track of who was who. The girls with more "modern Israeli" names got looked at a bit differently, as well.

yonabets

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 5:50 am
I am french I have a friend she called her daughter Celia (also a french name like Celine)
and in Hebrew she wrote צליה:The Shadow of Hashem (like בצלאל). Maybe you can do that?

farm

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 8:01 am
I’m confused. If it’s too late to change anything, why ask for opinions? And if it isn’t too late, I’m still not sure why you would pick your child’s name based on other people’s opinions. It’s your child. Name her what YOU like.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 8:44 am
Would love to hear back from OP

Bruria

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 8:46 am
Maybe you can add a second name in Hebrew besides Celine.

watergirl

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 8:46 am
farm wrote:
I’m confused. If it’s too late to change anything, why ask for opinions? And if it isn’t too late, I’m still not sure why you would pick your child’s name based on other people’s opinions. It’s your child. Name her what YOU like.

I think OP meant they already decided this would be the name once the baby is born. Not that the baby is born and already named this.

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 8:50 am
Celine or Ceylon?

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 8:51 am
watergirl wrote:
The name I go by is not Jewish. I have a hebrew name, I'm sure OP will also give a hebrew name. But not everyone who has a hebrew/Jewish name goes by it. And that's ok. What is NOT ok is people telling me to my face that my name is not ok. Like, I did not ask for anyone's opinion. And it happens ALL THE TIME when I meet someone for the first time. College teachers at the frum women's college I went to, someone at shul, one neighbor we are close with has family come in from out of town and always asks us to join them for a YT meal when they come and I can always count on one of her family members to educate me that my name is not acceptable.

OP, use the name you love.

Of course she can use this name if she likes it. But the child should also be given a Hebrew name.
Many people go by their legal names, but a Jewish child should get a Hebrew name.
It also depends on the community they live in. If no one calls their kids by their legal name, it's weird and unfair to call a child Celine. Imagine a Celine in a school full of Rivka, Sara, Shira, Yocheved...... that's not a fair thing to do to a child.
I also don't think a Jewish kid should be given a name inspired by a non jewish singer.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 8:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Like the singer Celion Dian
From the song titanic please be nice we already picked it

Sounds like Sea-Lion 🦁

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 9:20 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Sounds like Sea-Lion 🦁

I was also thinking Sea Lion when I saw the spelling.
OP, it is a fine name, but if you are going to use it, please use the traditional spelling.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 9:28 am
Not to mention that it’s spelled differently in the thread title and the OP

bigsis144

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 9:36 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Celine or Ceylon?

That’s what I thought when I I saw the thread title - “isn’t Ceylon the old colonial name for Sri Lanka?”

Like Ceylon cinnamon.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 9:46 am
The title says ceilon - that would be pronounced like cyclone without the second c- cei-Lon

watergirl

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 9:50 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
Of course she can use this name if she likes it. But the child should also be given a Hebrew name.
Many people go by their legal names, but a Jewish child should get a Hebrew name.
It also depends on the community they live in. If no one calls their kids by their legal name, it's weird and unfair to call a child Celine. Imagine a Celine in a school full of Rivka, Sara, Shira, Yocheved...... that's not a fair thing to do to a child.
I also don't think a Jewish kid should be given a name inspired by a non jewish singer.

Where and what did OP say that makes you think for a second she is not giving a Jewish name? You can think my mother was weird. I don't care. She loved it.

Last edited by watergirl on Fri, Aug 21 2020, 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 9:57 am
We give English names as family minhag (yekke)
We were advised that there is a book of English names in Hebrew and we should only pick names from that Seder.
That it is important to have a proper Hebrew spelling for English names as well
(Emma was in the book, Ella wasn’t. Our rav advised against Ella)
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names