Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Whats your opinion? What's the right thing do do?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Mommyg8

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 2:30 pm
flowerpower wrote:
The $2500.

Yes.

My mother always used to say

אז מען קןיפט טייער איז עס ביליג און אז מען קויפט ביליג איז עס טייער.

(When you buy cheap it's expensive and when you spend money on better quality it comes out cheaper.)

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 3:22 pm
Thanks for all the responses, it's helpful. I will make my decision according to the responses.

amother
White

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 3:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for all the responses, it's helpful. I will make my decision according to the responses.

I hope you're happy with whatever you buy. I don't know why so many people had to explain you can eat inside when it's raining. You clearly said your dh wanted to buy something to cover the sukkah, for sure he already knows it's not required. We always have our sukkah covered. It rains a lot where we live. We can eat inside when it rains but the worst is when it pours and then stops just before time for kiddush. If there's no sukkah covering, you end up eating in a dripping wet sukkah. The schach drips rainwater onto the table. The plastic decorations drip all over. I try to wipe down the table and chairs but it's hard to do a good job with that if it's shabbos. Much better to have the sukkah covered.

crust

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 3:50 pm

There are different rules for the not-handy population. Smile
Talking from experience, the aggravation of setting an awning up by yourself is not worth a saving of 1000 dollars.

And its not like one option is 75 dollars and the other one is 2500.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 4:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Question: We just moved and need an awning/shlok for Sukkahs.
My DH is not handy in making one on his own, We're struggling financially. Should we get a simple leiters sukkah shlok for $1500 that we need to assemble and disassemble before/after yom tov?
Or should we get a Costum awning for $2500 to last for the year?

If you had the money, I'd recommend an awning that you could continue to use and enjoy thoughout the year.

But if you're struggling financially, I'd live without for this year, and get the one you can enjoy year round next year.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 4:12 pm
I'm embarrassed to ask this but what's a shlock? Could it be no one in my community has one? Or maybe they do I just never noticed it/knew what it was...

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 4:15 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
I'm embarrassed to ask this but what's a shlock? Could it be no one in my community has one? Or maybe they do I just never noticed it/knew what it was...

It's the Yiddish word for the tarp (usually blue) that's used to cover the sukkah when it's raining.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 4:19 pm
I think everyone agrees that the 1,500 option is a waste of money for you.
The question is about getting the 2,500 awning now or going bare for one succos and then purchasing next year when you have the money.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 5:15 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
It's the Yiddish word for the tarp (usually blue) that's used to cover the sukkah when it's raining.

Never heard of it either. I also don’t think I know anyone who has it. When it rains we go inside.

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 5:48 pm
If I was struggling financially, I would eat in shul succa of look to get invited out

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 5:52 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:

Oh cool! My parents and relatives don't have that and I never noticed it on others' but it could be they have one and I just don't know. Thanks!

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 6:00 pm
So curious because I've never seen this- how is it set up? It's attached to your house? You raise it and lower it over your sukkah on Yom tov when it rains?
This is a standard thing?
I live in New York and I have no clue what you are talking about

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 6:37 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
So curious because I've never seen this- how is it set up? It's attached to your house? You raise it and lower it over your sukkah on Yom tov when it rains?
This is a standard thing?
I live in New York and I have no clue what you are talking about

My in laws in London have this but that’s London (where it’s constant rain) and they are wealthy

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Aug 22 2020, 2:14 pm
I made Aliyah from Seattle, where it rains so hard that sometimes the storms send the succot flying down the street! Surprised

I've never seen a blue tarp on the roofs of any of them. The men would go out and make kiddush in the rain. The rest of us would say "amen" from the doorway, and then we'd all go inside to eat.

As far as OP's husband struggling to put up the sukkah, there are yeshiva bochurim who assemble succot for a very reasonable fee. They get to work hard, and DH doesn't risk throwing his back out or falling off of a ladder (CVS).

amother
Peach

Post Sat, Aug 22 2020, 3:15 pm
It's amazing what becomes a necessity. This is optional. If you want it and can afford it, fine. I've lived in wealthy, rainy communities where no one had them.

And then people complain about how expensive frum life is...

DrMom

Post Sat, Aug 22 2020, 3:22 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:

LOL. I assume in a generation or two *blue* will become a specified requirement for this tarp thing.

I can't understand why someone who is struggling financially would pay so much for something which is not at all required.

If it rains, eat indoors.

moonstone

Post Sat, Aug 22 2020, 3:51 pm
DrMom wrote:
LOL. I assume in a generation or two *blue* will become a specified requirement for this tarp thing.

I can't understand why someone who is struggling financially would pay so much for something which is not at all required.

If it rains, eat indoors.

Right. I've never heard of putting a tarp over a sukkah, and I would never pay such a ridiculous amount of money for one, especially if I was struggling financially. Is this a Brooklyn thing?

doodlesmom

Post Sat, Aug 22 2020, 10:45 pm
For people who sleep in their sukka a rain cover is very important. Otherwise when it starts to rain in the middle of the night, which is quiet often in NY, they need to shlep all the linens and mattresses all the way indoors and then back for when it stops (let’s not talk about putting all that on wet floors) this can go on 2-3 times a night....

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 22 2020, 11:07 pm
For those who say they never saw an awning, what do people use to cover a porch or eating area in your backyard during the summer? I'm sure you too use a large canopy to cover from rain or sunshine? For sukkas, we use it so that it shouldn't pour into while we eat, sleep and ruin all decorations.

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Aug 22 2020, 11:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
For those who say they never saw an awning, what do people use to cover a porch or eating area in your backyard during the summer? I'm sure you too use a large canopy to cover from rain or sunshine? For sukkas, we use it so that it shouldn't pour into while we eat, sleep and ruin all decorations.

Nope. If it’s too sunny, we eat inside.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics