Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Glass or crytal Becher
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 12:20 pm
DH got a silver becher as a chosson. It got bent out of shape, tarnished on the inside cracks then got silver polish crusted into those same cracks. I took it someplace professional to have them fix it and then see if they can insert a smooth material to avoid all the inner cracks and they said it couldn't be done.

All silver bechers have the same issue- any design on the outside makes it hard to clean on the inside.

I want to buy him a nice appropriate replacement, this time I'm going modern lol so crystal or glss, something he'll appreciate and use. Any links?

nchr

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 12:30 pm
I've never had an issue cleaning a silver becher. I think you may want to ask a silver store what can be done. With crystal you can have any design etched in and it can be custom made...

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 12:36 pm
Maybe it was silver plated?
Regular silver just needs a little polishing to look nice.
Silver is the way to go for a becher...

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 12:40 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Maybe it was silver plated?
Regular silver just needs a little polishing to look nice.
Silver is the way to go for a becher...

No I bought it, it was solid silver and very expensive.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 1:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No I bought it, it was solid silver and very expensive.

You can get it cleaned professionally and then lacquer it. (It’s an invisible protective layer that prevents it from tarnishing so u don’t need to polish it anymore and it stays gorgeous).

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 1:11 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
You can get it cleaned professionally and then lacquer it. (It’s an invisible protective layer that prevents it from tarnishing so u don’t need to polish it anymore and it stays gorgeous).

Why didn't the silver store suggest this?

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 1:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Why didn't the silver store suggest this?

It’s not cheap but if you’re only doing it for one Becher it’s not that costly either.
I don’t know if every store offers this service.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 4:05 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
It’s not cheap but if you’re only doing it for one Becher it’s not that costly either.
I don’t know if every store offers this service.

Can you or someone else recommend a store in monsey?

amother
Violet

Post Sat, Aug 22 2020, 7:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can you or someone else recommend a store in monsey?

My friend had it done in a silver store in Brooklyn, I’m not sure where.

amother
Silver

Post Sat, Aug 22 2020, 8:01 pm
I bought dh a beautiful glass becher that has a silver lace like wrap around it. He enjoys drinking wine out of glass, I feel like it is cleaner, and the silver around it makes it festive for shabbos. All around win!

Ask for it in silver stores. They sell them.

DrMom

Post Sat, Aug 22 2020, 8:12 pm
What do you mean when you say it developed "cracks" on the inside?

I never heard if this happening with silver.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sat, Aug 22 2020, 8:58 pm
I hate drinking from a silver becher. It always has a terrible metallic taste.
Find something pretty and that you find to look shabbosdic. Does it really matter if it is glass or crystal? If it was gift it might need a quality and price point. But for your home, get whatever you like.

amother
Copper

Post Sat, Aug 22 2020, 9:35 pm
People who really know their wines would never drink out of silver.
People who value a certain look would never drink out of glass.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Aug 22 2020, 9:41 pm
I'm not sure what happened with your first becher as I've never seen cracks before like you describe. Make sure to have any new bechers lacquered before you leave the store and you shouldn't have a problem with polishing.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 22 2020, 9:50 pm
DrMom wrote:
What do you mean when you say it developed "cracks" on the inside?

I never heard if this happening with silver.

It didn't develop cracks. When silver has a design on the outside, the inside has all these cracks and crevices, the opposite of hte outer design. Inside these little niches got tarnished, dirty, full of dried up silver polish.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 22 2020, 9:51 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
I bought dh a beautiful glass becher that has a silver lace like wrap around it. He enjoys drinking wine out of glass, I feel like it is cleaner, and the silver around it makes it festive for shabbos. All around win!

Ask for it in silver stores. They sell them.

Glass breaks easily so I'm not sure I'd invest in anything expensive. I want something nice but doesn't have to be costly, unless of course it's worth more.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Aug 22 2020, 9:58 pm
The bechers that we have are smooth on the inside. The designs are raised and on the outside only. In any case, it seems the silver polish is an issue for you, so get a new one with a smooth interior and have it laquered so you don't have to polish.

Last edited by ra_mom on Sat, Aug 22 2020, 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 22 2020, 10:01 pm
ra_mom wrote:
The bechers that we have are smooth on the inside. The designs are raised and on the outside only. In any case, it seems the silver polish is an issue for you, so getnit laquered so you don't have to polish.

I've never seen a silver becher like that but I wanted the store to do it for me, sort of fill in the shape on the inside. they said it's not possible

DrMom

Post Sat, Aug 22 2020, 10:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It didn't develop cracks. When silver has a design on the outside, the inside has all these cracks and crevices, the opposite of hte outer design. Inside these little niches got tarnished, dirty, full of dried up silver polish.

I see.

So maybe have the silversmith clean it out for you and then either switch to liquid silver polish or have it lacquered as others have suggested.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 22 2020, 10:27 pm
DrMom wrote:
I see.

So maybe have the silversmith clean it out for you and then either switch to liquid silver polish or have it lacquered as others have suggested.

It happened from liquid silver polish , that's the only kind I use.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics