Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Glass or crytal Becher
Previous  1  2

Odelyah

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 1:32 am
wow I didn't even know you could laquer bechers-- we did that for our son's kallah's leichter but I didn't know it was a food safe material-- never heard of doing it with bechers. our becher is also sterling but it is smooth on the inside-- the design is only on the outside. it is also not so hard to polish (even though it doesn't happen every week and sometimes gets tarnished) it comes out looking nice and shiny BH.

Odelyah

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 1:36 am
I just saw you prefer glass or crystal so obviously you should get what you (and your husband) likes and you can afford, but if it were me I would be concerned about it breaking. We have the same silver becher we got for a wedding gift 27 years ago (the tray got lost (or stolen) though Sad)

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 3:18 am
You can't use the laquor on a cup. It's considered unsafe to drink from it afterwards. Something about chemicals.

I had my candlesticks laquored and tried to also do my husband's bechor and thats what the silver store said.

We use a plastic insert in our bechor to avoid the metallic taste.

Odelyah

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 3:21 am
that's what I thought too--I'm wondering if the people who say they lacquer only do it on the outside? which wouldn't help OP because her issue is more the inside.

DrMom

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 4:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It happened from liquid silver polish , that's the only kind I use.

Don't you wash it after polishing it? I never had residual silver polish crusted in the crevices of our bechers.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 7:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Glass breaks easily so I'm not sure I'd invest in anything expensive. I want something nice but doesn't have to be costly, unless of course it's worth more.

I have mine for a while and it hasn't broken. Also, the inserts can be replaced easily if you are worried. You can order extra inserts right way.

These types of bechers a kind of a "thing " in my family as we are wine snobs, and I've never heard of anyone's breaking. My dad inherited one from his father and the insert was missing. He was easily able to fit a standard glass inside.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 8:12 am
Can you soak it in hot water and soap to remove the polish? Then run it in a high quality dishwasher.
It doesn’t sound like you should polish the inside of your becher...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 10:58 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
You can't use the laquor on a cup. It's considered unsafe to drink from it afterwards. Something about chemicals.

I had my candlesticks laquored and tried to also do my husband's bechor and thats what the silver store said.

We use a plastic insert in our bechor to avoid the metallic taste.

I'd love to get something like that but how?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 11:00 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Can you soak it in hot water and soap to remove the polish? Then run it in a high quality dishwasher.
It doesn’t sound like you should polish the inside of your becher...

I know. the cleaning lady did it the first time. Also trying to get it clean from sitting grape juice that wasn't rinsed right away was never very successful either.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 11:01 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know. the cleaning lady did it the first time. Also trying to get it clean from sitting grape juice that wasn't rinsed right away was never very successful either.

Use a new toothbrush with boiling hot water and brand name dish soap.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics