Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Chicken and? Oven dinners frozen in advance

abmom

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 12:47 am
I'm taking a short term high stress job, and would like to fill up my freezer with a few weeks worth of full suppers that I can take out in the morning and pop in the oven on delay start.
Any ideas of sides that freeze well?
I'd appreciate some meat options as well for a change from chicken. I want variety.
Thanks all!!

pause

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 12:59 am
I do in one pan
chicken and rice and a package of frozen vegetables
chicken and quinoa and sliced carrots
chicken lo mein (nuggets, pasta, broccoli and three colors pepppers with a sauce)

These can be frozen raw already prepared or partially baked.

Last edited by pause on Sun, Aug 23 2020, 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 12:59 am
I season and freeze raw. Then pop frozen into the oven in the morning. Set to delay bake. And it cooks fresh while I'm out. Is that an option for you?

abmom

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 1:02 am
ra_mom wrote:
I season and freeze raw. Then pop frozen into the oven in the morning. Set to delay bake. And it cooks fresh while I'm out. Is that an option for you?

Yes. I prefer freezing raw!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 1:11 am
Season and freeze chicken legs. If you have room, freze them right in a 9x13. If you're tight on space, lay them out on in a ziploc bag the way they would fit into a 9x13, and freeze flat (you can stack a lot that way). Remove from ziploc and pop into a 9x13. Set to bake.

Measure out rice and spices in a ziploc bag. Store. Morning of, pour into a pan and add water. Cover and set to bake.

Or scrub some potatoes, rub with oil and lay into a pan to bake alongside the chicken.

Stuffed peppers and a pan of rice baked side by side.

Lasagna layered and ready to bake.

Beef stew in the crockpot.

Meatballs in a slow cooker too. (Cook spaghetti on Sunday; rinse, drain, toss with oil. Seal in a ziploc with all air squeezed out).

abmom

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 1:16 am
I don't have a crockpot or slow cooker.
Can I freeze potatoes?
I like the measured seasoned rice in a bag idea!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 1:18 am
Don't freeze the potatoes. Scrub them when you get home from the supermarket and then refrigerate. Piece with a fork and rub with oil as you lay them into the pan in the morn.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 1:22 am
abmom wrote:
I don't have a crockpot or slow cooker.
Can I freeze potatoes?
I like the measured seasoned rice in a bag idea!

Beef stew can be made in the oven. Toss the beef cubes with flour and salt before freezing. Add fresh baby potatoes and baby carrots in the morning so you don't have to peel or chop vegetables. Assemble in a 9x13 pan and add water.
Meatballs shape and freeze in a pan. Add sauce morning of.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 1:28 am
How does this work exactly, from the point of view of food safety? They say you should never defrost at room temperature. If you put something in the oven at 8 AM on delayed start, so that it starts cooking at 4 PM, for example, isn't the food defrosting at room temperature for 8 hours? How can that be safe?

Even though I'm working from home these days, I'm busier than ever, so I would love to be able to put things into the oven before my workday starts, and set it and forget it. I just don't want us to get sick!

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 4:34 am
Bump, because I'd love the answer to this food safety question! TIA!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 8:05 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
How does this work exactly, from the point of view of food safety? They say you should never defrost at room temperature. If you put something in the oven at 8 AM on delayed start, so that it starts cooking at 4 PM, for example, isn't the food defrosting at room temperature for 8 hours? How can that be safe?

Even though I'm working from home these days, I'm busier than ever, so I would love to be able to put things into the oven before my workday starts, and set it and forget it. I just don't want us to get sick!

I know what's said about defrosting at room temperature. This is what I do. I'm not advocating either way. My mom always did so anyway as long as the food stayed very cold and never got to room temp. I've tested it on days when I have been home. (Defrosting in the fridge takes 2 days here). It works very nicely.
I don't do this for boneless chicken because that defrosts too quickly. For boneless, I delay start the oven so that it's preheated before I get home. And then pop the bake chicken in the oven for the 20-25 minutes that boneless needs.

Fave

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 9:01 am
I’m looking for make ahead suppers using boneless chicken tops (cutlets).

Would it be too dry for the oven?

My kids don’t like chicken bottoms....

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 9:48 am
Fave wrote:
I’m looking for make ahead suppers using boneless chicken tops (cutlets).

Would it be too dry for the oven?

My kids don’t like chicken bottoms....

It needs 25 minutes uncovered at 425 degrees.

Fave

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 10:22 am
ra_mom wrote:
It needs 25 minutes uncovered at 425 degrees.

Thanks have you done it together with rice, or the rice would be undercook? What sauce?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 11:06 am
Fave wrote:
Thanks have you done it together with rice, or the rice would be undercook? What sauce?

You can bake it covered with rice underneath for about an hour and 10 minutes. Use your favorite sauce or spices. Maybe honey BBQ on the chicken and just (enough) salt in the rice.

Fave

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 11:33 am
ra_mom wrote:
You can bake it covered with rice underneath for about an hour and 10 minutes. Use your favorite sauce or spices. Maybe honey BBQ on the chicken and just (enough) salt in the rice.

Thanks - I’ll try it tomorrow!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey