Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Coconut Sugar Yerushalmi Kugel

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 8:56 pm
Does anyone have any experience with making yerushalmi kugel with coconut sugar? How does it compare to the regular recipe in taste and prep?
I never made a yerushalmi kugel so all tips are welcome. If anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it!

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 9:40 am
Bump

EsG

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 10:27 am
I do not know what recipe you are using but if it has a lot of sugar I would not substitute. Coconut sugar is great in small amounts in coffee or a salad dressing but I would not use it in large amounts. It has a grittiness that would probably not taste good in a very sugary recipe.

Also, for something like luscious yerushalmi kugel I would make it the real way to make sure it stays delicious!

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 10:50 am
I'm craving Yerushalmi kugel and I'm only allowed to have coconut sugar this is not by choice. I find that cakes I make with it turn out just fine. I saw a recipe that called for brown sugar and there wasn't any caramelizing in that recipe. I'm not sure how I should make it. Traditional steps of caramelizing sugar or just make this easy version instead.

Has anyone ever used the brown sugar method for yerushalmi kugel?

EsG

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 11:17 am
I would imagine you can sub coconut sugar for brown sugar. If I were you I would try a small recipe that calls for brown sugar to experiment.

centurion

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 3:31 pm
Caramelizing might work in your favor because it would smooth out the texture.

raich

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 6:20 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
I'm craving Yerushalmi kugel and I'm only allowed to have coconut sugar this is not by choice. I find that cakes I make with it turn out just fine. I saw a recipe that called for brown sugar and there wasn't any caramelizing in that recipe. I'm not sure how I should make it. Traditional steps of caramelizing sugar or just make this easy version instead.

Has anyone ever used the brown sugar method for yerushalmi kugel?

Yes, I have a fantastic recipe for mock Yerushalmi kugel that uses brown sugar. But it also has a lot of white sugar...so I'm not sure you can sub it all out for coconut sugar...

Let me know if you want the recipe.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 9:31 pm
raich wrote:
Yes, I have a fantastic recipe for mock Yerushalmi kugel that uses brown sugar. But it also has a lot of white sugar...so I'm not sure you can sub it all out for coconut sugar...

Let me know if you want the recipe.

Please

raich

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 10:32 am
Mock Yerushalmi Kugel:

4 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup oil
1 cup sugar
heaping teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tsp salt

boil all those together, then turn off the fire and add a package of fine or extra fine egg noodles, and stir. cover pot and let sit there for about 12 minutes.

After that, in a separate bowl mix together:
2 eggs
4 Tbsp dark brown sugar

and add that to the pot of noodles. pour into a few small pans or one bundt pan, and bake at 350 til it's crispy and firm when you touch it. The full recipe is around 1.5 hours but smaller pans might be less time.

Good luck trying to adapt this recipe! Let us know if it comes out good and what you did.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes