Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
BEITAR ILLIT ANY IMAS?

ichbingreit

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 8:15 am
We recently moved to beitar illit b and really love our appartment and the beautiful little town. The only problem is that I dont really speak hebrew yet ( trying and breaking my teeth) and its so hard to get to know people !

I am an easygoing outgoing person by nature and I easily start talking to people in the park or grocery but somehow nobody seems to be so interested....

I understand that people have their families and schedules and probably I shouldnt take it personally.

But id just love to make some friends for playdates, shabbos afternoons, meals etc.

Im normal I promise! and have the cutest little 2 year old boychik

any beitar imas here??

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 8:31 am
I have very good friends who moved there from America, and they found it extremely hard to break into the social circles. My friends are the most wonderful, fun, outgoing people you'll ever met, and their kids are all fantastic.

People there are extremely reserved. It's going to take a long time for them to warm up to you. Don't take it personally, it's just the nature of the community.

Keep in mind that everyone is SUPER conservative and conformist there. If you don't fit in in any way, you'll be waiting longer to make friends. Watch closely. Wear what they wear, from head to toe. No colors that you don't see on the street. People are super sensitive to things like that. If wearing purple isn't done, then don't do it.

My friend's husband's rosh yeshiva told them that if she wanted to fit in, she had to get rid of her red sheitel and go brown, even though she is a natural redhead. She changed sheitels, and it did actually help. Go figure.

Personally, I would go insane in a community like that, but other people find the conformity to be comforting. I hope you enjoy your new place, and make lots of friends soon.

ichbingreit

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 9:05 am
thanks!
happens to be my block is a big mix and I find beitar in general to be. all different people within charedi mainstream israeli society.
Even though I didnt grow up frum and like being an individual, both my husband and me have no problem conforming( on the outside at least) and fitting in.
We lived in Boro park for a few years so that took care of that...
I walk the walk and talk the talk. Have my son in a super chassidish cheder and speak yiddish etc....
just find the people here to be much more closed and not of the warm open hungarian mentality that I got to know and love in BP....

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 9:08 am
If you ever meet Rabbi Goldman and his wife Sarah Pesha, let me know. They are the BEST!

I can't get you in contact with them, because I don't feel right giving out their phone number, and they don't have internet.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 10:43 am
My bro and SIL live there. They’re NOT conformers at all! I know a few other people there as well. How is it when you go to the parks? Listen out for some English and go say hi maybe. Good luck! Beitar is really nice!

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 11:41 am
Ff, Wow, just wow. What a blanket statement of an entire CITY without any first hand experience!
I live in beitar and as op said there are many different types of ppl.

Op, I don't live in b, but I know there's a nshei in b and I think they have a welcoming committee. There's email lists and WhatsApp groups as well.
I'm sorry you're not feeling welcomed, and hope you get more involved quickly.
Hatzlacha and welcome!

2gether

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 2:38 am
pm me
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions