Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Gemachs
Gemachim
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 8:06 pm
I would like to start a Gemach in my city and I really can't think of anything to do...

I want to do it just bc I need the extra Zechuyos!

mummy-bh

Post Fri, Feb 15 2008, 2:22 am
Where are you?

In my city there are numerous gemachim. 126 listed

Preemie baby clothing
maternity clothing
hot plates
chickpeas for sholom zochar
Asher Yotzar laminated poster gemach
Baby Equipment gemach
Baby link gemach
Basket and Polystyrene gemach
Baysitters Gemach
Bencher gemach
Bnos Aguda fancy dress clothes
Bridesmaids dress gemach
5 x Bris gemachim (!)
Candle holder gemach
Challah dekels gemach
Dryer gemach

I could go on and on!! If u need more ideas, contact me

amother

Post Fri, Feb 15 2008, 2:43 am
I have a gemach for Medela pumps, and it is very popular. I charge a small fee and from that buy more pumps. If you want more info about setting up a gemach let me know.

Imaonwheels

Post Fri, Feb 15 2008, 3:00 am
Diaper gemach - for people who run out on Shabbos and such
Medicines like suppositories for babies and children's' syrup paracetmol, also nursing pads
Bassinets fort sm babies up to 3 mos. Often borrowed when a toddler is still in the large crib. Ditto porta cribs for traveling, car seats for people w/o cars to bring baby home, etc.

I need cots and hi chairs for my gc visits. I am planning on getting several of each and lending them as a gemach when we don't have little visitors.

Maybe I will tell dd to make a premie gemach, she has both for boys and girls and a premie stretchie costs a fortune here.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 15 2008, 3:06 am
gown gemach
costume jewellery gemach
sheitel gemach
centerpiece gemach
free library
torah/music tape gemach

ClaRivka

Post Fri, Feb 15 2008, 4:59 am
I'm OP. Ima- I like the diaper gemach idea.
If I wanted to do t hat how would I get started, Amother?

amother

Post Fri, Feb 15 2008, 5:03 am
Gemach for Medala Breast Pumps. Which city are you?

amother

Post Fri, Feb 15 2008, 5:51 am
amother wrote:

If you post under your name, I'll pm you.

Imaonwheels

Post Fri, Feb 15 2008, 6:35 am
RivkiA wrote:

You buy like 2-3 packs each size. If someone runs out when stores are closed or Shabbos and YT then they come to you and take the whole pack. They must return a pack of the same size as soon as possible. This gemach is especially appreciated when a baby comes down with the runs because you can chew diapers up faster than you planned.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 15 2008, 6:40 am
amother wrote:

If you post under your name, I'll pm you.

OK thanks. I really dont need everyone to know that I need a breast pump. I will check my local weekly paper to see if there is anything listed there.

ClaRivka

Post Fri, Feb 15 2008, 1:19 pm
Imaonwheels wrote:
RivkiA wrote:

You buy like 2-3 packs each size. If someone runs out when stores are closed or Shabbos and YT then they come to you and take the whole pack. They must return a pack of the same size as soon as possible. This gemach is especially appreciated when a baby comes down with the runs because you can chew diapers up faster than you planned.

Would I have to buy different brands cuz some babies are allergic/sensitive....

shalhevet

Post Sat, Feb 16 2008, 10:39 am
Shalhevet's tips for running a gemach (these were given to me by people with experience, and after experience too, I can tell you you can close a gemach if you don't keep to them):

1. Always take a cheque as deposit. Even from your best friend, next door neighbour or sister's MIL. No exceptions. The cheque should be undated, so that you can always deposit it if you need to. People who say they don't have cheques either have to leave the same amount of money, or find someone willing to leave their cheque.

2. If you lend on Shabbos, take something of some value as collateral until they bring a cheque Motzai Shabbos.

3. Charge something. This does three things: first people don't take stam; second, people don't keep the item longer than they need it (if you charge by the day/ week/ month etc depending on what it is); third, you have money to replace/ repair/ buy new stock for the gemach. You need to find an amount that is small (so that people in need can use it) but large enough that people don't think it's nothing. (In Israel it might be 5-20 shekels depending on what the item is).

4. Make hours for the gemach and stick to them. This teaches people to respect you, and that way they will respect what you are doing and look after the things you lend out. Of course, this is not appropriate for emergency items like pacifiers, diapers, medicines etc. But it is for items like folding beds, tables, clothes etc.

5. Have a form with the rules of the gemach that people have to sign, with their name, address etc. Write on the form anything missing, damaged etc on the item. That way when someone returns the item it is clear if they lost/ damaged something or they got it like that. Keep a copy in a file.
When someone returns an item, don't let them send it with someone else. They need to return it properly. Check it is all intact, and take the payment. Mark down in your list/ file that they returned it. Return the cheque. Don't let people ring the bell and throw a bag with what they're returning five minutes before Shabbos.

Imaonwheels

Post Sat, Feb 16 2008, 9:16 pm
RivkiA wrote:
Imaonwheels wrote:
RivkiA wrote:

Would I have to buy different brands cuz some babies are allergic/sensitive....

I wouldn't worry about that unless my community had a wealh of these. Simply, people with allergies are usually prepared. If you know a mid priced brand that is hypoallergenic go with them l'chatchila. Also you have to decide whether you will insist on getting back the brand you give out. Some people use elcheapo and will resent having to buy an expensive brand. I suggest going with a brand that is not too expensive but adequate in a pinch. Once here someone replaced their borrowed pack with the uber expensive brand they normally use. Not necessary but she insisted. The next person lucked out.

You will get a feel for your own community how much stock you have to keep on hand.

Crayon210

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 2:53 pm
You also might want to keep in mind that some people only use certain diapers (the 'velcro' tabs-Huggies makes them that way) on Shabbos.

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 2:55 pm
Are there any diapers these days that don't use velcro? Of all the brands I've tried, they all have velcro.

Atali

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 2:58 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
Are there any diapers these days that don't use velcro? Of all the brands I've tried, they all have velcro.

I think that Pampers uses sticky stuff, not velcro

amother

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 3:13 pm
I have a gemach for diapers for multiples. every month, the family can pick up case if they have twins, triplets. ect. this might be a good idea as lots of multiples are being born, and diapers are very expensive.

funny50

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 4:57 pm
[quote]I have a gemach for diapers for multiples. every month, the family can pick up case if they have twins, triplets. ect. this might be a good idea as lots of multiples are being born, and diapers are very expensive.
are you in bp? I know someone who just had triplets.[/quote]

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 6:01 pm
A box gemach for moving is good. A chair gemach with folding chairs is also appreciated.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 6:38 pm
we are in flatbush. some has to come pick them montlh;y
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics