Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Ramat Beit Shemesh and Yerushalayim
1  2  Next

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 3:48 pm
It's probably still a long way off, but we're gathering information!! I'm posting under my screen name because maybe there will be someone on here who knows enough about me from prior posts who can help guide me further. :-)

Our basic stats:

- Yeshivish/Chofetz Chaim hashkafa (I think things are categorized differently in Israel, which is fine, this is just to give a snapshot of where we're holding in general)

- Family of 5 (kids ages 5, 3, 3). We will need special ed services, very likely a special ed school for one of our children, probably with additional ongoing disability services. No need to live next-door to a hospital, but we also shouldn't be hours away.

- We plan to learn Hebrew and integrate into Israeli society, however it would be more more comfortable for us to have a group of fellow English-speakers in our immediate community as well.

- I like to think I'm spiritually attuned, but I still really want a nice place to call home. Doesn't need to be fancy, but I do want it to be a good size, light and airy, in decent condition. We hope to purchase.

- Our top 2 areas of interest are Jerusalem and Ramat Beit Shemesh.

Questions:

1. Which communities in Jerusalem do you recommend?
2. Which communities in Ramat Beit Shemesh do you recommend? Is there anywhere I could get a rundown of the neighborhoods? How many new neighborhoods are being built at the moment? Also, how far apart are the neighborhoods from each other?
3. What's the difference between Beit Shemesh and RBS?

Please tell me a little about each neighborhood, and where I can find more information about housing prices, etc.? I'm especially interested in what the "tone" of the community is like. For example, is it quiet and peaceful, or loud with a lot of chaos? What unspoken expectations are there? Safety issues? Things newcomers should know about that they wouldn't necessarily think to ask?

Sorry if this is a lot to ask, I'm trying to learn as much as I can so that when the time comes we're ready.

Thank you!

Edited to clarify RAMAT Beit Shemesh :-)

Edited again to delete my silly question about RBS bet, which DOES exist despite my inability to find it on a website I searched! Also adding a question about the difference between RBS and Beit Shemesh.

Last edited by Kiwi13 on Wed, Aug 26 2020, 4:06 pm; edited 2 times in total

Simcha36

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 3:56 pm
Hi, and welcome! I think starting point would be where are there services that are easy to navigate, less red tape for special ed - will allow those with exprience to respond. finding a comminty with your background would be easier once you found about services. where are you coming from ? KGH?

Last edited by Simcha36 on Wed, Aug 26 2020, 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 3:58 pm
In terms of ramat beit shmesh there is aleph, bet and gimmel and I believe there is a gimmel 2 as well. And there are other neighborhoods within those a,b,c areas.
RBS is different than BS. RBS is huge. We lived there 15 years ago when there was aleph and bet and it wasnt built up as much as now. The neighborhoods are all technically in walking distance, but I would think that most or many families have at least one car. There are also buses that go through the different areas as well.
Look on the nefesh bnefesh website at the community section. It will give you a slight idea. And hopefully the women who live in these areas, that are on this site, will give you some answers as well.

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 4:02 pm
Thanks Shabbatiscoming, I'm editing my OP to say Ramat Beit Shemesh, which is what I meant, not realizing that Beit Shemesh is a separate place and not just the whole of all the neighborhoods. :-)

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 4:04 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
Thanks Shabbatiscoming, I'm editing my OP to say Ramat Beit Shemesh, which is what I meant, not realizing that Beit Shemesh is a separate place and not just the whole of all the neighborhoods. :-)
Smile
And to realize that there IS a rbs bet Wink

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 4:04 pm
Simcha36 wrote:
Hi, and welcome! I think starting point would be where are there services that are easy to navigate, less red tape for special ed - will allow those with exprience to respond. finding a comminty with your background would be easier ocen you found about services. where are you coming from ? KGH?

Coming from Rochester, NY. Right now my son receives OT, PT, speech, special ed, respite (I'm not counting on getting that in Israel though), and he's enrolled in a special ed/integrated preschool.

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 4:05 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Smile
And to realize that there IS a rbs bet Wink

Gotcha, yes lol. Edit #2 coming up!

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 4:15 pm
Hey! I dont live in Israel but I have a sister moving to rbs gimmel. Its still American and yeshivish but its very young families. Your kids ages. And cheaper than aleph. She's been living in Israel for 5 years and she felt aleph is too American for her.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 4:28 pm
I heard the Gush has excellent special ed programs in their schools. Plus, many anglos.

Success10

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 4:33 pm
Ok, RBS Bet is predominantly chassidish, like second-generation Meah Shearim Chassidish. So let's put that option on the side for now.

Starting with Jerusalem. Jerusalem has (I've heard) the best services for special needs children, but it's prohibitively expensive in most parts. Areas that are Anglo and open-minded Yeshivish are Har Nof, Ramat Eshkol and Rechavia (that I can think of off the top of my head). These are expensive areas and you could do much better for your money if you leave Jerusalem.

The most natural choice outside of Jerusalem is RBS A. It's very, very Anglo, but religiously there is a mix, and Chofetz Chaim Yeshivish could fit in nicely there. There should be mainstream schools that cater to this crowd. You have to do your research regarding what special ed services are available there. It's a very large city, and you have a lot of stuff there shopping wise.

RBS Gimmel is more mainstream, white shirt, black hat, Israeli Chareidi, yet more open-minded than Jerusalem, and still with plenty of Anglos (not as many as RBS A). It's newer than A. It's a bit more affordable as well. You might have to travel into RBS A to get all the things you need, including medical services. It's a short bus ride.

To purchase a somewhat normal size home in any of these areas would probably start at $400,000, and you'd have to put down 40% or more to get a mortgage. Keep that in mind.

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 4:41 pm
Success10 wrote:
Ok, RBS Bet is predominantly chassidish, like second-generation Meah Shearim Chassidish. So let's put that option on the side for now.

Starting with Jerusalem. Jerusalem has (I've heard) the best services for special needs children, but it's prohibitively expensive in most parts. Areas that are Anglo and open-minded Yeshivish are Har Nof, Ramat Eshkol and Rechavia (that I can think of off the top of my head). These are expensive areas and you could do much better for your money if you leave Jerusalem.

The most natural choice outside of Jerusalem is RBS A. It's very, very Anglo, but religiously there is a mix, and Chofetz Chaim Yeshivish could fit in nicely there. There should be mainstream schools that cater to this crowd. You have to do your research regarding what special ed services are available there. It's a very large city, and you have a lot of stuff there shopping wise.

RBS Gimmel is more mainstream, white shirt, black hat, Israeli Chareidi, yet more open-minded than Jerusalem, and still with plenty of Anglos (not as many as RBS A). It's newer than A. It's a bit more affordable as well. You might have to travel into RBS A to get all the things you need, including medical services. It's a short bus ride.

To purchase a somewhat normal size home in any of these areas would probably start at $400,000, and you'd have to put down 40% or more to get a mortgage. Keep that in mind.

Thank you for explaining all of that! Originally I was very interested in living in Jerusalem, and I still am, but since I started looking into it more, it sounds like RBS is probably a better fit for us both financially and socially. RBS A and Gimmel both sound like good matches. Would we need a car or could we get by okay with buses? Also, what size house could you get for $400k?

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 4:46 pm
RBS A may be more affordable, but find out about services. People live where kids can get services. School program. yerushalayim may have more -

and if you cant afford best neighborhood in Jm you will go lower cost, but you need to have schooling for your kids!

RBS G cheaper and newer, but rooms are so much smaller!!

400k is not a house. this is israel. its an apt. with neignours above, below and on your sides, music, vaccume, kids cry at night - all the sounds...

Welcome to isarel!

Success10

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 4:47 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
Thank you for explaining all of that! Originally I was very interested in living in Jerusalem, and I still am, but since I started looking into it more, it sounds like RBS is probably a better fit for us both financially and socially. RBS A and Gimmel both sound like good matches. Would we need a car or could we get by okay with buses? Also, what size house could you get for $400k?

I think if you don't leave Beit Shemesh much, you could make it without a car, but most people there do have one, since it's just a place with a more American mentality. Ultimately, as your family grows, IY"H, it will be increasingly difficult not to have one, especially if you have to make trips to Jerusalem.

$400K could maybe get you a basic 3 bedroom apartment with a tiny Succah porch. Maybe.

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 4:55 pm
What are the school options for RBS? Do they have special needs services?

Is there a cost difference between RBS A and Gimmel? Apartment is fine, I didn't necessarily mean "house" when when I wrote house, lol. Just trying to figure out price points. 3 bedrooms is fine. 4 would be ideal, but 3 works too.

If Jerusalem has better school options, we would look there too. I want my kids to have their best chance of success. Are there any lower cost neighborhoods there we could consider?

tree of life

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 5:07 pm
Hi I live in ramet beis shemesh aleph happy to help you or anyone else thinking of making aliya pm I guve you my number we moved for my son who needed special ed
Bh he got what he needed not All in beit shemesh but yerushlyom is 50 minutes away and of your child needs special Ed school I yerushlyom the government will pay for school bus
Definitely not beit
New area is mishkofyim

WitchKitty

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 12:12 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
Coming from Rochester, NY. Right now my son receives OT, PT, speech, special ed, respite (I'm not counting on getting that in Israel though), and he's enrolled in a special ed/integrated preschool.

If he has a diagnosis you should be able to get most of that. Be prepared to fight it out.
I'm pretty sure RBS has at least some sort of special ed school. If there's nothing that fits you can send him anywhere else and the city will pay for transportation.

Btw Beit Shemesh itself is not frum at all.. .
I do think you would fit more in gimmel.
I look at RBSA as too American. If I am wrong someone please correct me. But I've noticed that you can manage in A on English only in most stores and streets. And you can find most American products. If you're looking to actually make aliyah and have your children as real Israelis, or, as you've written, "integrate into Israeli society", don't pick A. A will keep them American. I've met girls my age who've been living there since they were born and still don't know how to speak Hebrew correctly.

Gimmel is pretty new so it doesn't have a lot of things. It's growing though.
Kiwi13, if you're not looking to move right now you might want to look into buying in the new parts of gimmel, on paper. It's cheaper so you'll get more for your money.

Financially RBS is much cheaper than Jerusalem.
Have you looked into other options? What made you think of those places? It might help us think of more ideas.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 12:39 am
I'm not charedi, so I'm not helpful in terms of neighborhoods, but I do know that Yerushalayim has much more in terms of services for special needs. Beit Shemesh doesn't have anywhere near the municipal services that Yerushalayim does, because they just don't have the budget. It's better than it used to be, but it's still not comparable to Yerushalayim.

I would call nefesh bnefesh and speak to someone who might know what neighborhoods in Yerushalayim are near the schools and services you will need.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 12:45 am
WitchKitty wrote:
If he has a diagnosis you should be able to get most of that. Be prepared to fight it out.
I'm pretty sure RBS has at least some sort of special ed school. If there's nothing that fits you can send him anywhere else and the city will pay for transportation.

Btw Beit Shemesh itself is not frum at all.. .
I do think you would fit more in gimmel.
I look at RBSA as too American. If I am wrong someone please correct me. But I've noticed that you can manage in A on English only in most stores and streets. And you can find most American products. If you're looking to actually make aliyah and have your children as real Israelis, or, as you've written, "integrate into Israeli society", don't pick A. A will keep them American. I've met girls my age who've been living there since they were born and still don't know how to speak Hebrew correctly.

Gimmel is pretty new so it doesn't have a lot of things. It's growing though.
Kiwi13, if you're not looking to move right now you might want to look into buying in the new parts of gimmel, on paper. It's cheaper so you'll get more for your money.

Financially RBS is much cheaper than Jerusalem.
Have you looked into other options? What made you think of those places? It might help us think of more ideas.

Bet shemesh itself has TONS of frum people. Not sure why you think it doesn't.
Nofei aviv
Sheinfeld
Nofei hashemesh
Even the shaar ha'ir apartments have Frum people

My kids grew up in RBS A and they are very integrated into Israeli society. It's a big misconception that everyone in aleph stays American. it's really not true. If you want to integrate you absolutely can.

WitchKitty

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 12:58 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
Bet shemesh itself has TONS of frum people. Not sure why you think it doesn't.
Nofei aviv
Sheinfeld
Nofei hashemesh
Even the shaar ha'ir apartments have Frum people

My kids grew up in RBS A and they are very integrated into Israeli society. It's a big misconception that everyone in aleph stays American. it's really not true. If you want to integrate you absolutely can.

Thank you for correcting me.
I really should go live there for a while to get to really know the place Laugh

Success10

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 1:48 am
Affordable neighborhoods in Jerusalem include neighborhoods on the edge like Kiryat Yovel, Neve Yaakov and Gilo, and Ramot and French Hill are a tad more affordable than the center as well. But there are not many Anglos in these places (actually, French Hill has a good amount) and the Chareidi neighborhoods within these places are more mainstream and might be an adjustment for you. But they are all considered Jerusalem proper and not an incredibly long commute to other neighborhoods if special services are needed.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions