Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
How to take chocolate cake up a notch?

geemum

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 2:57 am
I have a great recipe for chocolate cake that my family enjoy.

I would like to jazz it up a bit, for special shabbos or to send to a new neighbour etc. Either surprise inside, or to make it look more impressive..... Any ideas?

momaleh

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 3:43 am
You can always swirl in caramel or peanut butter.

When we give cakes, we like to make cupcakes with a fancy whipped cream swirl, maybe a candy on top like a mini marshmallow, or various coordinating icing colors topped with tiny candies.

Too make it really easy and pretty, get a nice bundt pan. When finished, place on a nice platter and drizzle icing.

Frumme

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 8:41 am
You could swap or add almond extract/amaretto (instead of the usual vanilla).

Bake in fancy disposable bakepans (bakery style) or in a Bundt pan.

Decorate with light icing, crushed pistachios, berries, and edible flowers

Add chocolate or caramel chips to the batter, or alternatively a complementary fruit (chopped dried cherries, craisins, and strawberries are usually good with chocolate). Make sure to coat them with flour before mixing in so they don't all sink to the bottom!

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 9:05 am
Frumme wrote:
You could swap or add almond extract/amaretto (instead of the usual vanilla).

Bake in fancy disposable bakepans (bakery style) or in a Bundt pan.

I was going to suggest chocolate extract. And I think presentation is also a good idea. Why mess with a successful recipe? I think it was Mr. Shakespeare who said that "A good chocolate cake is a joyful thing of beauty forever." Or something like that.

I have one or two recipes that look pretty or presentable, but largely, I send stuff that is enjoyed by the recipients, or my family, as is.

But I also understand the drive for chiddush. It's why I try new recipes even though I have a large repertoire of old faithfuls. Either way, enjoy!

corolla

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 9:36 am
You can bake it in a bundt pan and then fill the inside with some kind of molten sauce (caramel, chocolate, pb), so then when you cut it, the sauce flows out and makes it into a lava cake.
But beware, it will be messy.

geemum

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 11:28 am
Thnaks everyone. Some really cool ideas, now I need to try them all!!!

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 11:31 am
I actually couldn’t think of anything, but since Frumme mentioned the extracts, if you don’t already, you could try substituting rum for vanilla sugar. Not everyone goes for the rum flavor but I personally think it just gives it a real delicious taste

happy chick

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 11:58 am
If you send it over to me for shabbos, I'll taste it and let you know how it could be perfected Wink
How about adding a frosting on top? Maybe w some topping?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins