Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
10 month old doesn’t sleep until 4AM

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 1:55 am
My baby used to sleep from around 10PM to 8:300AM through the night I felt so blessed that my baby sleeps through the night. Recently she started to refuse to sleep until 4AM or go to sleep but then wake up and stay up until 4AM. Then she wakes up at around 12. Does anyone know why it might be happening and how I can get her to go back to her normal schedule? I don’t think she is teething by the way.

Rachel Shira

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 4:05 am
What’s her schedule during the day?

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 9:35 am
She had the nights and days mixed up obviously.

Why are you letting her sleep till 12?

You need to set a routine for her to follow.

Wake her up (not in a mean way, but softly, you can make a little noise, call her name etc) at 7 am (or 8:30, you choose a time but not later than 9) she will be tired and cranky the first day, but she will be ready for sleep at night. (She should take naps during the day, too, but make sure they are not too long so she will be tired at night.)

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 9:42 am
Dealing with same with my 11 month old. He doesn't settle to sleep until early am hours and I'm falling apart. I don't think anything specific is bothering him. Is it a terrible idea to give melo drops to such a young child, just to reset?

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 10:11 am
I'll be the shvigger... make sure she's well fed and not hungry before going to bed.

stillnewlywed

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 11:22 am
Wake her at a normal time in the morning and start moving everything in her schedule back. It's going to take some time to undo her messed up circadian rhythm.
When is her last nap?

stillnewlywed

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 11:23 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Dealing with same with my 11 month old. He doesn't settle to sleep until early am hours and I'm falling apart. I don't think anything specific is bothering him. Is it a terrible idea to give melo drops to such a young child, just to reset?

What's his nap schedule?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 1:17 pm
She naps from around 3-5PM. It’s not always exactly at that time but that’s around when she naps. Even if I would want to put her to nap before she wouldn’t agree.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 1:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She naps from around 3-5PM. It’s not always exactly at that time but that’s around when she naps. Even if I would want to put her to nap before she wouldn’t agree.

Okay so that’s her first nap, being that she wakes up at 12 pm?
At this age average wake times are 3/3/4 so for a 12 pm wake up she would need a nap from 3-5 and then a nap from 8-9 and then bedtime at 1 am.
Obviously you don’t want this schedule so you have to push everything back.
Wake her at 7 am
Put her down for a nap from around 10-12
Her second nap should be from around 3-4
Bedtime around 8 pm
Stick to this schedule even if she is overtired for a few days to get her circadian rhythm back on track. Bring her outside into the sun in the morning when you wake her and keep the room dark and quiet from 8 pm to 7 am.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 1:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It sounds like her whole sleep schedule has shifted. Start waking her up 8 or 9. Force her to stay awake till noon. Then naptime at noon. Don't let her sleep more than 3 hours. Once you put her down for the night, any wake ups after that are in a dark calm room.

Rachel Shira

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 1:59 pm
Yes to above. I would just say to gradually bring the schedule earlier by maybe half an hour a day so she can adjust to it better.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 1:59 pm
At this age baby should sleep from 7pm to 7am.

Naps should be at 9:30-11 and then 1-2:30

Rachel Shira

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 3:43 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:

If your baby will do that, that’s a very high sleep needs baby. More average for 10 months is an 11 hour night and 2.5-3 hours of naps.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 5:26 pm
Rachel Shira wrote:
If your baby will do that, that’s a very high sleep needs baby. More average for 10 months is an 11 hour nights and 2.5-3 hours of naps.

The 2 naps I mentioned total 3 hours

Since babies should be Put to sleep awake I don’t consider 7pm bedtime to mean to mean 7 pm sleep time. But the routine should be there. OP doesn’t seem to have a routine at all and thinks her baby is in charge of her schedule when it’s really the other way around

stillnewlywed

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 6:12 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
The 2 naps I mentioned total 3 hours

Since babies should be Put to sleep awake I don’t consider 7pm bedtime to mean to mean 7 pm sleep time. But the routine should be there. OP doesn’t seem to have a routine at all and thinks her baby is in charge of her schedule when it’s really the other way around

If you have a good schedule your kid should fall asleep within 10 minutes of being put to bed. You don’t need to put the kid into bed an hour before you expect them to fall asleep.

stillnewlywed

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 6:14 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:

This schedule won’t work for most babies.
There are only 2 hours between nap 1 and 2...that’s longer than the time between wake and nap 1. Average wake windows at this age are 3/3/4 at the minimum. A lot of kids start stretching even longer in preparation to drop a nap.
15 hours total sleep is also for a really high sleep needs baby.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics