Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Breast pump
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 8:07 pm
Anyone have any suggestions for a good one but not those really expensive ones. I want to spend around 50 bucks and obviously want something that works well and isnt painful.
Does such a thing exist- I'm clueless Smile

nicole81

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 8:14 pm
do you need a manual one for the occasional pumping? or an electric one? if manual, I would recommend the avent isis. for electric, I don't really know of any good ones for that price. I've heard great things about the ameda purely yours, that it's even better than the medela electric, but the cheapest I've seen it is around $115. maybe someone alse has a better suggestion.

Ima-to-angels

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 1:56 am
Avent Isis. Wonderful and much more comfortable than the electric ones.

elisecohen

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 4:27 am
I second the Avent Isis recommendation.

Pearl

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 4:35 am
maybe try and get it second hand?

technic

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 4:38 am
"...one careful lady owner, has only done 30,000 pints?" LOL

Pearl

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 4:38 am
something like that!

nicole81

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 8:59 am
really, some pumps are approved for multiple users. the avent isis is not. neither is the medela. the ameda is, so can probably be found for a great price secondhand. however, whether you feel comfortable doing that or not is another issue.

ElTam

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 9:27 am
I loved my Avent Isis. The only thing that I had to figure out was that the little cusiony pad thing they tell you to put in the part that goes over the breast kept me from getting any suction. I used it without, no discomfort and it worked great.

Of course my little angel prefered to starve herself and wait for the real thing than take a bottle of pumped milk, so the only use all that pumped milk got was as an add-in once she started on rice cereal. I can't tell you how many phone calls I got from my DH saying, "She won't take the bottle and she won't stop screaming and you have to come home NOW." (These usually came right as I reached the front of the checkout line at the grocery store.) LOL

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 10:50 am
I had problems with the suction of the avent isis at times, but maybe ElTam's suggestion would help. my dr. told me all manual pumps can have that problem. (it's funny my dd was born a few days before a hurricane hit our area, so I specifically asked for a manual pump in case electricity went out).
when my ds was born I asked my mom to get me an electric pump as a gift. it's much easier on the hands. I only used it about once a day (when I went back to work). I got the medela PIS, I think they are all over $200.
also many of the manuals only come with one pump, so you can only do one side at a time (so it can take you and hour to pump both sides). the electric ones come with two, so you can do both sides at the same time.
PM me if you want more info.

Crayon210

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 1:35 pm
I have an electric Medela, and it's wonderful! I know of a lady in Lakewood who sells them much cheaper than the regular price. PM me if you need information.

Last edited by Crayon210 on Sun, May 04 2008, 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total

chavamom

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 1:39 pm
I have the Ameda Purely Yours, though even that is quite a bit more than $50. If it is only for occassional use, I second the Avent Isis, but you do have to learn to use it. I have found that if you can nurse on one side and pump the other (encourages let down) at the same time, it helps to get the hang of it.

Meema2Kids

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 6:34 pm
I love the Avent Isis. I have used it for my 3 babies, the first two I used it for pumping while working full time. I did have to replace it a couple of times because I used it so much (the silicone parts wear out and it was cheaper to buy a new pump than order the parts from Avent) while I was working. I have also used a Medela (the hospital grade model) and it was nice but not worth the price for renting and lugging it around at work. Plus the Isis always felt better because it was softer and I could adjust the suction as was comfortable.

roza

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 6:47 pm
I had medela deluxe

I liked it the best, and I tried few of them.

youngmom

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 10:38 pm
I'm very happy with the medela deluxe too.

girliesmommy

Post Wed, Sep 21 2005, 7:33 am
Roza... isn't that the Medela Mini Electric? Or is it the same thing with 2 different names?

roza

Post Wed, Sep 21 2005, 8:01 am
yes, it's the same.

chavamom

Post Wed, Sep 21 2005, 12:07 pm
Meema2Kids wrote:
I have also used a Medela (the hospital grade model) and it was nice but not worth the price for renting and lugging it around at work. Plus the Isis always felt better because it was softer and I could adjust the suction as was comfortable.

If you are going the rental route, you might as well buy a Purely Yours or a Pump in Style. The current models on those both have adjustable suction. If someone is working fulltime, they really need an electric pump to keep up their supply.

Yael

Post Wed, Sep 21 2005, 12:29 pm
I like the avent isis.
another good use for it is when traveling in a car and baby wants to eat you just pump and feed the bottle instead of pulling over to nurse.

3Qts

Post Sat, Oct 08 2005, 8:52 pm
I like the Avent Isis and you can purchase it for under $40. I also have the Electric Medala Pump in Style which is easier because its electric and you do both sides at a time but for occasional pumping I use the Isis.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics