Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
How can I wake up my sleeping computer?

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 7:23 pm
When my computer isn't used for a while, the screen turns off. It's supposed to turn back on again when you move the mouse or press a button, but it seems to be sleeping too deeply and won't wake up. If I turn off the power by holding down the power button, and then I turn it back on, it works again until it goes to sleep again. I don't want to turn off the power on my computer a few times a day. How else can I wake it up?

cuties' mom

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 9:36 pm
control alt delete should work.

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 9:58 pm
No. The screen is still off.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 10:03 pm
I’ve had that. It’s really annoying. The only thing that worked was to unplug the power surge. Take all wires out. Don’t put back right away. Wait 10 minutes.
This happened to me a few times . The last time it happened my computer was sleeping for good. We had to replace with a new one. This time we don’t leave it on all the time. We actually shut down every night.

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 10:48 pm
You mean this is the beginning of the end? I guess I should start looking into new computers.

singleagain

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 11:13 pm
Check in your settings and see what the computer sleep schedule is.

Maybe you can change it to not fall asleep until a longer period of inactivity.

Also it's a good idea to restart your computer at least once a week. It helps keep it updated and running better.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 11:22 pm
singleagain wrote:
Check in your settings and see what the computer sleep schedule is.

Maybe you can change it to not fall asleep until a longer period of inactivity.

Also it's a good idea to restart your computer at least once a week. It helps keep it updated and running better.

How can she check settings?

singleagain

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 11:31 pm
In settings. Go to the start bar and start typing in sleep settings. It should pop up unless you have a really old machine

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 12:24 am
singleagain wrote:
In settings. Go to the start bar and start typing in sleep settings. It should pop up unless you have a really old machine

But her computer is still in sleep mode...

Frumme

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 12:31 am
the world's best mom wrote:
When my computer isn't used for a while, the screen turns off. It's supposed to turn back on again when you move the mouse or press a button, but it seems to be sleeping too deeply and won't wake up. If I turn off the power by holding down the power button, and then I turn it back on, it works again until it goes to sleep again. I don't want to turn off the power on my computer a few times a day. How else can I wake it up?

It sounds like it's going into hibernate instead of sleep. Listen to Singleagain's advice and check your power settings. If you tell us what system you're operating, we can tell you how to get there (e.g. windows 10, XP, whatever). Also, are you using a laptop or desktop?

Please don't take any wiring out until you try to fix the potential software issues first.

chanatron1000

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 12:39 am
If it goes into hibernate, it should return to its original state when the power button is pressed. It probably can't anyway, because hibernate mode is disabled by default on most computers. There are problems that can cause a computer not to wake up from sleep mode. For example, the keyboard or mouse could be set not to be able to wake the computer.

singleagain

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 12:40 am
I meant once the computer is awake.

This isn't the kind of problem that is easy to fix when you are not at all near the machine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics