Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Israeli school system and vaccines.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 4:00 pm
How do you avoid getting your kids shots in school without making a whole fuss?

Rappel

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 4:06 pm
You can just say no. Vaccines aren't mandatory in this country.

Though there is some discussion about changing that in the near future, in light of an impending coronavirus vaccine.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 4:08 pm
Rappel wrote:
You can just say no. Vaccines aren't mandatory in this country.

Though there is some discussion about changing that in the near future, in light of an impending coronavirus vaccine.

The school just asked for vaccine book records, um should I just not send anything in?

Rappel

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 4:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The school just asked for vaccine book records, um should I just not send anything in?

Technically, you're not required by law to report your child's vaccine status to the school. But you can choose whether you want to fight that fight: The school is also legally obliged to educate your child, and may not dismiss him based on his vaccination records.

Success10

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 4:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yea, don't send anything. Try to call and make it clear you're not vaxing. I don't think it will be a long conversation.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 4:16 pm
thank you. I m new to this. and very american when it comes to these things.
I dont like them giving a physical in school either. I want to be there!

SuperWify

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 4:17 pm
I reported your post so it can be moved to the vaccine forum.

Success10

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 4:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thank you. I m new to this. and very american when it comes to these things.
I dont like them giving a physical in school either. I want to be there!

Just to make it clear, I do vaccinate, so I hope my advice is accurate. But I think lots of people do not and they can't force you. I have never heard of the kids having a physical in school. There is a simple vision, hearing and dental exam, and you need to sign off on all of those. And they don't diagnose anything, they just send a letter to the parents that there might be an issue that needs to taken up with a doctor.

WitchKitty

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 4:36 pm
I've never checked but I don't think it's a problem.
They need the booklet to vaccinate, and a signed form. If you don't send in both they won't vaccinate, that's all. They might call you and tell you you forgot to send it in, and then you can tell them either the truth- that you're not planning to- or lie and say that you'll do it in kupat cholim yourself, which is what all those who actually forgot to send it do.

preferably the first option.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 3:41 am
Since when do schools here in Israel ask for kids vaccine booklets? Or would this just be for a new oleh student?

salt

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 3:46 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Since when do schools here in Israel ask for kids vaccine booklets? Or would this just be for a new oleh student?

When my kids do vaccines in school, they are asked to bring in their vaccine booklet so that the vaccine can be recorded, and they can check that they haven't already received it, etc.

jerusalem90

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 3:53 am
You still have a vaccine booklet even if you don't vaccine, right? It would just be empty or almost empty? If I wanted to be quiet, I'd just send the empty vaccine record in, they should be able to figure it out.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 4:02 am
salt wrote:
When my kids do vaccines in school, they are asked to bring in their vaccine booklet so that the vaccine can be recorded, and they can check that they haven't already received it, etc.
True but if one has misplaces the vaccine booklet (as we did during one of our moves over the years) we just went to the kupa before the chisun was given and brought a paper with everything.
That was not what it sounded like the OP was asking about. I dont think she was asking in terms of a missing booklet. BUt maybe I am wrong.

salt

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 4:15 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
True but if one has misplaces the vaccine booklet (as we did during one of our moves over the years) we just went to the kupa before the chisun was given and brought a paper with everything.
That was not what it sounded like the OP was asking about. I dont think she was asking in terms of a missing booklet. BUt maybe I am wrong.

OP wants to avoid her kid getting a vaccine in school. So if she sends her child without a booklet, and without a paper from kupat cholim, I think they might not do the vaccine in school.
Like a previous poster said, they may call her to ask if she forgot it, but she can then just say 'no thank you'

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 4:18 am
salt wrote:
OP wants to avoid her kid getting a vaccine in school. So if she sends her child without a booklet, and without a paper from kupat cholim, I think they might not do the vaccine in school.
Like a previous poster said, they may call her to ask if she forgot it, but she can then just say 'no thank you'
My daughter is in 7th grade. Before each vaccine we always got a note home about it and a section of the paper was all about if you dont want to have your child given this vaccine to tik off so we know. It was literally no big deal.

someone

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 6:00 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

If they asked for it that is just because they are going to vaccinate the kids, no? That's the only time I've ever been asked to send them. At the beginning of the year we receive a health declaration form for each kid, and one of the sections is whether we agree to them receiving the vaccination program of the misrad habriut. You can just mark that you don't agree to give it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 6:38 am
someone wrote:
If they asked for it that is just because they are going to vaccinate the kids, no? That's the only time I've ever been asked to send them. At the beginning of the year we receive a health declaration form for each kid, and one of the sections is whether we agree to them receiving the vaccination program of the misrad habriut. You can just mark that you don't agree to give it.

Have you done this? I would love to hear from someone who did.

kalsee

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 7:05 am
just don't send the booklet in.
If they call and ask, you can tell them that you take care of your child's medical things on your own

someone

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 7:43 am
I haven't done it because I vaccinate, and in general I am in favour of mandatory vaccinations so I'm not the right person to ask here. But what exactly are you worried about? The school cannot legally do anything to you if you tell them that you don't vaccinate your kids. They can disagree but there are no practical steps they can take against you.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 8:15 am
someone wrote:
I haven't done it because I vaccinate, and in general I am in favour of mandatory vaccinations so I'm not the right person to ask here. But what exactly are you worried about? The school cannot legally do anything to you if you tell them that you don't vaccinate your kids. They can disagree but there are no practical steps they can take against you.

Unfortunately.

All TC vaccines should be mandatory. All of them. But especially vaccines for airborne diseases and polio should be mandatory.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics