Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Monsey school
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 6:59 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
A lot of the Chassidish schools in Boro park allow socks in kindergarten. Many chassiduses allow till age 6.

In monsey if that's the case the school becomes a cheap name and after all a lot of chassidish families are looking for the less strict schools it's just that its already considered a bad name which I dont think in boro park ppl are being judged the way its became here in monsey .

I cant understand this . That's why if I was one of the lax parents I would already consider a nonchassidish school with not crazy rules ,( I understand they do have rules but still different then a chassidish school) and the name is much better . But it's a shame the way people judge .

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 7:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
In monsey if that's the case the school becomes a cheap name and after all a lot of chassidish families are looking for the less strict schools it's just that its already considered a bad name which I dont think in boro park ppl are being judged the way its became here in monsey .

I cant understand this . That's why if I was one of the lax parents I would already consider a nonchassidish school with not crazy rules ,( I understand they do have rules but still different then a chassidish school) and the name is much better . But it's a shame the way people judge .

Agree. Monsey is a very judgemental place. I don’t find it to be true in other heimish areas in NY.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 7:17 pm
Delete

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 7:25 pm
Fuchsia wrote:
In the case of Chassidish schools, competition is always worse for the consumer. All the ridiculous new rules and tightening of standards is the result of competition, and in the end everybody loses out.
This is a great point . I never thought of it this way, but SO true.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 7:36 pm
A lot of the Chassidish schools in Boro park allow socks in kindergarten. Many chassiduses allow till age 6.

Not that many typical chasiddish schools in BP allow socks till age 6. Just some neutral schools that don't have the most chassidish parent body.
And definitely not the schools that belong under mosdos. (Besides for Bobov which is till aged 5. )

nchr

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 7:47 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Agree. Monsey is a very judgemental place. I don’t find it to be true in other heimish areas in NY.

Monsey is more judgmental than Williamsburg or KJ?

cnc

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 7:57 pm

I don’t know if a single school that allows socks till age 6.
Bobov allows until the 5th birthday and they’re considered “modern” because most other schools require tights from
nursery.

Last edited by cnc on Wed, Sep 09 2020, 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 7:58 pm
This thread is so so so sad. Looks like the primary focus in finding the right school is the colors of shoes, opened top buttons, and till what age knee socks can be worn.

And then we wonder why the schools act in this manner (hint - it's the parent body).

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 8:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Well, just look at this thread. Judging schools based on their dress requirements, and not the actual substance of the school. And labeling parents as 'lax' if they dress their six year olds in knee socks.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 8:07 pm
Fuchsia wrote:
In the case of Chassidish schools, competition is always worse for the consumer. All the ridiculous new rules and tightening of standards is the result of competition, and in the end everybody loses out.

That's because we the parents define the level of frumkeit by judging the extraneous details of our attire. So when schools compete for a better name, they play right into it. They won't pride themselves with a unique hashkafah course or teaching of life skills, they'll pride themselves with abolishing knee socks for three year olds, or deeming hoodie sweaters to be untznius.

They play this for us. It we stop playing and demand substance, they will follow suit.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 8:12 pm
Fuchsia wrote:

(double post)

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 8:15 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
I personally took out of bdy and changing my girls to munkatch. We were happy with bdy cuz we didn’t have better. Once we heard munkatch is opening we ran for it. We have our boys in munkatch cheder and it’s amazing. Same ppl will be running the school so we’re expecting the school to be as amazing as the cheder is..
Thought parent body would be more heimish/chasidish but what I see it’s the same type as poster wrote.
Bdy accepts everyone and I’m hoping munkatch will be more picky as ppl who don’t dress as they should shouldn’t be accepted..
Either case competition is great so girls staying in bdy will have it better iyh”
So glad another school opened. Yes there’s enough students for both to fill up iyh”.

You've just made my point how it's the parents pushing the schools to behave in this manner.

What would happen if your daughter learns chumash, parshah and math with someone who doesn't dress in exactly the same way as your daughter?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 8:17 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
This thread is so so so sad. Looks like the primary focus in finding the right school is the colors of shoes, opened top buttons, and till what age knee socks can be worn.

And then we wonder why the schools act in this manner (hint - it's the parent body).

It's not sad. We're talking about Chassidish schools and Chassidish minhag is to wear tights by age 3. Chassidish focus a lot on tzenuis, so this is what we expect of Chassidish schools. Every school is entitled to their rules. And this is not the primary focus when finding the right school.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 8:19 pm
Well, just look at this thread. Judging schools based on their dress requirements, and not the actual substance of the school. And labeling parents as 'lax' if they dress their six year olds in knee socks.

In the chassidish world it is considered lax when a 6 year old wears knee socks.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 8:29 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
It's not sad. We're talking about Chassidish schools and Chassidish minhag is to wear tights by age 3. Chassidish focus a lot on tzenuis, so this is what we expect of Chassidish schools. Every school is entitled to their rules. And this is not the primary focus when finding the right school.

It's not a minhag, but a new invention. But that's the sidepoint. The real point here is that this is a thread discussing and comparing two schools, and it seems to be mostly about socks and tights. I think you'll agree with me that to define chassidishkeit by hosiery and dress length greatly undermines what chassidishkeit is all about. But yet, that seems to be the criteria that defines the standing of schools.

So again, isn't that sad?

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 8:31 pm
In the chassidish world it is considered lax when a 6 year old wears knee socks.

Also a new invention of late. And isn't it sad to define someone as spiritually based on her six year old's hosiery? This never used to be what chassidishkeit was about.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 8:34 pm
Also a new invention of late. And isn't it sad to define someone as spiritually based on her six year old's hosiery? This never used to be what chassidishkeit was about.

It is not a new invention at all, it was like this 30 years ago when I went to school. And it's definitely not what chassidishkeit is about, it's just part of it. It's one of the many minhagim that are the make up of Chassidish. No one is defining anyone's spiritually based on a 6 year old hosiery. But if a chassidish mom puts socks on her 6 year old, then it's usually not the only thing they're lax about.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 8:37 pm
BDY is officially only for ex chassidish not accepted elsewhere. I really hope Mumkatch will service neutral chassidjm and not all those running from their past. It would be a shame to have yet another of the same clientele.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 8:40 pm
It is not a new invention at all, it was like this 30 years ago when I went to school. And it's definitely not what chassidishkeit is about, it's just part of it. It's one of the many minhagim that are the make up of Chassidish. No one is defining anyone's spiritually based on a 6 year old hosiery. But if a chassidish mom puts socks on her 6 year old, then it's usually not the only thing they're lax about.

It was invented 30 years ago. Chassidishkeit has been around for many more years than that. So it is something new and not any old traditional minhag.

And re the bolded - it's precisely this judgmental attitude that pushes people away. Putting on knee socks on a little girl which is halachically sound in every which way doesn't make a person lax in other areas. That mother just doesn't have a feel towards this minhag.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 8:42 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
BDY is officially only for ex chassidish not accepted elsewhere. I really hope Mumkatch will service neutral chassidjm and not all those running from their past. It would be a shame to have yet another of the same clientele.

I know three people in BDY. All three are not ex chasiddish. They all three are frum, makpid on tznius in every way and are super ehrlich, emesdig and always searching to grow. It’s sad that some people gave this school a name for having the “leftover garbage” because there are very fine people there. It’s the only Chasidish school I would consider for my own daughter if the non Chasidish schools won’t accept her.
Page 3 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children