Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Prevent teasing - preschool quick reply please

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 8:01 am
My 5 yr old daughter is vilnerable to teasing / bullying . she wants to wear a mask because someone "coughed in her face" yesterday. she came with this idea. is there anything I could say to prepare her for little kids that will point out that she is the only one wearing a mask. Especially since someone is coughing in her class.

ChanieMommy

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 8:08 am
Wow! What a bright little girl!
She analysed the situation and came to the conclusion that a mask was the best solution. She is really mature.

I suppose a lot will depend on the teacher's attitude. If the teacher says she is right and others should follow suit, she probably won't be teased. Or at least there could be a discussion, moderated by the teacher where everyone expresses their opinion and the conclusion will be "live and let live".

So perhaps the best way of protecting her would be to take it up with the teacher, so that she can prevent bullying in an open discussion, before it happens? And also clarify a few facts about Covid?

Life is not easy for people who swim upstream...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 8:33 am
ChanieMommy wrote:
Wow! What a bright little girl!
She analysed the situation and came to the conclusion that a mask was the best solution. She is really mature.

I suppose a lot will depend on the teacher's attitude. If the teacher says she is right and others should follow suit, she probably won't be teased. Or at least there could be a discussion, moderated by the teacher where everyone expresses their opinion and the conclusion will be "live and let live".

So perhaps the best way of protecting her would be to take it up with the teacher, so that she can prevent bullying in an open discussion, before it happens? And also clarify a few facts about Covid?

Life is not easy for people who swim upstream...
clarify a few facts to the morah or my daughter. what kimd of facts do you have in mind

ChanieMommy

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 8:48 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
clarify a few facts to the morah or my daughter. what kimd of facts do you have in mind

It would be an occasion for the ganenet to explain to the children a few facts about what a virus is and how this coronavirus is spread through the air carriers exhale, so you can catch it through the nose, so it's a good idea to put on a mask... and also that children don't have much to fear, to them it's mostly harmless... but that we do not want to spread it... so that's why children who have it have to stay at home... etc...

And at the same time say very firmly: don't tease or bully children who wear a mask...

Because most children just hear a few words here and a few words there... and then they draw their own conclusions... but in general it is possible for a teacher to combat half-knoledge and ignorance, and the negative consequences this might entail, like teasing and bullying.

Last edited by ChanieMommy on Thu, Sep 03 2020, 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 8:50 am
I would take it up with the school to enforce mask rule all around

problems solved

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 8:52 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:

problems solved

This. Most schools require masks from kindergarten and above .

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 8:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My 5 yr old daughter is vilnerable to teasing / bullying . she wants to wear a mask because someone "coughed in her face" yesterday. she came with this idea. is there anything I could say to prepare her for little kids that will point out that she is the only one wearing a mask. Especially since someone is coughing in her class.

I wouldn’t send my kid in a mask if no one else was. I would tell the morah.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 8:57 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:

problems solved
tried this, got rejected

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 8:59 am
notshanarishona wrote:
This. Most schools require masks from kindergarten and above .
I tried to request maskwearing before, what do you suggest I tell the morah

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 9:01 am
Definitely don't send your daughter in a mask if no one else is.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 9:02 am
notshanarishona wrote:
I wouldn’t send my kid in a mask if no one else was. I would tell the morah.
I sort of agree but , daughter is correct, would you suggest I talk her out of wearing a mask, or not send her? I know that emotional / social damage (teasing) is real and so to physical (corona) .

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 9:06 am
I'm trying to understand - someone happened to cough or they did it specially to tease her?

If the latter, the worst thing you can do is send her in a mask and make her even more vulnerable to teasing.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 9:24 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
I'm trying to understand - someone happened to cough or they did it specially to tease her?

If the latter, the worst thing you can do is send her in a mask and make her even more vulnerable to teasing.
she has not worn a mask there yet, she told me that yesterday ploni coughed right in her face. and wants to wear a mask today. she has not been teased about this yet, I just know kids like to point out when someone is different. so im thinking proactively

lilies

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 10:12 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
she has not worn a mask there yet, she told me that yesterday ploni coughed right in her face. and wants to wear a mask today. she has not been teased about this yet, I just know kids like to point out when someone is different. so im thinking proactively

Does she want to mask for safety or cleanliness?
She may be teased for safety and not have the language to respond, for cleanliness it's a good solution. I wouldn't be surprised though if ploni pulls the mask down to cough in her face again.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 10:37 am
lilies wrote:
Does she want to mask for safety or cleanliness?
She may be teased for safety and not have the language to respond, for cleanliness it's a good solution. I wouldn't be surprised though if ploni pulls the mask down to cough in her face again.
what is the difference between safety and cleanliness, I tought they were one in the same

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 11:42 am
I would not strongly incourage or discouraged the mask. If she wears the mask and gets teased she will just stop wearing it on her own. Or others might think it cool and also wear one buy her a cute string to keep her mask on..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics