Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Making shabbos/Yom tov while pregnant and nauseous?

oakandfig19

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 8:10 pm
I’m bH 12 weeks along, no children yet, and for the past 2 months I just dread making shabbos and now I feel that way about RH. The thought of most chicken and meat grosses me out, I have less energy and can’t be on my feet as long, and then when shabbos comes I don’t want to eat the food I made. I’m just wondering if other people experience this and if there are things you can do to make cooking more enjoyable or easy? I don’t want to complain about being pregnant I’m very blessed...it’s just hard!

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 8:16 pm
It is hard!
I cooked food for Dh but didn't eat it. I stuck with veggies mostly for myself- and lots of challah with honey. I withstood the smells while cooking somehow. I think I kept coke and seltzer on hand to help me. I cooked a very simple menu. Bshaa tova!

challahchallah

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 8:17 pm
If meat is bothering you, then maybe this is the year for festive dairy meals. If that doesn’t work for you, maybe this is the year your husband learns to cook.

frum_lady

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 8:21 pm
The smell of cooking made me crazy!! Buy takeout if you can.. even if you don’t usually spend the money on that - now is the time (if you can). B’shaah Tovah!

OOT

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 8:38 pm
Hopefully you’ll be over the nausea in a couple of weeks. It’s ok to skip cooking for a bit. No mitzva to suffer. B’shaah Tova!

serenity8843

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 9:10 pm
I had this in my first trimester! I found that it was easier for me to cook meat than chicken and that it was best to cook the meat in the oven rather than grilling or searing on the stove. Somehow the oven contained the smells better. I usually made brisket or London broil. I made sushi salad for first course since the only thing that needs to be cooked is the sushi rice. Challah and dips are easy things to buy rather than cook. I found that starchy side dishes also were easier to cook and stomach. I either made or bought potato kugel or roasted mini red potatoes. Green beans also don't have such an obnoxious smell and can be flavored in many ways. Shabbos day was usually challah, dip, salmon teriyaki and cholent. Sometimes a salad as well. This was all during the height of corona so we were home every shabbos alone and therefore I was able to cook the bare minimum.

rgh

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 9:13 pm
It's horrific.
I didn't make dinner or shabbos for weeks on end.
It's the hardest part of the entire pregnancy/birth process.

avrahamama

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 9:35 pm
I used gloves and tongs and as little touching as possible. Also cover my nose.

But really asked my husband to take over for the first toughest stretch.

essie14

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 4:11 am
My husband took over. I was around 14 weeks at RH time and I couldn't be anywhere near the kitchen without vomiting. I gave DH instructions how to make things and we supplemented with take out. I stayed locked in my room while he cooked. I couldn't even be in the Sukkah on Sukkot, it was too close to food and I would vomit.
We all survived!

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 4:25 am
Many pregnant women have an aversion to the smells of chicken and meat and fish, as well as countless other weird things. I get so nauseous that I can't even open the fridge without getting overwhelmed by the smells. I stop cooking entirely. DH takes care of meals while I hide upstairs in my room with the door shut tight.

If your husband doesn't know how to cook, then this is an excellent time for him to learn. He will be much more capable of helping out when you're dealing with an infant or iy"H with future pregnancies when there will be kids to feed as well. If it's too overwhelming for him to start making Shabbos and Y"T, then ask him to start making dinners and work up to making Shabbos. In the meantime, either supplement with takeout or see if anyone in your support network is able to send over some things.

ChanieMommy

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 4:47 am
This is the best opportunity for your husband to learn to cook. I love the "Man and a pan" column in Mishpacha. It's so inspiring for young men to learn to cook. It creates a new trend, men will have to cook to be "with it", I love the spirit...

Cooking is such a basic skill, it would be a pity for half of humanity to run around without mastering it.

Success10

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 5:07 am
It's very hard! MY community has an initiative that arranges meals for women suffering pregnancy nausea. The pregnant woman covers the cost of the meat and chicken. Everything is anonymous and on a volunteer basis. It's a huge chessed, one that often goes overlooked. Sometimes the first trimester is harder than after birth.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus