Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
No toys

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 5:29 pm
I'm so annoyed. I just went to orientation with my toddler and while I did research and heard wonderful things about this morah, I didn't think to ask about the amount of toys she has for the kids to play. When I went to check out the place before registering, it was during lunch so I figured all the toys were put away then.

I'm so upset. I mean, if you have 6 two year olds, what do you expect them to do during playtime if you have measly toys??

I'm paying you every month lots of money, and I gave a $75 registration fee. that should be used to make sure the kids have what to play with!

DS came home and said he wants to go back to play with the toys from his old morah Mad

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 5:35 pm
Talk to the morah about it.
Could be that she does have adequate toys but your toddler is just used to the toys at his old morah.

Rachel Shira

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 6:56 pm
What toys does she have?

Amarante

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 7:00 pm
You should definitely check out what toys the new playgroup actually has because your child's version of events might just be his adjusting to *new* toys.

However having an adequate amount of toys which are interesting to children is critical to a well run play group. As my mother, the teacher, used to say - the work of children is play. That is, they are learning important skills by "playing" with appropriate toys that engage the minds and interests.

boysrus

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 8:57 pm
are you sure she doesnt keep a lot of the toys in a different room and bring them in as they are being used?
also , because of covid, lots of playgroup morahs have told me that they are using some toys one day, then putting those away for a couple of days and using others each day, in case any germs are on there, it will give the germs time to die before being used again.
I am sure there is a good reason!

SingALong

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 1:15 am
I had the same reaction to ds playgroup 2 years ago, so I asked the Morah, do you have toys? She showed me her huge storage closet in the next room. She rotated her toys daily, took out two bins per day, always different so the kids will be excited to play with it. She also did a lot of circle time, read books, coloring, dancing to music, so she didn’t just rely on toys to entertain

ChanieMommy

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 3:07 am
What your son says does not imply automatically that they have no toys, but that he had toys he liked at the old place and he could not find them there. This might be very subjective.
It could also be that he misses his friends from the old morah, but projects it on the toys...

If there really are not toys...

While you could argue that the best toys for 2-year-olds are selected real-life objects, I would be suspicious of a playgroup without toys. It would not be an immediate exclusion criterion, but it would be definitely something that would make me ponder whether it is good idea to send the child there...It could be that they have it all thought out, with a very creative approach in education, but it could also be a sign of general neglect.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 7:14 am
I mentioned I was at orientation with him. meaning I saw the kids all playing, and when my child asked for tools, a truck etc. morah said she doesn't have. just matchbox cars.

there was a girl there that ask for a stroller for her doll and morah said she doesn't have either...

Elfrida

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 7:43 am
It sounds as though she may be sticking to toys that take up less space.

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 7:48 am
You can ask the morah if she's planning to get more toys.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers