Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
2 year old keeps throwing things, how should I react?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 9:40 pm
My 2 year old started throwing and spilling things all the time. I’m concerned that he’ll hurt someone when he throws (especially from the second floor). He also has broken things that he threw down. He understands he can’t but he just does it anyway. I don’t know how to react or what consequence to give for it. If it’s food he’s throwing then I say “I guess you’re done” and take it away. But he doesn’t seem to care so it’s not teaching him to stop! And if he threw something, I can take it away but usually he’s throwing or spilling because he’s not interested anymore. I really try not to sweat the small stuff but I’m really nervous about something he throws hurting someone.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 9:45 pm
Is he throwing out of the house or in the house? If he’s throwing out of the house, then close the window or make sure you have window screens. If he’s throwing in the house, then take his hand every time he throws something down, pick up whatever he threw down, and place it on the table/counter. Just say “we don’t throw, you can put it nicely on the table”. Rinse and repeat. Make him pick up whatever he threw down so he understands what you want him to do with things.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 9:49 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Is he throwing out of the house or in the house? If he’s throwing out of the house, then close the window or make sure you have window screens. If he’s throwing in the house, then take his hand every time he throws something down, pick up whatever he threw down, and place it on the table/counter. Just say “we don’t throw, you can put it nicely on the table”. Rinse and repeat. Make him pick up whatever he threw down so he understands what you want him to do with things.

In the house. I used to make him clean up after himself but it turned into me chasing him around the house with a paper towel and I figured that’s probably just aggravating the problem. I can’t force him to do things.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 11:33 pm
Oh my! My 2 ye old does the same and I’m helpless 😃

These babies are POWERFUL!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 9:23 am
Bump. Really need some ideas...

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 10:26 am
Its a phase most 2 year olds go though. It'll pass. Just make sure he doesn't throw out of the house so noone gets hurt.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 12:02 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Its a phase most 2 year olds go though. It'll pass. Just make sure he doesn't throw out of the house so noone gets hurt.

He’s throwing from the second floor to first floor (we have a loft) and can hit someone. I can’t be everywhere at once and I really need him to learn to that it’s not okay.

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 1:25 pm
The more attention you give to it the more he'll do it. Don't beat an eyelash, take his hand and distract him with a different activity.

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 3:27 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
The more attention you give to it the more he'll do it. Don't beat an eyelash, take his hand and distract him with a different activity.

This. And lock access to the loft during the day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics