Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Normal for a child to be alone in the house
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 7:23 pm
At what age so you leave a child alone and for how long. My dd,my oldest doest ever want to be left alone in the house. Or even with her younger siblings 11 months apart. She is afraid of quiet. And empty. Anyone have a kid like this?

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 7:25 pm
How old is DD? I leave a 9 year old alone for a bit. But not to watch younger siblings.
It's normal to be afraid though. Every child is different.

happy chick

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 7:26 pm
My oldest is 11, the next one is 9. They are both ok staying home alone, even w the little ones (as young as 6 mos old). But only during the day and not for too long. They'll complain about having to "babysit", but it's part of life. I also live in an apt building so maybe it's not as scary as being in a house alone.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 7:26 pm
Each child is different. Some are ready to be left in the house very young, and some still don’t like it even as teenagers.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 7:29 pm
I still dont like being home alone. basement noises creep me out. of course I do it, but I totally get why your daughter would not want to

amother
Green

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 12:07 am
I don't have kids big enough for this to be relevant, but remembering myself as a kid:

I think I would have been fine with it for a bit during the day from age 5, and at night from age 12 or so.

Of course everyone is individual

SingALong

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 1:00 am
I don’t leave kids alone at home till about age 11. Talking about leaving the house for awhile. I’d leave younger kids if I was going to a neighbor for 2 minutes To borrow an ingredient, or pick up toddle from next door playgroup. Babysit younger sibling for short spurt of time age 12 and up during the day, with immediate access the adult neighbor if needed. (Like if I run out to grocery, I can leave 12 yr old dd home with 3 yr old, and I tell neighbor, I’m going to grocery, kids are home FYI, can she call you if needed?)

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 1:05 am
By 8 my daughter was home alone for a bit from when she came home from school until I came home from work. She was fine.

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 3:38 am
I have two 11yos who have upon occasion been home alone, though usually together, since they were 9. First it was for brief periods but now they've been home alone much of the day some times. When they're both home I'll also leave them with my 4yo for up to an hour or two, and with my 2yo for just brief periods.

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 3:43 am
It depends on the kids personalities, the neighborhood, and how old the next child is. When my brother was 10 and I was 8 we were left home for short periods by ourselves (under an hour), but my mom wouldn't let me stay home alone at 9. I would say if they're a year apart 10&11 could be ok, but 11&12 is also reasonable.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 7:21 am
1. by law, in some states, if parents leave child with no adult supervison, child will be taken away and parents can be arrested. (child can play with fire, for example...)

2. I am not a child, and do not like to be home alone

;-)

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 7:25 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
1. by law, in some states, if parents leave child with no adult supervison, child will be taken away and parents can be arrested. (child can play with fire, for example...)

;-)

Different states have different laws. In my state, the age is 9. The legal age for a child to be left in charge of children younger than 9 is 13.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 8:57 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:

;-)
In israel the age is 6 when a child can be left home legally.

heidi

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:02 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

True,but child cannot legally be left with younger children until age 12

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:06 am
heidi wrote:
True,but child cannot legally be left with younger children until age 12
I was saying alone. Our neighbor had their first year old son come home from school and he was alone until his older sister came home maybe 1.5 hours later.
And really? A kid cant legally babysit until they are 12? Well, then I am sure there are a lot of illegal activities going on :/

flowerpower

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:20 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

Wow. That is young!

My children stay home alone starting from age 11. But it somehow never comes out that they’re home alone.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:25 am
Depending on the child somewhere between 10 and 12.
Start with only during the day and for a very short time. Let them call you and talk to you on your cell while you’re out.

ChanieMommy

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:27 am
I think the youngest has to be around 9 or 10...

And also I would limit the number of children present... to two or so...

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:29 am
flowerpower wrote:
Wow. That is young!

My children stay home alone starting from age 11. But it somehow never comes out that they’re home alone.
Yup, it is, but its been that way for so many years, probably before there was even a law about it. I have a friend, in her 40s who grew up in Israel, and told me that she came home from first grade and her father had shown her how to put the stove on to make herself lunch. Its just a different mentality Smile

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 10:58 am
My 14yr old. Son does not like being home alone.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics