Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Sick baby

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 10:52 am
What do I do with my 10 month old baby that is sick and at night he is not sleeping? He has fever for the past 2 days-went to the doc no ear infection, no streps etc..
He usually cries himself to sleep but I feel bad to make him cry if he's sick. I give him motrin to lower the fever but till it kicks in and once it wears off a little he is uncomfrtable...

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 10:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What do I do with my 10 month old baby that is sick and at night he is not sleeping? He has fever for the past 2 days-went to the doc no ear infection, no streps etc..
He usually cries himself to sleep but I feel bad to make him cry if he's sick. I give him motrin to lower the fever but till it kicks in and once it wears off a little he is uncomfrtable...

Is he teething?

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 11:07 am
We cosleep when baby’s sick. I resleep train after. She props herself up against my arm or chest and falls into a fitful sleep.

Alternatively, a humidifier may make her more comfortable

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 11:17 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Is he teething?

I think so but could also be a vrius..
How long will this last? need my sleep... Sad

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 11:18 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
We cosleep when baby’s sick. I resleep train after. She props herself up against my arm or chest and falls into a fitful sleep.

Alternatively, a humidifier may make her more comfortable

I used to do this when he was little, he;'s too big for it. He'll start crawling away-too dangerous

cuffs

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 11:24 am
It's tough when their sick.
Give motrin a half hour before bedtime so it kicks in by the time you put him in. Then give tylenol a few hours later if he's waking up uncomfortable

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 11:31 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I used to do this when he was little, he;'s too big for it. He'll start crawling away-too dangerous

My kid is 18 months and we still manage it. She’s super cuddly though. I put her between me and the wall and wrap my arm around her. It’s not my best sleep, but it beats staying up all night.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 11:33 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
My kid is 18 months and we still manage it. She’s super cuddly though. I put her between me and the wall and wrap my arm around her. It’s not my best sleep, but it beats staying up all night.

Aint gonna work with my little guy. he jumps out of my hands.

cuffs

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 11:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Aint gonna work with my little guy. he jumps out of my hands.

Also very dangerous and not a good habit

stillnewlywed

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 11:49 am
If he's congested put on a humidifier. If he's in pain or feverish give him motrin/tylenol 45 minutes before bed so he feels better when you put him down. Give him another dose if he wakes up during the night. I don't think cosleeping will help anyone.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 5:26 am
Maybe he' ll sleep better in his stroller? Works with my babies.
Also try giving him paikiller at least half hour before bedtime, so he goes to sleep fever- and painfree.

Teomima

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 6:20 am
He's probably either just got a plain old cold or is teething. Some medical professionals will say it doesn't cause fever but the fact is it often does. And there's usually excess drooling which will cause lose stools. And babies will teethe for days or even weeks and then stop and nothing comes out yet and then it repeats itself and every now and then a tooth pops out and there's a brief relief till the next one and this goes on for two years. Yay!

Alternate Motrin and Tylenol every three or four hours or so. Some babies react better to one than the other, and the doses can overlap, offering more relief.

As others have said, if he's congested, a (cold mist) humidifier can help.

Personally I wouldn't let a sick baby cry themselves to sleep. Usually they're more comfortable in an upright position so I'd hold my child till they fell asleep then put them down. Yes this means I sleep very little when my babies are sick. But this is what works for me.

Success10

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 6:25 am
It sounds like teething. Regardless, it's an adjustment with your first child, losing sleep. Give medicine if there's a fever and remind yourself that this too shall pass.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:36 am
Please don’t let your poor sick baby cry themselves to sleep!
Btw letting your baby cry themselves to sleep every night is pretty sad too.
It shouldn’t be every night. I’m not pro CIO at all and think it’s neglectful parenting but even staunch CIO proponents would say they shouldn’t be crying every night....
Please try a more gentle way for your baby to sleep!
Refuah Shelaimah to your baby!

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:40 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Please don’t let your poor sick baby cry themselves to sleep!
Btw letting your baby cry themselves to sleep every night is pretty sad too.
It shouldn’t be every night. I’m not pro CIO at all and think it’s neglectful parenting but even staunch CIO proponents would say they shouldn’t be crying every night....
Please try a more gentle way for your baby to sleep!
Refuah Shelaimah to your baby!

Right, the whole point of the CIO method is that they learn to fall asleep on their own. If he’s crying every night it’s not working. And if he’s sick he needs extra cuddles. This is part of parenting.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics