Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Holes in baby corn?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 3:46 pm
Anyone ever seen this?

Would you think it's a possible bug issue? (It's a can of corn with a hechser but that doesn't mean they couldn't have missed something, right?)

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 4:40 pm
Hechsher doesn’t mean it isn’t buggy.
Unless it says specifically that don’t need to check.
Usually canned corn doesn’t need checking but if it doesn’t look right I wouldn’t use it.

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 5:06 pm
Hmm. I would think it was done by a worm and toss it.

Elfrida

Post Sat, Sep 05 2020, 1:19 pm
The hechsher normally certifies that they have a reliable cleaning process, that eliminates risk of most bugs, not that they have sat down and individually checked every single piece of corn. There is never a 100% guarantee that no bugs will get into it.

If there are visible holes, that is enough to arouse suspicion that there are bugs. You can either check each piece individually until you are satisfied that it is bug free (or not) or just chuck the lot.

I've occasionally found bugs in pre-checked grains. I like to check through them quickly before using.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Sep 05 2020, 3:15 pm
I once opened a bag of "triple washed kosher lettuce", and found a ton of aphids inside. Surprised

It was so gross, I stopped buying bagged lettuce. Now I take each leaf and check it myself. I don't trust overworked, underpaid factory workers.

That's why I'd rather check my own broccoli and cauliflower, instead of buying frozen. If my great grandparents could do it, then so can I.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen